Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My child not allowed on field trip today...I let the administration have it!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Junkyard Dog, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    To be a fair comparison we need to know

A. When was this?
    B. What does it start at now?
    C. What does it pay now after 25-30 years.
    D. How much further education was required to keep your job (not to gain advancement or raises but KEEP from being fired) Who paid for it?
    E. How often did you pay out of pocket for supplies, materials and yes even clothing so your clients could do their jobs..

It would also be interesting to know what other professionals holding a masters or equivalent advanced degree living in the area make.

Perhaps Perry Mason Esq. or Happy Builder Arch.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    drlucky likes this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Alright boys, better circle them wagons this thread is gettin' the schoolmarms all riled up. What with the OP and them taking pot shots at each other, we better circle up just a tad tighter! Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

[​IMG]

drlucky and Tele1966 like this.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK

4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The OP best be thankful they have all but outlawed corporal punishment in the schools. It was in the fifth grade I got my first taste of the paddle. I'm guessing the OP would really have been up tight with that. If I had been in that situation as a fifth grader, I would have had to hide out in the gin yard for at least a week. Old man Reardon would have paddled me for causing such a ruckus that my old man came to the school, my old man would have put a double helping of WA on me for causing him to go down to the school. Yep gin yard and garbage cans for a week.

drlucky and Tele1966 like this.

5. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Bummer. The bright side is this is a great opportunity to teach your child about always asking for a receipt. "Here teacher so-and-so... can you sign this note saying you received my signed permission slip? Thank you!"

brbadg, Wally and william tele like this.

6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

A. 1990
    B. $30k
    C. $70k

Senior engineers with 30 years top out at $90k. 70-80 hour weeks and eat a lot of vacation time because it's just not worth it. The deadlines don't wait for time off.

7. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I just realized, my old man took off for the last time when I was 10, so I might have lucked out there.

Sollipsist, drlucky and Tele1966 like this.

8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Interesting.. I graduated w/ a number of engineers; one was a structural consultant who simply didn't comeback to school after making 25K in the summer of 1984, another who was a aerospace engineer; she started at 45K in 1986, and was making over 100K in 1990, she did work long hours, cutting back to part time to have kids was 40 hours a week, she is now a consultant for NASA, probably still does 100K per annum, but only works a few months a year.

Have you considered teaching? many tech/STEM schools would be glad to have a experienced engineer and there are often programs that allow you to teach while earning your credential over the summer "vacation". Those are usually well funded for STEM candidates so you would not be much "out of pocket" and with life experience credits you would probably not be far off your present salary from the get go. Of course it takes most folks 5-6 years to really get classroom management down, but there is a learning curve in any career change.

t guitar floyd likes this.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'm an engineer earning enough to drive a BMW and buy my wife an SLK as an anniversary gift. I wouldn't be where I am if not for great teachers in public school and college. It bothers me to see teachers picked on like in this thread. BTW, my kids had great teachers and my granddaughter has a great one too. Let's stop beating up teachers. Nobody ever did better knowing less and our teachers had a lot to do with how much we know.

10. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Gee, I drove right past the Montgomery County fairgrounds today, and I didn't see anything at all. The Ag Fair is always in August.

http://mcagfair.com

Am I missing something? Is there a second one somewhere that I didn't know about? I don't see anything scheduled for May except the weekend flea market.

t guitar floyd likes this.

11. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Am I the only one who saw a post from getbent and had to double check to see if I had stumbled into a Zombie Thread?
    o_O:D:twisted:

12. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Izuzhim

FenderGyrl likes this.

13. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland

ce24 likes this.

14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Long day. Just checking back in here to TDPRI, and I am overwhelmed with all the supportive messages from you all! I feel so blessed!

The principal called and left a message with my office this morning. She was not at the school, was working from home today, and asked that I call her cell. I returned her call several times, but was never able to reach her.

Also I received a call at my office from the P.E. teacher who was in charge of the field trip. She was very apologetic, very sincere, felt horrible, etc. It turns out the school DID have my child's permission form, but it never got into her hands. Basically my child turned the form into homeroom (different teacher) as instructed, and it's not clear what happened from there...not important (to me anyway). She offered that my child could attend the same trip on Friday with another elementary school...apparently the fairgrounds are closed to the public all week, and each day several schools are scheduled to go. That's pretty much a non-starter, as my child really just wanted to go with the class. It was nice of her to offer anyway.

I'll try again tomorrow to speak with the principal.

richiek65 likes this.

15. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    A Welcome Return ;):D:)

viccortes285 and Toto'sDad like this.

16. 1293

May 18, 2006
    Just to be clear, I'm not beating up on teachers. Most of my friends are teachers. My son has great teachers. My SIL was a teacher, my neice is a teacher and another neice is a university professor and is currently a fellow at the NSF.

JL_LI likes this.

17. 1293

May 18, 2006
    Nope, I'm done. I left that company after 17 years and joined a startup. Did well with options and retired at 46. It literally almost killed me. I ended up with GI bleeding and suffered acute kidney failure. My doctor called me up and insisted the lab results had to be a mistake because I wouldn't be alive if they were correct but I should get my ass to the er.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    My post was not in reply to any specific post. I voiced an objection to a tenor I don't like running through the thread all day long.

19. 1293

May 18, 2006

20. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Indeed!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.