Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My '82 Super Champ just gained a bit of weight!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ScottJPatrick, Feb 10, 2018.

1. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    ok, 12 lbs to be exact, let's just call it middle-age spread, now weighs 35lbs all in. Special thanks to Wally and Bendyha for their support and info relating to my latest purchase. If anyone tells you that fitting one of these things is tight they're certainly not kidding, EVI 10 (Force 10 without the fancy badges) fully installed and sounding great! Hope to repair the back panel soon where someone had previously put a speaker out jack.

IMG_8494.JPG

Wally, Johnson johnson, Alamo and 2 others like this.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Hey!

Try playing it for awhile WITHOUT the top panel!

You might be amazed.

3. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Buy a fresh back panel from mojo tone. Faster and cheaper than trying to refurb one with a giant hole in it.

4. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I wouldn't spend more than 5 bucks fixing that hole if you think you have to.

Just screw a plate onto it.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

5. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    Black Gaffa tape and no one will ever notice. :)

Mr_Martin, brookdalebill and Ira7 like this.

6. ScottJPatrick

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    I could always fill it with the one that was on it when I bought it, but if I could only remember where I put those rusty carpet tacks used to hold down the lethally sharp piece of aluminium plate..........!

IMG_8168.JPG

7. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I would keep the lethally sharp plate and trade a few ounces of haggis for four kid-safe wood screws.

8. ScottJPatrick

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    A few ounces will only get you a couple of screws, I don't have enough spare haggis to afford 4, the carpet tacks are thankfully long gone, gaffa tape sounds like a plan.

9. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone

If I caught someone stealing a haggis, I'd stop him and make him take all of them....

10. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    I love the Rivera Era Fenders! I had the Twin II back in the day, best amp I ever owned. Down sized years ago to a Rivera Clubster 25 with a 10" speaker. It's like a Princeton with sour cream and tomatoes.

11. Bendyha

Bendyha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Northern Germany
    Congratulations....What are you going to do with the second EVI-10 speaker? ....look for a new amp for it?

Thats one hell of a speaker-wire you've used, could have saved a bit of weight there.

12. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    Is your AC power cord recent, grounded, not-brittle and connected properly inside?

Looks to my eyes like an aftermarket cord that might not fully comply with factory specs. Please check it or have somebody check it.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Since you mention the Princeton..... the Super Shamp is a Princeton Reverb that has been hot-rodeo. The Chubster 25 has very little in common with a Princeton/Princeton Reverb other than it runs 2x6v6’s in fixed bias. The Chubster uses a solid state input gain stage. One path does resemble a Princeton 8n that the input gain stage is followed by a tone stack nd then by a second gain stage. The other signal path...Gain mode.... travels from the solid state input gain stage to two other gain stages followed by a tone stack. The phase inverter is a long tail pair rather than the cathodyne in the Princeton/Super Champ. The Reverb in the Chubster is also in the solid state domain whereas the Fender amps mentioned here are all tube amps with regard to signal processing.

14. ScottJPatrick

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    Holding onto it in case I find another Super Champ at a decent price, a pair of them would make a great stereo setup. Yes, I have some speaker cable from a Mesa Boogie, will need to add spade connectors and a jack but that should trim it down a bit.

Pretty sure it's the original cord and it's pretty supple, they all came grounded here anyway but thanks for looking out for me!

Wally likes this.

15. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    :)I said Clubster.... The clean channel is pure Fender deliciousness

16. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    Sorry! Keeping on topic, can we get a pic of the front???

17. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Wally, isn't the SC a hybrid with ss front-end? I don't doubt it sounds good, the BF sound is more output stage. There's one for sale on local fleabay looks cherry for reasonable $$$ might make a good small gig amp and backup. I have a reconed Aus Rola cast alloy speaker I reckon would go good in it.

18. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    Whats the appeal of the EVI 10? Ive never heard of them.

19. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Paul Rivera's favourite speaker. Like the EV12L very efficient and loud, great bass and topend. Not everyone likes them.

Greenmachine likes this.

20. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    I did EXACTLY the same thing with my early '80s Super Champ---stuck an EV Force 10 in it.
    You are going to love it..... ;>)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.