Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My child not allowed on field trip today...I let the administration have it!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Junkyard Dog, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    My child (name withheld for privacy concerns) was not permitted to attend a 5th grade field trip today that he/she/zhe had been very much looking forward to. Teacher claimed they did not receive a permission slip. Now, this is my third child at the school, and I (wife also...more so) have been filling volunteer calls from them for years...arts fair volunteers needed, youth sports coaches needed, and EVEN CHAPERONING THESE VERY FIELD TRIPS...we even sent freakin' flowers in last week for teacher appreciation week for Pete's sake!!! Yet not once was I contacted to see if there was some sort of mix-up as to why they had not received my child's permission slip. This was the last field trip of the year and the best one...Montgomery County (Maryland) agricultural fair. Of course my child had my permission to go!! Why would the teacher think otherwise?! Can't believe they did not call/email me even once.

Oh...the "I let the administration have it" part of the title was just for dramatic effect, but I did post this nearly word for word to the school's Facebook page.

Last edited: May 14, 2018

2. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    MPLS
    Agricultural fair? You must be one of them city folk. All I need to do is drive 30 min in any direction and I get all the agriculture I can handle.

3. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

No tickee, no washee.

A lot of people don't think the rules be like they do, but they do.

Are you going to teach your kid to be responsible for themselves, or go through life blaming others? :D

MitchMiami, imwjl, Gibson and 16 others like this.

4. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Had you returned the permission slip?

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    they need that permission slip. from every single student. they can't just assume you'd given permission. not sure why you think you should be exempt from that.

My mom taught. And she had lots of stories about parents who thought they or their kids somehow deserved special treatment, and then, when they didn't get it, complained very loud.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Montgomery County, Maryland is a mixed bag. I live in a suburban neighborhood, but the county extends to farms, Potomac River, etc. So yeah, I can drive 30 minutes and pick tobacco and shoot deer and so forth too.

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    That was helpful.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    They're afraid of liability, so if there's even a bit of mixup, they're not gonna play ball. Seems that's just the way it is these days...

Last edited: May 15, 2018

9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    We did return the permission slip. Not sure what special treatment your mom, bless her heart, might be referring too here.

9fears08 likes this.

10. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    You didn't say that. You assumed WE would assume that you had.

Assuming is among the behavior that my mom, bless her heart, was referring to.

Why don't they have it, then?

Gibson and DugT like this.

11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Yes, as we have for every other field trip. We've never opted out of one of them. I have been a volunteer chaperone for several...took a vacation day and everything.

Bob Mc likes this.

12. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I hear your frustration especially if you put in the effort to help with these functions , you would think some one would have contacted you.

how ever life lesson to your squeeker about making sure the forms reach dad & mom and get returned, I wonder if your kid was reminded to turn it in and forgot!

I know Mrs 24 and myself used to help with the field trips here in Kamloops while our kid was in elementary school and they always look forward to the big one!

Obsessed likes this.

13. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Learning to take this sort of mixup in stride is a good skill.

Solrac Kai, drlucky, Nubs and 9 others like this.

14. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    That sucks. I have three in the same elementary school, all different grades. They are constantly going on field trips. I’ve chaperoned a bunch of them, too.
    I can totally see myself forgetting to return a permission slip or misplacing it and forgetting about it.
    I feel bad for your kid and for you too.

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Well, we're doing that also. But I'm not going to eat a crap sandwich without letting the school know about it. Keep in mind, this was the big end of the year field trip...for a 10 year old child.

Honest Charley and cyclopean like this.

16. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Well, then just take your kid on the same/similar trip and add some fun extras! Hey, stuff happens, we can't expect perfection. Besides, no good deed goes unpunished... we all know that ;)

Zepfan, Wally, tominwa and 2 others like this.

17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    No idea. I did at least receive an email from your mom. But It was one of those "I'm sorry your son was unable to attend the field trip" non-apology apologies.

nvilletele likes this.

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    It's unfortunate for the kid, for sure. But are you miffed that the school didn't take your kid without a permission slip? Or did you expect the school to call every parent for every kid who didn't turn in the permission slip? Or did you expect them only to call certain parents when they don't get the permission slip. I guess I've never thought about it. Is it SOP to call when no permission slip is received by a certain date?

MitchMiami, Gibson, Picton and 6 others like this.

19. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    dude. leave my mom out of this. And maybe don't just assume it was your kid's teacher's fault?

screamin eagle, Picton, Wally and 6 others like this.

20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Dude, did you not bring her into this?

nvilletele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.