Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My child not allowed on field trip today...I let the administration have it!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Junkyard Dog, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    My wife runs a performing arts school. At least one in twenty letters entrusted to a pupil to take to their parent(s) go missing, different pupils every time. But, if the form was to gain permission for the child to do something, or go somewhere, she just can’t take the risk of allowing it without proof of consent. God forbid a child falls off stage and is injured. If the parent hadn’t given permission, then it’s down to the school, writs are issued. The issue in this case is more that a decent school would have pursued the form rather than just sit on their hands and have a disappointed kid.

drlucky, Norton72 and william tele like this.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Do you speak English, what is your first language!.

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Makes perfect sense to me.

:)

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Only after a fashion. However, I'm happy to explain what I wrote if that helps you.

kelnet likes this.

5. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Must be me then......I speak Esperanto like a native

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Believe you me my friend, I’m beyond help, my problem not yours but thanks for the offer!

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    This thread:

[​IMG]

drlucky, brbadg, Alamo and 3 others like this.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Fortunately, all aboard had permission slips.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Just try putting one of them big permission slips in the back pocket of your cargo shorts. I'll bumch your shrit.

drlucky and Tele1966 like this.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Better run while you can, they just opened the flood gates.

[​IMG]

drlucky, Tele1966 and william tele like this.

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    :lol: You win. I concede the field, good sir.

drlucky, Tele1966 and william tele like this.

12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

I don't think that's current. My son's kindergarten teacher:

Hellwig, Deborah L Saratoga Springs City School District $98,161

13. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Well I just read every page of this thread. Surprised it made it. I'd read one post and think; good point. Then read the next and it would be a good point also.

There was a few I almost hit reply, but decided against it. This thread is too far along to do something crazy like bring it back to it's original purpose, which I think was something about somebodies mama. :)

Toto'sDad likes this.

14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Must be nice to be in Saratoga then. Plenty of other places have had them making only $32,000 for the last ten years.

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I know that it was a terrible thing... you only get one shot at those kinds of events and once ruined... it kind of stays that way. I understand hitting the facebook page, but maybe a sit down with the teacher and principal will help make another kid NOT miss the next trip. In the meantime, hey, maybe take tomorrow off and go yourselves (with a little hooky thrown in!)

drf64, Norton72, Wally and 2 others like this.

17. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Did you notice she has about 27 years in?

drlucky and getbent like this.

18. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

That's how it works in any profession. My first job out of college paid $18k.

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    My wife occasionally runs w/ a young lady who has a BS chem from UMd; the same institution that awarded my wife her BS in ed.

The young lady started 5 years ago at approximately the same salary my wife now makes with a masters +30 and 25 years of experience, (roughly equivalent to the top of the range for a EST in the chart above) she now makes significantly more than my wife. When she finishes her fully employer funded masters her salary will nearly double..her employer?

The USDA, her position? insuring the safety of pet food.. Now don't get wound I love my cat more than most people, and want him to have safe food as much as the next guy; but don't our teachers deserve a bit better also?

My wife was a talented high school student, and had many interests, she considered becoming a vet but decided against it as Md does not have a instate school (shared with Va)

She enjoyed her school band experience and so decided to become a teacher, while she does not regret that decision despite frozen pay; ever increasing demands, and ever dwindling respect and occasional violet outbursts from both parents and students plus significant personal expense, she does often question her choice.

Let me be clear, we are not poor, we own our home (small town house) have reliable if older cars, and have significantly more savings than the 1k that is the american average. I have a functional if basic studio, and we take a yearly vacation. We are far better off than many people I know. However we have made sacrifices; no children, much of what we own including clothing is purchased second hand, and travel out of the Mid Atlantic is a rare extravagance, involving couch surfing, and/ or our trusty tent. Yes there is significant time off but as others have pointed out you are not paid for that time, and you are expected to take courses and perform other professional duties during that time.. it's a trade off.

Most schools now set ed as a competitive admission 5 year program, with significant unpaid time for the "student teaching" internship (now stretched over a full years at many schools) that require a serious outlay of cash for "incidentals" from the student.

Summer opportunities are still mostly limited to traditional minimum wage camp worker positions. A (out of pocket) Masters is required, the class work often needing to start immediately after a one to two year probationary period. The requirement for class work will continue for your entire career, even after you reach the top of your pay scale ( a rare occurrence in the age of the wage freeze) While there are partial reimbursements sometimes available those funds are also often frozen.

Compare this to other professions where you can begin at a good salary after only 4 years of school, receive well paid summer internships, (often with a good job awaiting you after graduation) and employer assisted professional development, and receive merit based raises for your entire carrier and we are returning education to a option that is only attractive for those who wish something better staying "down on the farm" except now it is those who wish for something more than a part time minimum wage position. Not that this is a bad thing, getting out of Smallville makes you appreciate it more when you return. At first flush 30-35K sounds pretty good if that's your background, that's untill you find out that your frat bro, or the gal next to you in band is looking at starting at 2-3X that, and made 15K over the summer.

I was one of those kids, I was told teaching was not for me, at the end of my student teaching term(keep that in mind, most ed programs can dump you out right up to and even after graduation) so I did other things.. including teaching as a PT/adjunct for twenty years at various private schools and colleges and universities... go figure. BTW that doesn't pay much more than saying "Hello" at a big box, and that is just wrong, but a conversation for another time.

Some one must teach our children, and it would be nice to at least show them the respect that the graduates of the two year "Normal" school programs received all those years ago.
    They didn't earn much either, but no one told them to go "F" themselves without consequences. .

Last edited: May 15, 2018

20. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I'm thinking if the kid had a few days to do this and the teacher reminded the class daily and he did not do it, then it is his fault. I do not think the school is to blame for this. I am not sure why the conversation wasn't "Well I guess next time if you want to go, you should make sure you turn in the form" 5th grade, that is not too much to ask. Teachers are busy; kids need to learn some responsibility.

drlucky and Wally like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.