Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My 72 Custom with odd neck

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Chris_R, May 11, 2015.

1. Chris_R

Chris_R TDPRI Member

May 11, 2015
    Toronto
    Maybe these photos are a bit clearer. I circled them since they aren't easy to see.

Attached Files:

• d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:
    • d2.jpg
      d2.jpg
      File size:
      13.9 KB
      Views:

2. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    So, now there is evidence it's a 68 body. In the better pic of the control cavity, besides seeing that the forward end is in fact rounded properly, you can also see that the rear side was more squared off (which is typical). And you can see a circle at the left side, where the router bit was parked (also typical).

The following pics are of a 68 body. You can see that the near end (forward on the guitar) is rounded nicely, but the far end is somewhat squared off in comparison. And if you look closely, you can see the router bit circle in the bottom of the near end.

[​IMG]

Here's the router bit circle(s) in the bridge pickup rout on the same body.

[​IMG]

3. Chris_R

Chris_R TDPRI Member

May 11, 2015
    Toronto
    Yes, the backward end on mine is definitely not quite as round as the forward end. Fascinating. So can I reasonably say that I have a '68 Fender Telecaster body with a '72 Fender Telecaster neck, modified circa 1974 to accommodate a loaded Fender Telecaster Custom pick guard? Still a Partocaster, but a somewhat more satisfying one than the non-Fender Telecaster-type body version.

4. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Yes, I think so. I believe that Major Gruber was right about the penciled 8, and after seeing the manipulated pic of the neck pocket I think I see a faint, correct paint pattern there, and one that is only correct for 68. The better, close-up pic of the control cavity rout shows that it is correct in appearance. You have router pin hole dowels that are correct in the back, a correct notch, and correct string ferrules.

5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Wow, this thread had a major recovery!

Great news!!

6. Chris_R

Chris_R TDPRI Member

May 11, 2015
    Toronto
    Excellent. Thanks for all your insights. And actually, it's not really a Partocaster. If you break the neck and replace it with a new one, it's still a Telecaster. And if you modify it for a humbucker in the Telecaster Custom style, it's still a Telecaster, just a modded one. Telecaster with a story.

7. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    I think partcaster naming include fender items from different epocs too. But you can purchase a 68 neck and call it a 68 modified ;)

8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    So is the humbucker a Seth Lover pickup? To me, that's what gives the 70's Custom its unique sound.

9. Chris_R

Chris_R TDPRI Member

May 11, 2015
    Toronto
    As far as I can tell. It looks exactly like all the ones I've looked at photos of online, the only difference being that mine has a 5-digit serial number (83874) and most of the others seem to have a 6-digit serial number. I don't know what that means.

10. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2004
    Berlin,Germany
    Bridge Pickup

Hello!
    Don't know about the neck pickup but the bridge is same as mine.
    I bought in 86 for 170 Deutsche Mark the same Duncan STK-T1 noiseless.
    It served me well for over twenty years.
    Sound is rather vintage tele.

velorex

Attached Files:

11. Chris_R

Chris_R TDPRI Member

May 11, 2015
    Toronto
    Thanks Velorex, that's exactly it. I thought it was a Seymour Duncan, but wasn't 100% sure. I joined a band in '86 after not playing for a couple of years, and that's when I had the pickup (and tone/volume controls) replaced. They didn't have any of the proper Fender replacement parts, so I went with what they recommended. Sounded great, but I've always been annoyed by the look and colour of it.

12. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2012
    Vancouver
    When these mods were done guys didn't consider the vintage value. They just wanted a better pickup in the neck.

I had a tele custom that had a Gibson PAF screwed right into the wood in the bridge position. It didn't even have a replacement scratch guard, the Gibby just sat in this big hole where the wide range had been.

I took that PAF out and put a tarback into it. I think I put the PAF into my 125. It had chrome covered DeArmonds, which I threw away.

Things were a little different in those days.

13. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Feb 9, 2009
    London, England
    This is a pencil marking from an old Stringmaster that had had its original paint removed, a think coat of blue and black paint applied which was subsequently removed, revealing the pencil date again.

Attached Files:

14. dan79

dan79 Tele-Holic

Aug 7, 2004
    Cumbria, England
    Chris_R, what a really interesting story and cool tele you have there! Fascinating thread with great info as usual from slack and Major Gruber :cool:

15. zmix

zmix TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2015
    New York, New York
    My (January) 72 Telecaster neck was also made by X. Armenta and it is excellent, a local vintage dealer even remarked that my guitar has "the best neck..Fender didn't make many telecasters with that neck"

16. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    What a great thread. Another reason why this forum is so good with experts debating and sharing knowledge. I could cover these posts with 'likes' but better to say thanks with a quick note. One day I'll subject my 66 Custom to this scrutiny when I've taken enough gut shots!

17. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Funny it comes back again after two years. Thanks for the comment but the real expert is Slack, his knowledge is impressive. I'm just a smart hunter that collected the most information possible to get great vintage wood I couldn't have afforded in collector grade. Part of my own specific training was to become good at recognising shapes and clues through photographs, as this thread shows pretty precisely… After 7 years, I stopped the hunt as I ended up being very happy with the instruments I had collected and restored, and focus now on making them sing. I just go on the forum sometimes for fun now, using my pretty big picture collection to help when I can, and trying to slowly learn more, to keep the advantage I got from the time I invested. ;)

Tootle likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.