Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My back wins : 6 mos old Vox AC15C1 is hitting CL...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Actually think these are great home amps (I have plenty of time each week when I can dime most any amp at home) cuz I even like their pre amp dirt and if they're at home - you don't have to move them !

But - I'll be the 10,000th person to say it - just too damn heavy.

I'm sure it'll be gone before our gig on Jan 26 but regardless - even if it's not I'll bring my Cube 60 unless I have another tube amp by then.

A recent "spine/back wake-up call" has made taking a chance on a 48.5 lb 15 watt combo not worth it.

I was even eying one of those $40 foldable carts but - nope.

Another Pro Jr or Velocette probably in my future ! :lol::lol::lol:

Live and learn...

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I hear ya I don't know why so many of the newer combo amps are so heavy. There are several that I'd consider but the weight kills the idea right off the bat.

3. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Goodsell Super 17 will replace mine. Got a lotta gear to move and cash to save tho....

Too bad nobody builds a lightweight pine cab for the Vox AC15C1-mine is glorious with the few tweaks I’ve made but it will never leave the house. No rush really as OP says it is a GREAT bedroom amp with master volume low and top boost volume at about 2/3 o’clock

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^^ If someone ever did make a pine cab - even if it didn’t look anything like a Vox box, they’d sell a bunch of them.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah I bet a light replacement cab would sell, though I guess it would be up near $300 shipped, which kinda puts a production amp up near used boutique amp price.

Not sure what the hell Vox is thinking, the few dollars they save using mdf instead of plywood makes no sense.
    Maybe one day they will release a limited edition knotty pine/ whiskey barrel/ dovetailed/ barn board version?

Dammit why build a tiny amp if it weighs as much as a medium size amp?

kookaburra likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, hard to figure why a 15 watt amp is 48 #!

emisilly, kookaburra and nojazzhere like this.
  7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Ive removed the back bottom panel drops 3# or so. Ive thought about making a pine top back panel to protect the guts that might drop 5/6 more lbs....

I’m lucky the jams I attend have British voiced big iron so I presently leave it at home.....sadly.

The Goodsell 17 is the answer -weight is no issue and with EL84 it cranks Vox magic. It’s a presently out of reach answer tho

8. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    I thought I was going to be smart, and for my AC-15(ish) build I went separate cab and head, to keep from having to carry anything that heavy all at once.

Then I proceeded to build the heaviest 2x12 speaker cabinet in recorded history :rolleyes:

9. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    MDF weighs a ton.

stnmtthw likes this.
  10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    3/4" no void birch plywood isn't light either. ( edit, I meant 5/8" though some builders are using 1/2" ply now, Dr Z finally started building some lighter cabinets.)
    Maybe pine would be lighter?

FWIW I had a Goodsell Super 17, I wasn't all that impressed with the clean tones, it sounded good but it didn't knock me out.
    Cranked up w an od pedal it sounded great but a lot of amps will do that, I had a Blues JR III that did that great, and great low volume clean tones.
    Obviously YMMV

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Main reason I let mine go. Sure it sounded great, but for that weight there are lot of choices that sound good with the flexibility in use that includes headroom.

FWIW, I got my Classic 50 Tweed Peavey to 49lb with a NEO 15 and a new baffle I made. Played it that way for a few years. Although in it current iteration with a Blue/G12H-30, not 49 lb. ;O But pushed it also sounds very good.

12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mike Eskimo and nojazzhere like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Marshall 1960 a and b 4x12 cabs have long been 5/8 birch, and their head shells were IIRC 1/2".
    3/4" is overkill, though I do like 3/4" AC fir for bigger cabs, which is similar light weight to solid pine, and to my ear has a similar tone.
    Finger jointed pine is nice but there are plenty of strong light weight plywood cab construction options.
    Certainly baffles should be 1/2" or 3/8" and back panels 1/4".
    An AC15 would be plenty sturdy made with 1/2" baltic or void free birch, assuming good const methods.

14. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

May 13, 2015
    Cicero, IL
    You guys are making me worry about my back in my old age with my AC30cc2, Sucker weighs 68-75 pounds depending on the speakers. Thank goodness for the 3 straps on the amp so a friend can help out.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Same here. I bought a used AC10C1 and it sounds just like the AC15C1, or pretty close anyway. Even with the 10" speaker. And it's a LOT lighter.

DADGAD likes this.
  16. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Good choices...but why not "keep it in the family"? AC10C1???

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  17. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

I've got the AC15c2.. Weighing in at a svelte 70lbs!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TDPRI forum mobile app

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    My band mate has an AC30 (212) and is always asking for help carrying it. Drives me nuts, honestly. I cringe every time he brings that thing.

I went with the new HRD in part because 40lbs for 40 Tube Watts is a heck of an equation.
    Something about the shape/balance of the AC15 makes it seem way heavier than the 8-9lb difference.

Evil Funk likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I guess they want you to think you get more for your money!

20. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    A Z Ghia 1 x 12 combo weighs 38# but they use a real big cabinet...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.