Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My 1965 Tele arrived. I am concerned

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Ooba Tooba, Jul 11, 2017.

1. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

I think that your not being blown away by the guitar was the real deciding factor. I think I played two notes on my shaved neck, amateur routed 68 Tele (newer electronics so only the wood was original) and knew right away that I wanted it.

The 65 neck looked legit (but that decal looked terrible and the tuners were a big minus) and the body, with the remnant of the center channel and the notch might have been the real thing. So it could have been a good deal for a refinished 65 piece of wood but not if it wasn't magical in your hands.

Obviously, GC knows how dodgy it looks and the price they paid was in consequence. So it was a very attractive price for a 65 Tele but only if it was a good one (and for you, it definitely wasn't).

Ooba Tooba likes this.

2. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Youuu! IMG_5209.JPG

horax likes this.

3. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    So Fender probably isn't in the business of swapping bodies out for your choice of color I take it...

4. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And it's become their policy to not offer any options on many of their price levels.

Like, a candy apple red Thinline Deluxe (mine) only comes with a maple neck, and the same guitar in sunburst only comes in rosewood.

Back in the day, you could mix and match any color any neck right off the shelf. But in those days, there was only "Fender," and not the myriad of price/quality levels, plus other hardware configurations, as today.

And of course they can't just swap out a body for you. That involves a lot of work and inventory nightmares for them.

What are they supposed to do with your old body?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Ooba Tooba likes this.

5. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

No No No.:D

That color you got is waaay more better. Surf Green, right?

I have been refinishing a Strat, mixing my own colors, screwing it up, mixing more, etc trying to get that same color. Finally think I got it nailed. Put the last coat on tonight. I'll see how many dead mosquitos are stuck in it in the morning.

That is a gorgeous neck! I love the engraving instead of sticker on the headstock.

rich815 and Ira7 like this.

6. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    IMG_5205.JPG
    I was drawn to that as well. I've never seen an engraved headstock prior to this. The maple board AP Tele I played there was very high gloss. It was exactly like a Rickenbacker bass. Probably desirable to many, but I didn't care much for it. The rosewood is just sanded and oiled. Sliding up and down the neck quickly is effortless. No finish on it and it feels superb. Almost like a well played vintage neck.

7. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    I like it a lot. I have a very similar neck in my Recalimed Easter Pine Telecaster and I love it!

Ooba Tooba likes this.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You have an effin' neck there that many of us just dream about, and maybe only one in a thousand TDPRI members own.

All rosewood? Give me an effin' break:

Simply outstanding.

horax likes this.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If you EVER want to do anything with your color in the future, the ONLY way I would go is full b*lls to the wall and spend some big bucks to have it custom refinished by a top-rated guy. Something totally unique, and exactly what you want.

ONLY if the color doesn't totally grow on you.

There's no reason to touch anything else at all.

horax likes this.

10. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    That is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. Congratulations. Don't change the color!

Yeah, that neck is to die for. Unbelievable!

If I may, @Ooba Tooba : what kind of case is that that came with your new guitar? Looks like it's molded for either teles or strats. I'd like to have one like that...

11. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Wow GC Toledo

Bad, bad form real bad.....

12. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    That is super shady. Reminds me that I had a conversation with someone at a GC on the phone recently about a guitar I had seen online. It was listed as a Mexican Standard Stratocaster. After some prompting on the phone, the guy tells me what's on the headstock. It's a Squier. I tell him that the title online is confusing, because it says Mexican Standard, and that's not the same thing. He simply says, "I didn't do that, man," and acts like he's not even going to tell anyone to fix it.

I've had good luck buying used from GC, and I will regularly plug their used stuff. But this 1965 Tele tale is a really bad case. I suppose the advantage of buying from them is that they still have a very liberal return policy. Their ignorance can also work for you: I got a MIM FSR Butterscotch blonde tele from them, sight-unseen, that had been upgraded with compensated saddles and Seymour Duncan Antiquities. $320, I think. When we un-boxed it at the store, the guy said of the pickups: "Looks like you got lucky." So you could get a much improved guitar or a much devalued guitar from GC for about the same price, it would seem. They're largely oblivious to both.

Perhaps this ignorance contributes to the 1.5 billion dollar debt they're now working to re-structure?

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Exactly what is bad form from GC? I'm not a vintage nut and don't look that closely at details because I'm not paying that for a guitar. So I'm probably just not aware of what folks buying vintage guitars care about. But looks to me like they disclosed the things @Ooba Tooba believed not to be original?

While I'm at it, @Ooba Tooba - why did you buy another guitar you weren't sure about?

Get off my lawn!!!!

14. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    Sweet Home, Alabama

Completely agree! Beautiful color combo with that rosewood neck...wouldn't touch a thing. That is a tele that will likely hold value over time better than most.

15. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    If you pay $3,000 for a vintage guitar and the only thing vintage is the wood, I guess you better be in that crowd that things wood matters to tone. I think wood makes a difference, but not enough to want that guitar.

I have a a homemade Duo-Sonic II copy with a refinished 1957 Fender body, if anybody's offering big bucks for it.

16. horax

horax Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    I've played some plywood guitars that feel and sound amazing. Seriously.

Twisted Kerle and nojazzhere like this.

17. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA

18. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    IMG_5213.JPG IMG_5214.JPG IMG_5215.JPG IMG_5216.JPG IMG_5217.JPG IMG_5218.JPG
    He said it was an Elite case. I don't know what that is, so I will include pics here in a second. It appears the case is interchangeable for both Tele's and Strat's.

SoulstormTX and SweetClyde99 like this.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    @Ooba Tooba - I think you misunderstood. People were labeling the new listing "shady" and I was asking why. It looks like they detailed what was original and what was replaced in the new listing, but maybe I misunderstood.

20. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    It's the case that was introduced for the Elites at the end of 2015, now also included in the Professional package.
    It's a very nice case and I can confirm it takes a Tele or a Strat. My old Squier Strat probably thought it had died and gone to heaven when it got a chance to ride around in that beauty :)!

Ooba Tooba likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.