Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My CNC build.

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by nickhofen, Dec 15, 2017.

1. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

It was two years ago that I purchase my first CNC, after so many discussions with many of you guys that motivate me to move on and find to buy a cnc machine and also to start working on CAD and CAM programs.

Two years ago everything was looking so scaring about cncing and I believe that I wouldn’t have make a move to cnc world if Marty (Guitarbuilder), Andre Tessier (BLuesblooded) , Herb (Adirondak5),Robert(Gunsof Brixton), Rick (R. Startenstein) have give a push and motivate me to move on and make the “Big” step at cncing!

The man who help the most of all is Helmut(I build my own), since he help me to buy a new old stock cnc from Germany ,that the seller over there, was not willing to ship outside Germany and helmut also manage to ship the machine to Greece for me!

I upgrade that Cnc keep it for about one year and learn a lot about speed and feed, cutting tools, CAM programs and also made some beautiful things, that machine was sold at the end of 2016.

SOoooo, now it is my turn to give to people, knowledge and try to make clearer some things about cnc building , to point that I can, since I have so many things to learn .

A big thanks also to the guys at mycncuk and cnczone.

I have design my new cnc to cut wood and aluminum, cutting area on the bench will be around 2 x 3 foot .

Materials I am going to use : Steel for the frame , aluminum extrusions, ballscrews , HIWIN square rails and HIWIN blocks (bearings) , machined aluminum ¾ “ .

More to come soon.

2. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Looking forward to the build Nick ! Glad you're sticking with it ;)

nickhofen likes this.

3. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan

4. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Excellent Nick! Looking forward to seeing your design.

nickhofen likes this.

5. nickhofen

Here is my very first attempt to design something complex at a CAD program.
    This is the first design I made for the cnc bench and lately I found that this bench has several issues for a cnc that is going to cut aluminum, it is ok only for a wood cutting machine.So that design was discard.
    workbench1.jpg

Snook likes this.

6. nickhofen

Why that bench was not good for an aluminium cutting machine:

The answer is resonance.
    Resonance is the killer of accuracy.

When I design that bench, I didn't now that so as you can see, at my design I use toll legs and not enough bracing.Also for main frame I use 2" square steel tubes,I find later with the help from the guys at the cnc forums that I need bigger steel tubes for the main frame,with thicker walls, 3'' and 1/4 is what i use now.
    Later when the frame is finished I am going to fill the legs with sand or discarded machine oil, both are used as resonant dampers!

7. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Very impressive Nick .

nickhofen likes this.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Man, I'll say. Are you getting a contract with NASA to build super-accurate rocket parts? :lol::lol:

Looking forward to this thread.

nickhofen likes this.

9. nickhofen

Thanks Herb, I try to keep the info in an order so anyone who is interesting can follow.

Lol ,no such thing Rick but it seems that I wont have the chance to spent money to build another cnc so I try to make it worth it, my goal is to finish this build and have a machine that at least can cut accurate parts for woodworking , if i manage to make it work with aluminum also then I will be double happy!

Deneb likes this.

10. nickhofen

Will leave the bench for now and see first the CNC axis that usually causes the least troubles, in my opinion,lol .
    The Y or long axis.
    Nothing too complex here,two parallel rails two ball screws and two motors, for my design.
    bed and x axis.jpg

Deneb likes this.

11. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    For me it will be a very interesting thread! I press the "Watch Thread"

nickhofen likes this.

12. nickhofen

Thanks Deneb,from what I see at you pin router thread,I am going to need you at the welding part of the CNC building!!!

Deneb likes this.

13. nickhofen

Although the Y or long axis is not too complicated as everyone can see at my design that does not mean it is underestimate.
    It must not be flimsy since this axis is going to held the gantry and it accepts all kind of forces, lengthwise forces, compression,crosswise,twist forces...

Many people that decide to build their own cnc and start to study so they can make their own design ,about at this point they leave their goals and start to look at ready machines or cnc kit.

Do not do it! Most of the CNC kits or ready CNC machines has weak points ,you can build a better machine with less or the same money....

RogerC, R. Stratenstein and Deneb like this.

14. nickhofen

The above statement " Most of the CNC kits or ready CNC machines has weak points " is not something that comes from my experience with cnc machines, I am not experienced at all since i use to have a cnc machine and this one is the first I am going to build!
    Τhis conclusion comes from two years discussions,and of course there are many good machines that if I can afford I would buy them ASAP! One of those is Herb's cnc!

15. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Nick , I pretty much agree with the statement " Most of the CNC kits or ready CNC machines has weak points " . A machine that can't do what you want or need it to do is an expensive boat anchor . You have to really do research when you go that route . If you have the time and resources to do a ground up machine proper you are ahead of the game . I would still like to build a machine someday , especially now that I actually know a little bit more than when I started off with CNC . I am happy with my machine , going on the 5th year , its not outdated , works as it did when new , still accurate and reliable . Either way , whether you do a ground up build , go with a kit , or go with a turn key machine you need to do your homework .

sergiomajluf and nickhofen like this.

16. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Good luck with the build. Hey you give me too much credit. The real credit goes to mother in law over there who never dreamed her entire life that she would be the receiver of a CNC- and my nephew and girlfriend who handled the box forwarding. Yes, we all work for you!!!:D

nickhofen likes this.

17. nickhofen

Thanks all Helmut's family then, who enter me to the cnc world! :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017

18. nickhofen

25465990_2007157869565535_1184361444_n.jpg Today's spoiler photo from welding work on the bench.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    n__B, Deneb and adirondak5 like this.

19. nickhofen

I think my dog (Cookie) and the cat (Lazarus) was white before I start to weld!!!:lol:

Attached Files:

Deneb and adirondak5 like this.

20. nickhofen

At the beginning of this thread, I wrote I am going to use square rails.
    The rails that are common for cnc building are the square and the round rails.
    Each one of those two has advantages and disadvantages but the superiority of square rails plus the price drop at the last years makes them the number one choice for a sturdy machine with nice and smooth move.
    Here is a good article about square and round rails.
    http://www.machinedesign.com/archive/round-or-square

The main problem if someone decide to use square rails is the leveling and the flatness, this is something that can overcome with shimming, milling,or epoxy pouring.
    Here are a couple of photos that demonstrate the pouring technique.
    Photos are taken from my cncnuk.com
    epoxy pouring1.JPG epoxy pouring 2.JPG

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Deneb likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.