Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MXR Phase 90 help

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by troy2003, Oct 6, 2017.

1. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I’ll preface this by saying I live in an apartment.
    I recently bought a Phase 90. I love Waylon tones and have always wanted one. It worked great, for about a month. Now I get volume spikes-anywhere from noticeable to holy crap what was that volume spikes. This happened no matter where in the pedal order I put it-first, last, middle, or all by itself. A “R-28” mod was mentioned a few times when I googled this. Unacceptable for a new pedal to me. I called MXR, guy says never heard of it. On the phone he played with theirs and of course, theirs works great. He said nothing to fix. Hmmm. So, I open it up. Seems extremely cheaply made. Are these new pedals just cheap knockoffs of themselves? The pedal is pretty useless to me. Should I look for an older, better made one? Or ???? Anyone else experience this? Thanks!

The Tube Guy likes this.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Have you talked to the dealer you bought it from? They should take it back or exchange it. That's not right. And Dunlop Customer Service isn't helping, which I find strange because they've always gone beyond and above the call of duty to help me. That's not right either.

If you can't replace it or have it fixed, I'd go with a Whirlwind Rochester Orange Box Phaser. It's a clone of the original MXR script Phaser only with a power jack, LED and true bypass. That's what I ended up getting and I'm very happy with it.

3. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Thanks for the reply. I thought it strange too because I’ve heard all good things on Dunlop. The tech was friendly enough, and attempted to duplicate problem on his. But when his didn’t act up, I was left hanging. I’ll contact ZZounds on it

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah just return it if it's in warranty.
    The tech was being a dope to try to duplicate your broken pedal with his good one IMO.
    I have easily half a dozen mostly vintage phase 90s and a Whirlwind Paul mentioned.
    Also have a current production Dunlop built "MXR" micro flanger and two originals.
    The current custom shop hand made expensive Dunlop MXR phase 90 is a great pedal, but the other standard ones are pretty bad IMO.
    I don't actually have a standard new phase 90, but the new micro flanger sounds nothing like the original and is poorly built.
    The custom shop P90 sounds like my old ones (though they all sound different and I no longer have a script 90, just a script 45), and also the CS P90 sounds exactly the same as my Whirlwind orange box.
    Or I couldn't identify a difference when looping between the two.

I guess the cheaper P90 sounds OK, but the better one sounds better and is well made. The Whirlwind TBP and power jack bump it up into "best" for me.
    Edit: and LED!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    troy2003 likes this.

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Get a Whirlwind Rochester Series Orange box. True original Script circuit with added LED and True Bypass. That makes it a little better than the CS MXR '74 RI, which like the originals has the funky bypass and no LED. I love all my Whirlwind Rochester MXR clones, they do it right with modern features.
    Al

6. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Well, I emailed ZZounds, they were great, as usual. I’ve had it since March so I really don’t expect a refund, just a little guidance. They said call Dunlop, give them another chance to make it right. If no luck, they will contact them. If I am not satisfied still they will give me a hefty discount on the Whirlwind I mentioned. I thought that was pretty fair on their part. Thanks all for the responses

7. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Update:
    Dunlop did Email me back and said if I provide a copy of the receipt they will send a box UPS to pick it up, repair it, and return it. If it was out of the one year mark, a flat rate of $50 to cover parts, labor, and return shipping. Glad to see Dunlop stands behind their products

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    A question I asked myself just this week.

I have a Phase 90 built in '97 (per "inspected on" date under the cover). It's built solidly and sounds like I expect.

On the other hand, I just bought a brand new Micro Chorus. Now, it does sound great (which is the most important factor, obviously). No complaints there. But, the knob pot spins way too freely, in my opinion. Maybe it's arbitrary and I'm just used to my 20-year-old Phase 90, but the older unit's knob provides a good bit of resistance to being turned, which helps with accidental toe bumps. Also, the PCB on the new pedal seems to be some light-gauge red affair while the old pedal's board is a nice thick green one.

I think JD/MXR still makes a good product. But, like anything else, stuff gets more cheaply made over time.

My 2¢, FWIW.

troy2003 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.