Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My child not allowed on field trip today...I let the administration have it!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Junkyard Dog, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

There's a lot of stress out there these days.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I ain't seen my old man is 65 years, if you happen to bump into him tell him it's okay if he comes home now.

drlucky and telemnemonics like this.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm still being amazed at how many internet opinions on things that I consider to be "no brainers" are opposite of my own. I'm not saying "I'm amazed at how many wrong people there are"...I'm saying that my opinion could surely be wrong, given the sheer numbers of people who see these seemingly obvious things 180 degrees differently.

The thing that surprises me most is when anyone tries to direct the conversation toward solutions, rather than just casting blame, the need to be "consistent" won't allow us to change an opinion. I guess this is the nature of the human beast, but knowing that we are ALL just members of the group we like to call "those people" helps to encourage me to look for solutions rather than blame.

Wally, P Thought and Mike Eskimo like this.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I know. It's Yanni, not Laurel, right?

william tele and t guitar floyd like this.

5. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I had a grammar school teacher that perfected his forehand, backhand technique on my derriere with his tennis racket sized paddle fashioned from 3/4 inch plywood. I truly hated that guy until I was 17 years old. Then one night my pickup truck wouldn't start at the drive in movie where my girlfriend and I had gone to the movies. Unknown to me, my old teach had his share of problems and worked at the drive in to make a little extra cash. He had a 56 Oldsmobile which was his pride and joy. (his car might have been part of his cash flow problem)

When all the cars had cleared out, Mr. S came over and offered to help me. We couldn't get the truck to start even with some jumper cables that he produced. In the end, he pulled a twenty foot chain out of the trunk of the his car, and we hooked that pretty car of his to my pickup and he pulled me seven miles to my house. When I attempted to pay him for his troubles he wouldn't take any money, and insisted we were even. I think he must have felt bad for all the times he kicked my rear, and this was his way of paying back.

One things for sure, it changed my attitude about him, and teachers in general. I wish I had gotten off to a better start in school, maybe life would have been different for me. It turned out pretty good anyway, but it might have been even better if I had have had a better attitude in school. I think teachers in general have a pretty hard row to hoe. Unless they are teaching at the university level, they aren't ever going to make any real money. The only satisfaction they get is that of performing a service for humanity in general.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 12:43 PM
    bender66, drlucky, P Thought and 4 others like this.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Tribalism.

Intractability.

Inconvenient truths.

That last thing was what college was supposed to be about - casting away what we always thought was "right" and realizing that we were completely wrong up to that point. (or at the very least, that there was another equally valid way to look at the same thing).

And we could continue to be wrong (and cling to other misguided folks) or we could change course and get - smarter/better/more open.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Even if we have some rough moments we try to circle back around with that theory.

I have empathy here as a parent, wife is a teacher, and I remember a little bit of being a kid. Also that in spite of years, education, and experience I can still mess up.

My wife has enough of all this in her day job so I've been he permission slip guy. At least once a week I have a session whether or not the kids realize it. We're admittedly hands off compared to a lot of parents we know. I do stuff like ask if anything's due, if any help's needed, suggest we look at calendar, but I don't do everything for them.

When the kids have messed up as the OP's happened I've use it as an example of how you have to follow up even if you thought you did something. So far the junior and 2 8th graders have survived the tough moments when I've made them walk, have exactly same thing happen, or suffer consequences for similar mess ups.

Maybe I'm easy on the teachers knowing crazy tough and dangerous job my wife has. I support them when it's about the sort of stuff we all need to know to succeed. My kids sure learned when they missed stuff or the bus.

8. BigDaddyLH

I missed this comment at the time, but I gotta say, that's an excellent point. Kids learn from us all the time, not just when we say, "hold muh beer and watch this!"

Toto'sDad likes this.

9. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    It's Laurel. I know 'cause I saw it on the TV news. :cool:

10. BigDaddyLH

:( I can only hear "yanni". Fake news?

Toto'sDad and t guitar floyd like this.

11. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    I use them all time. Almost over kill sometimes I'll even refer to a girl around my own age as ma'am. Sometimes I'll catch myself and not call her ma'am.

I don't think a 25 year old girl likes being referred to as ma'am by someone her own age. She would probably think, how old do I look? Which might make her feel bad.

But yeah, man, I use ma'am and sir a lot. ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    Johnson johnson and Toto'sDad like this.

12. imwjl

That incompetence is in every job. Long before I married a teacher I built my own respect because the few special ones we get made all the difference in my life.

I'm from an off the boat family. I didn't win the birth or other lottery. I also survived the 1960s with learning disabilities that are quite manageable now. Just a few teachers made an amazing strong foundation I could build on. For the most part it was about education. In some cases it was about standing up and protecting me from prejudice.

When one of those teachers probably typical of a poor stereotype learned I dropped out of college and was a truck driver he was PISSED OFF and said I better get back in college. When I did return to school I realized just a few of all the teachers I had K-12 made a big difference in my life.

Most jobs are the exceptions as you've said. How many are the real leaders and sharpest knifes in the kitchen??? Not many. We need to support teachers so today's kids can have same experience I had where in all those k-12 years a few of many made all the difference in the world.

When my kids have teachers who are not the best it's used as a lesson to know you might not have the best boss some day. Deal with it. When my kids have good teachers we use that to get to a next level in life.

With relatives in other parts of the world I also see we don't respect, compensate and select teachers as well as some places.

You should probably rephrase that and say some teachers are not the sharpest knifes. Just like the work place there's a lot of mediocrity but enough greatness in a few to make all the difference.

drlucky, Toto'sDad and telemnemonics like this.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    When my Mother was approaching the end of her life, she asked me to tell her what things she had done wrong in raising me.
    My wife's parents have expressed a similar regret in saying "we tried to be good parents".

My best shot at explaining to my Mother that she had not done anything really wrong in raising me, pointed out that I grew up in a community, where all the others had potentially more collective influence on my childhood than she alone had.

To be sure, the greatest developmentally harmful influence I felt as a child trying to figure out how to become an adult came from my collective community, and every member exhibited some of this.

Individuals ingrained self righteous propensity for condemning others who look, think, dress, speak and act differently; serves to divide communities and teach hatred.

Maybe a need to identify the enemy is so hardwired into our DNA that we must find a culprit in order to define ourselves and build our walls of psychic safety.

One of the (IMO) really good things my Mother taught me was to not believe something is right, just because an adult tells me so, unless it feels right to me in my heart. She added: "even if I say it".

She did not teach me to blindly accept everything adults said and did.
    To my thinking, using the "yes maam no maam" benchmark as a defining feature of a good child; is convenient for authority, but not a functional ideal for creating vital healthy individuals and communities.
    Blind acceptance of authority?

It is more and more obvious that humanity's inability to accept others who appear different is killing us all.

We cannot isolate any group for our disdain without harming ourselves in the process.

14. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    As long as people are encouraged to all be alike and not excel, we are going to keep producing mediocre adults. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING BETTER AT SOMETHING THAN SOMEONE ELSE IS. Isn't that what getting better at playing guitar is all about being the BEST you can be? When people are rewarded for being able to recognize that a dog is not a cat two out of three times, there is something sorely wrong with the system. If you don't understand what I'm saying, I can't elaborate without infringing on or breaking the rules of the forum.

telemnemonics likes this.

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Oh yeah, I forgot about your part of the world. You have changed my opinion and understanding of the common use of "yessir" and "ma'am." Do lots of folks still say "yes'm"? (I'm not sure of the spelling, but it's the shortened form of "yes ma'am." Imagine Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird.)

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    A good time for parents and teachers to come together and affirm that they are allies in the welfare of children?

imwjl likes this.

17. Chick-N-Picker

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    I agree with things you've said. But I don't see using sir or ma'am as blind acceptance to authority but more as a sign of respect. At least that's why I use it.

I question rules, laws, and authority all the time. I'm pretty big on being free.

Johnson johnson likes this.

18. imwjl

Maybe I don't understand. I'm a later age parent so I know 1960s and 70s K-12, and what my kids have now. I also know from my wife's job the unfortunate pressure to at same time pass everyone but have a lot of tests.

Where my kids are taught to be alike are areas where I really wish my schooling and parents did a better job. It's not turning them into brainless no adventure kids. They're considerate kids who know how to get along in groups and organizations as well as kids with plenty of adventure whether that's learning or what they do physically.

Our being quite hands off is a bit changed up now with one having college ahead and twins starting high school next. The conferences and routines have had a bit more eyes on and hands on stuff lately. I have no complaints. All the ridiculous behavior many criticize - in general and the rants on this site - make it really darn hard to administer a school.

Maybe in your dog and cat thing you don't recognize there are kids doing well and some kids not doing well. Society and the demands on schools constantly force or pressure the institutions to deal with highly dysfunctional kids or kids in terrible circumstances the same time they have to accommodate those who will do fine.

Back to topic, I can recall times when 2 of my 3 kids missed their field trips or events when there was a mess up with the slips or payment. We all survived it. I can't imagine harassing anyone in the school. Stuff like that was our mess up. I'm just thankful the system can accommodate the thriving and troubled kids as good as it does.

drlucky and Toto'sDad like this.

19. Chick-N-Picker

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    I don't really hear "yes'm" but I know what your talking about. Sometimes people sound like they are saying it because everthing slurrrs together or tapers off. Like droppin' g's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.