Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MXR Dyna Comp is it worth buying

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by texmck54, Sep 18, 2017.

1. texmck54

texmck54 Tele-Meister

One of the newer ones available used locally for a decent price. I've never used a comp. pedal so is this one decent enough to really let me know if I like comp. on my board or not.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Maybe. I find the Dyna-Comp has a certain sonic soundprint that I like for some things but not for others. I have a very old one that I still use sometimes, but I have another compressor that I use most of the time. If you can get it cheap, do so and see if it's worth it to you. You're the only one who can really decide.

fordguy_85 likes this.

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I have the super comp on my board and I haven't yet dialed it in yet. They tend to be darker comps that match well with a bright tele. I almost miss my BBE Orange Squeeze, but it was just so big. If I had it to do over, I'd probably buy an SP compressor or a Keeley 4 knob.

6. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    Yes! I picked up a broken one from Reverb.com and fixed it (had to replace the two pots). Sounds great and it's easy to dial in with just two knobs. I had a Boss CS-3 and didn't like it - too fussy and it sounded a bit harsh to my ears.

7. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Long, long, long, long time ago, Guitar Player magazine had an article on the pedal boards of session players. They had guys from NYC, LA, Nashville, etc...EVERYONE of them had the MXR compressor.

Okay, so things have changed in 40 years, but I have one and love it. It's simple and clean.

Dr Improbable likes this.

8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine

9. nontiveros86

nontiveros86 Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2015
    Riverside, CA
    I was in a similar situation, I had never used a compressor and gave the MXR Dynacomp a shot. I still don't use compressors. I tried it again several years later, to see if my tastes had changed. I still don't use a compressor. Maybe it's just a matter of style.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I have two vintage Dyna Comps and recently picked up a used Pigtronix bass comp for $49 at GC.
    The DC has a signature niche sound, where many more modern comps are more versatile.
    Seems like 21st C comps have actually improved, where most other FX are closer to the the same as '70s- '90s tech.
    I actually leave the Pigtronix on for periods of time and find it useful, partly because modern comps often have a blend knob to mix some attack back in.

11. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Dyna Comp is a classic sound--Tele into Dyna Comp into Fender Twin Reverb with SROs is the classic Jim Messina sound. Dyna Comp is the guitar sound on so many recordings, from the 70s right up to the present, it is unmistakable.
    Which is the good thing and the bad thing about a Dyna Comp--it's pretty much a one-trick pony, but it's a great trick.
    More modern comps tend to be more flexible, and can be set to be less extreme than a Dyna Comp.
    Still--Dyna Comp with a volume pedal is the standard by which all others are judged.

12. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    If you feel like traditionalist playing blues licks and or jamming with motorhead reviival band you dont need dynacomp at all. But if you are experimantator, pop player, or likesongs like Under the bridge RHCP or bands like Depeche Mode or modern urban music you will find it as neccesity

13. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    Dynacomp is a great classic. It has a tone of it's own and can be sorta subtle or extremely squashed. With the Sensitivity control very low and the Level turned up you have a nice even jangle for clean rhythm sounds. At this setting it plays well with drive pedals following it. There are more modern comp pedals out there, but a used Dynacomp is great for exploring compression. I keep one in my gig case as a reliable backup for the comps I use now.

fordguy_85 and SheldonP like this.

14. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Holic

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Most modern comps have no signature sound or personality!
    With that old MXR style comp you know that you are using it when it is engaged.
    I used to have one, and me being me I had a toggle switch for two modes, one normal, and the other more subtle.

After some time I just left it on normal...haha.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I still have the same Mxr dynacomp I bought around the mid 70's and love the sonic texture it adds. But I haven't used it in quite a while, it's a bit of a special case effect for me. The only way to tell really if it's something you'll like is to spend some time with it, experimenting with the settings. I like what it does for recordings.

16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I've owned a Dynacomp a couple different times over many years a and I've always found it frustrating because it seems to give you something and take something away at the same time.

I felt the same way about a Boss compressor I used to own-I think its more that the simple Rock and blues i play just don't need a compressor..

But if I wanted a compressor, it would probably be a Dynacomp!

17. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    If the price is right I vote yes! At the very least you will learn if compression is something you like.

blackguts likes this.

18. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

There you have it folks! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.