Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My 5F6A build in progress

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by geber, Oct 11, 2017.

1. geber

geber TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Arkansas
    DSCN0427.JPG

This started out as a Boothill kit. I had some Atom 20uF/500V caps I needed to use but couldn't get the filter ass'y to fit inside the chassis using the supplied board so, I decided to make my own board so I could use Eminence_620H[1].png caps I had on hand. I also wanted to try the Russian PIO coupling caps just cuz I had them. I am going to employ some of member RobRobs's mods. Most notably the balanced bias mod. I have room on the board for a couple of Bourns 50kl trim pots that are on order. I also want to install the 6' eminence practice speaker that he did on his. Gonna get the head cab from the same guy he got his from with a little bit more height inside. I have a Mullard GZ37 rectifier I would like to try and they are quite tall. Bassman_Adjustable_Balanced_Bias.png

Any critiques are of course welcome

teletimetx likes this.

2. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Your top bias cap. You might be flirting with arcing on your power nodes there. Put a few blobs of hot glue under it, maybe to keep it from getting too close to the eyelets.

I recognize the greenies. Are those silver ones also PIO?

3. geber

geber TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Arkansas
    good point...I will pull it up and away some as well. The silver caps are the Russian K40Y-9's, 0.022's.

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    CURIOSITY QUESTION: I know the theoretical reasons why two bias adjustments COULD be useful, but what are YOUR reasons? Checking for "sonic" differences between "balanced & un-balanced" output tubes?

5. geber

geber TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Arkansas
    The circuit will allow me to run unmatched tube sets as well as different pairs of tubes. For instance, I could run a 6L6 and a 6V6 at the same time the way I understand it. That might sound pretty cool

robrob likes this.

6. geber

geber TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have the ground for the bias caps going to the signal ground bus and was wondering if it would be better to run it to the PT ground w/the filter bank. Any opinions on this?

7. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2016
    Washington
    6’ is a pretty big speaker ;)

8. geber

geber TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Arkansas
    Yes...its a huge cabinet to handle that too

9. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Reinventing
    What's an apostrophe or two amongst friends?

10. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2016
    Washington
    I couldn’t stop thinking of Spinal Tap and the Stonehenge bit.

11. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I've run 6V6 and 6L6 together in a Bivalve. It did not sound cool in that amp.

12. geber

geber TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Arkansas
    Did it have a dual bias like the one member robrob recommended for the 5F6A? I am not familiar w/the Bivalve.

13. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Naw. It's a cat biased "parallel" single end amp. You can shove a plethora of octal tubes in it and they all work. Just not all good. It has hi/lo plate voltage switch, but I never measured it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.