Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My child not allowed on field trip today...I let the administration have it!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Junkyard Dog, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

That's called 30 years of successful marketing by a group out to denigrate teachers.

Their objectives ? One we can't talk about and the other of course is money.

I wasn't a sucker that took the bait - were any of you ?

Evidently - some were...

As a parent, one of the greatest gifts you can teach your kids is to know how to detect when they are being marketed to/fed a line of h*******t.

o_O

drlucky, Uncle Bob and blowtorch like this.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Why are you so bitter? Yes...Stihl sells a much better saw, but a Homelight is affordable.

Sollipsist and haggardfan1 like this.

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

not me.

4. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Next time I’m in the market for a chainsaw I’m gonna look for the Bruce Campbell endorsement or else - I’m not buying !

william tele likes this.

5. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    If missing a field trip is the worst thing that happens to a child in their tenth year, I think the kid is doing alright.

Seems to me this is a case of a helicopter parent over reacting.

REWTX and LocoTex like this.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Field trip to chainsaw factory, woo-hoo!

drlucky, LocoTex and drf64 like this.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.

8. BigDaddyLH

^^^ True, true. but here I was, enjoying this thread, IBTL :(

9. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Bye bye thread ! (Waving arm emoji )

10. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I didn't read every post but I see this mixup as an opportunity to improve the process. How about proposing they go online with their "permission slips"? When a field trip is coming up, parents will get an email from the school informing them it's coming. They can then go online and fill out a simple form which is the "permission slip". That way there's no worrying about someone losing a piece of paper or getting upset about who lost what.

william tele and Chick-N-Picker like this.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    That makes sense. It would simplify the process and provide better information in both directions.

It also takes away one opportunity for adolescents to learn to be responsible and accountable.

Maybe there is a middle ground that accomplishes both?

12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

13. BigDaddyLH

That reminded me of the time I chased my girlfriend down the hall of our apartment. We made it as far as the entranceway, on the other side of the apartment door :twisted:. (I think she wanted to be caught.) Ahem, later someone knocked on the door and mentioned keys were left hanging in the lock. It's lucky this good Samaritan didn't just let himself in earlier :eek:

drf64 likes this.

14. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    I couldn't agree more. It's most important to teach these children to be responsible for themselves. It was their responsibility to get the slip signed, not the teacher's. It wasn't a secret. I bet that teacher reminded the kids over and over. My 5th grader just missed a field trip because she didn't get her slip signed. She knew it was her responsibility and blew it off. She was bummed out but learned a valuable lesson.

PS
    My wife is the assistant principal of the school she attends

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Well. We only have OP'S version of events. But he reports his kid did turn in the slip on time. And it went into the ether somewhere between the homeroom teacher and the teacher leading the field trip.

This can also represent a life lesson. **** happens that isn't fair. But that's a lot tougher lesson to visit on a 10 year old, based on mistakes of adults over which she has control.

drlucky, bendercaster and Doctorx33 like this.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    If the OP's tale happened for real, I would've made a Father - Son day to go where ever and do whatever. I'm sure the kid would've enjoyed that far more and the time together would be remembered throughout his life.

As for Teachers pay, they don't make enough and they shouldn't have to pay for the children's supplies either. Why is it that teachers make so little pay and School System Superintendents/School Board members get paid high salaries? Sometimes extremely high.

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

While that would work in many to most cases, the segment of the low income population that doesn't have internet would be an issue. There are still people who don't have phones to call home too. You'd still have to have analog permission slips for those kids.

t guitar floyd likes this.

18. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    It's still open. All of you jumped the gun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.