Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My 1961 Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Leofender55, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Leofender55

Leofender55 TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Northern California
    Thanks for welcoming me. I finally got time to get some more pics posted as requested. You'll notice some weird indents in the back and I asked what they were when I got the Tele. The dealer said that they bought the guitar from the original owner and he put it away years prior to the sale and the old coil cord was underneath the guitar. Over the years it sat in the case the coils on the cord indented the finish. Never seen this before but it makes sense. The strap pictured was original with the guitar.

Attached Files:

2. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of my dream Teles for sure. I had a nylon strap that left an imprint of the weave pattern in the guitars finish. Nothing but leather since.

3. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Wow, great looking guitar. And such a funny coil cable thing. Could it comes from some sort of chemical reaction between plastic of the cord and the finish? Or maybe more likely, the aging plastic might just have become harder than the finish, staying stiff under the case pression. I'm curious about that half raw headstock too. There doesn't seem to be patent numbers under the Telecaster word, but they only come end of 61. I suppose the guitar isn't from the end of the year… just a guessing. Congrats, looks like a really cool guitar!!!

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Congrats, but they had no such strap around in 1961.

telemnemonics likes this.

5. Leofender55

Leofender55 TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Northern California
    I think the indents were chemically induced. I was told a long time ago not to set my lacquer finish guitars on a guitar stand with rubber or neoprene on them without putting a towel between the stand and the guitar neck.

Jimmy Owen likes this.

6. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Awesome guitar!!

Good to know about the nylon and neoprene.

7. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine
    I had a 67 Coronado that had the same blemish - caused by a coil cord.

telemnemonics likes this.

8. Leofender55

Leofender55 TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Northern California
    I know those straps weren't made in '61, I was saying it was in the case when I got it. It's one of the original issues of this style, not the newer ones, and well worn like the guitar. Sorry for the confusion.

jazzmaster90150 likes this.

9. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2012
    Norway

10. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2009
    Barnegat, NJ
    Man I think that coil mark adds character and history to an amazing guitar. Enjoy that beautiful Tele!

11. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    I don't know if the strap is correct for a '61 (sounds like it is not according to telex76) but it is original for a 70's Fender. It can be distinguished from later reissued straps by the Fender logo which is perpendicular to the length of the strap. The reproductions being made today have the logo at an angle. The strap may not be original to your guitar, but it still has value, so don't throw it out. These sell regularly for $50-80.00 online.

12. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Yeah it was THE guitar strap when I grew up :)

pcasarona likes this.

13. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Beautiful guitar. Yep, those coiled chords were finish eaters. Adds character and authenticity.

14. twang junkie

twang junkie Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2013
    london
    Beautiful tele, love the cigarette burn too

15. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    My 59 335 has some coiled cord marks on the back and ive seen it on an old Tele as well. There was a thread on another message board about a year ago with several examples.

16. Smiff

Smiff TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Looks cool.

Does this sort of thing ever happen with non-Nitro paint? I ask because I got some black rattle can car paint a few years ago to respray my Strat. Long after it had cured, I kept in in my gig bag for about 3 months while I moved house and stuff. While taking it out, I could actually feel it was stuck inside in places and then when it was finally out the gig bag lining had left patterns imprinted on the guitar. As far as I know it wasn’t Nitro based paint.

17. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Paint out of a can does not have the same activators and hardeners as those used in original cars and/or guitar factory finishes. It will never be as hard, durable, or resistant to softening at higher temperatures as original factory finishes.

Smiff likes this.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Some old straps (Bobby Lee, Ace, others) will do that as well.

Sweet guitar !

19. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I love what appears to be a cigarette burn on the headstock in one of the photos. THAT would certainly be period correct! :) Congratulations on a great guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.