Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My CNC build.

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by nickhofen, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Nick,
    I thought about this leveling with epoxy. But, I did not know how to remove a traces of a resin's surface tension (after removing the formwork)
    How will you do it?
    Без имени-1.jpg

2. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

And the next day I will wake up dead,wife is a chemical , no one will find out the reason of my death!!!:lol:

3. nickhofen

I do not think that the cncing is about fast building ,it is faster to build a guitar with templates, especially the body, the time is reversed at the neck,I believe it is faster to shape a neck with a cnc than by hand.
    What I think is cnc is another tool or robot,as my son says that can do multiple tasks with accuracy of .01 , also cncing is addicted as Marty and Andre had told me at our very first discussions about how to choose and buy a cnc.
    Your questions and Dave's also are relative to what guys that do not have gas with guitars, keep asking us,about our obsession to buy more expensive guitars, parts , pickups etc....it is all about gas...:D

4. nickhofen

OK I keep the sentence "It is all Greek to me" :lol::lol::lol:

Have a great Christmas for you too Dave and for everyone here at TDPRI also!!!

Nice story the one you share with your first experience with a transistor....

5. nickhofen

Your observation is very good Deneb.
    From what I see at the cnc forums,the guys over there use a rasp or a utility knife,in an angle to cut those traces.
    Also something else I forgot to post is that if someone try the resin trick it is good to use taped sides, simple packing tape will prevent epoxy binding to sides and will give you great finish.;)

6. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Just to add my 2 cents to Nick's thought's above , I agree , CNC'ing to me or what got me going with it and keeps me going is the GAS . It is addictive . For a guitar builder there are a lot of benefits . I think you can do bodies and necks faster on a CNC than you can with templates , but not right away , like anything else it takes time and experience . Some of the benefits , no more templates are needed(for guitar bodies , necks , pickguards , pickup rings , control covers , flatware , etc) , if tir (total indicated runout) is low , no fret slotting jigs are needed , no radius beams are needed (you can make your own to finish sand fret board radius after machining it ). No more cutting to the line and sanding to the line . Inlays are easier to do .Knobs , tuner holes , string through holes , ferrule holes . CNC's can and do handle 3D work like radius and neck profiles , belly cuts , arm cuts , carve tops etc , relief carves , but that's a slower process than 2D work which a good machine can fly through . That's just some of the benefits I see and that's just guitar related stuff , there are a lot of other benefits outside of guitar work also.
    But like I said and Nick said , it was all about just wanting to do it , learn it , that got me into CNC , I didn't even realize most of the benefits until I had it for a while and started getting comfortable with it .

nickhofen likes this.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The past couple of days I used my previously mothballed pcncautomation router to cut out my new parlor guitar acoustic top to 1/4" oversize, rout out the rosette mortise, and cut out the walnut rosette wedges (Ten@ 36 degree wedges with two different radii at the top and bottom to fit into the mortise. It got thickness sanded and is now ready for braces. This would have been a lot more work doing it with other tools.

While the pcnc not as nice as my K2 router, I'm going to try and make use of it for the winter since it is in the basement with heat.

nickhofen likes this.

8. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Got a picture of it Marty ?

9. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The top?

top.jpg

10. nickhofen

Can someone tell me what is a pcnc? : (

Deneb likes this.

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The brand of the cnc router is pcncautomation. They went belly up shortly after starting to make and ship their machines. You can read all about it at the cnczone.

nickhofen likes this.

12. nickhofen

Marty ,those cnc machines looks robust.

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    There are two weak points to the design. The linear rails are like drawer guides. They are sloppy. There is also a lot of bent sheet metal that while well engineered is just the wrong material for the application. The Z flexes way too much when entering the wood making it fine for a yard ornament but just not accurate enough for a guitar body or neck.

nickhofen likes this.

14. nickhofen

I start the X axis build, I use the L beam technique that is found to be more sturdy than other constructions, I use aluminium extrusions 90mm x 45mm, other guys use metal beams.
    26133164_2012864622328193_406330871_n.jpg 26174784_2012864608994861_1551611946_n.jpg 26133431_2012864538994868_1858479474_n.jpg 26174972_2012864495661539_632404961_n.jpg

15. nickhofen

Here is a test that a guy release at mucncuk ,the guy's name is Jcarpenter !!! I imagine what he could do if his name was Jmachinist or Jcncer..:lol:

His exact words before the party begins:
    "Got some math working (I think) to compare different Gantry cross sections. Would appreciate any criticisms or comments on my methodology."

And the results of deflection at different kinds of gantry.

reflection 0f 0.125"
    Gantry_0_Result_hc 0125 deflection.jpg
    Reflection .056...
    Gantry_2_Results_hc.056 reflection.jpg

Reflection of .034"... Gantry_4_Results_hc 0.034.jpg
    Gantry_5_Results_2_hc0.034.jpg

The major problem is when the Z axis is extended very low to the higher negative, as you can see from the photo.
    So it is better when you cut hard wood or aluminium the piece you are working to be close to the gantry and not let the Z axis to lower at his limit.

16. nickhofen

The winner of all designs for the X axis is the box design, with deflection of 0.024", but this design gives an extra problem: Where to place the ball screw that moves the plate with the spindle or router !!!

Attached Files:

17. smokehousewilly

smokehousewilly Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple
    I'm inspired by this thread. Starting a 747 for the new year.

nickhofen likes this.

18. nickhofen

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Nick, the units for the amount of deflection is in mm not inches. So, the worst one is .125mm which is only 0.0049". So the gantry_2 of 0.056 mms is only 0.0022". unless you are really building close tolerance parts, that is more than acceptable.

nickhofen likes this.

20. nickhofen

Yes Robert those are in mm sorry I put the inches mark there, was not on purpose!

GunsOfBrixton likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.