Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Affinity Tele Breakdown w/ Photos

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by staypuft, Aug 9, 2018.

1. staypuft

staypuft TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2018
    CT, USA
    Hello, all. First post for me but I’m a big fan of the community and have gained a lot of knowledge from everyone. So, I want to formally thank everyone for creating a great place for guitar geeks.

This post is regarding a used Affinity Squier Telecaster I picked up from a local music shop. (Maple neck, Made in China, S/N CY00079380) I’m looking for some help identifying markings I found when I took it apart. The guitar seems to have been well cared for and never modified by the previous owner. At first, I cleaned and set-up the guitar, as well as changed the pick guard and strings. I noticed two or three mis-drilled pickguard screw holes once the guard was off and the ends of some frets needed filing too. Nothing major beyond that.

**PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO ALBUM**

Recently, I started the process of upgrading the pickups. The stock electronics featured a capacitor on both pots, which are both 500K. There are close-up pictures of the stock hardware in the photo album. When I removed the stock pickups, I noticed some unidentified writing in marker in the bridge pickup cavity. As for the neck pickup cavity, I noticed there is a hole drilled from the top of the neck joint all the way through to the neck pickup cavity. Not sure if that is standard or not.

I took the neck off to inspect the neck joint and found more mis-drilled holes and black marker. It looks like there is a red stamp on the neck joint but I can’t make out what the numbers are. There was also a small yellow piece of plastic in the neck joint when I first took the neck off. The heel of the neck features a date stamp reading “July 25” but the year is smudged. There is also some kind of stamp on the back of the neck heel, which I also can’t read.

Has anyone seen similar things with their Affinity Tele’s? I know the manufacturing quality of some Chinese Fenders can be bad. Fortunately, none of this impacts the integrity of the guitar itself. Feedback would be great and thanks for taking the time to read this.

TL;DR – Need help identifying features on my ‘Made In China’ Affinity Tele. See photo album.

Solszewski1963 likes this.

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Welcome to TDPRI!

It's a 2000 Affinity, completely stock, except for the pickguard. What do you need identifying???

Congatulations on your NGD (New Guitar Day)

Solszewski1963 and staypuft like this.

3. staypuft

staypuft TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2018
    CT, USA
    Thanks for the response. Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I guess I was wondering what some of the other stamps on the neck/ neck joint mean. I also thought it was a 2007 so thank you for helping me identify it.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Welcome. Congrats on NGD!
    I haven't worked on an Affinity but have built many Telecasters. I'd go for a Fender CRL switch and wire it conventionally with the new pickups diagram. Affinities can be shallow in that cavity but a curved chisel can take care of that ( go easy) and only chisel the deepest spot ( centre of the 1/2 circle switch).
    Then wire according to the diagram that came with new pickups.
    Not sure about that hole you mention but it should not prevent a simple pickup change so long as the neck bolts on okay. ( just bolt it back on and use string to test a straight alignment)
    Pots should be 250k each and usually only one capacitor required, 0.047uF usually and/or a treble bleed with a resistor - if that's what you want. ( Google Treble bleed and it will show the value of the cap and resistor in parallel). That's all I can say.
    To a novice it sounds like some work , but it's really only an hour or so. Don't forget to ground the rear pickup to the metal base plate on under side of the bridge
    That's what the hole is there for and is that a bit of wire there? If so it's for that purpose.
    Good luck and welcome your new addiction- no health risks- just time and some money!!;)

staypuft likes this.

5. staypuft

staypuft TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2018
    CT, USA
    Thank you for the thorough response. Luckily, I've done a couple of pickup and pick guard changes on my Strat and Les Paul. I'm finding my ambition for working on the guitars far exceed my ability to practice after about 4 months. I am all-consumed by the instrument. haha

I appreciate the advice too. I'm putting a Tex Mex at the bridge and a '64 re-issue on the neck with two CTS 250ks and an authentic Fender 3-way blade (made in mexico). I bought three different caps, .022uf, .033uf and .047uf. I was thinking of trying the .033uf first. The bridge definitely has a routed hole for the ground wire. Not sure why there is a routed hole leading from the neck pickup to the neck joint, though. It's weird. I put a picture of it in the photo album. Anyways, thanks again for the response!

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    The hole is probably just part of the production process in the factory.

staypuft likes this.

7. staypuft

staypuft TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2018
    CT, USA
    Good enough for me. Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.