Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MXR Classic Overdrive M-66

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by honeycreek, May 23, 2010.

1. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    Hey, Chiogtr4x, I decided to use the switch finally last night. I can tell now that the stock position is definitely a bass boost (like the Route 808 has on the top) for single coil pickups (which is about all I play). BUT that said, I really like the smoother gain sound from the non-stock position. I'm curious to find out what it sounds like louder with others tho. I think i'm doing a jam this sunday. we'll see.

The switch will be easy to replace. I'm going by the Shack today to pick up a mini toggle and some more solder to mod it.

I'll post pics when I do!

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Hey Pontmercy, Fun pedal exploration going on!

I left my Classic OD in its stock position as I did not have any TS type overdrives and I like the way this sounds.

I felt like when I flipped the switch to the non-stock setting that the OD sounded alot like my particular GC/MXR Classic Distortion (I did a little "mod" that I read about, to mine which involved removing one resistor to brighten the pedal up a bit) so my Classic D is a little brighter than stock but still that same smooth distortion...

I did two gigs over the weekend, one with each pedal- and I think I am just gonna pair these 2 up and then toggle between them (not much of a stacker, I don't need that much gain) as they are both dynamic enough to just leave ON for a whole song, and just turn up. Use the Classic D (despite its name) for the bulk of the stuff I play- swing blues, rockabilly or even R&B jazzier stuff and use the Classic OD with its grind and mids for harder blues and rock stuff....just thinking here ;)

3. RMosack

RMosack TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Is that when looking from above (i.e. normal playing position) or when looking at the pedal from the back with the cover off?

4. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    Personally I think the switch is more of a Bass Boost for Single Coil guitars.

Looking down at the unit (or PCB if you have it out and right side up)

Switch to right: for single coils (thicker sound)
    Switch to Left: for Humbuckers (thinner sound)

This is why I'm going to install a single pole on/on switch there so I can switch between depending on guitars I'm playing.

5. clapointe

clapointe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Somebody wanna trade for a MXR Classic Distortion ? :)

6. Jayson

Jayson Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I got one yesterday and put it on my board. Just incredible for the price.

7. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    But is it incredible at any price?

8. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    My answer is of course, subjective as all of us are probably very individual about what we think good tone is:

my old TS-9 that was serviceable but not great( but I did use it for years befor going to a Blues Driver) was $99

I put another $50 or so into it with a Keeley mod, which IMO was not noticeably different, and contrary to the Keeley spec sheet, NOISIER. So now I have a $150 pedal I don't like; sold it at a loss...

MXR Classic Overdrive $30: no issues, improved tone and Gain over a stock/Keeley modded TS-9

again this is just me, and the cheap pedal could die tomorrow...

9. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    Alrighty! I did it! I got a mini switch (SPDT) from radio shack for $3.69 and installed my "bass boost" switch on my Classic Overdrive. Works great! Easy to do if you're decent with a soldering iron. There's plenty of room once you remove the old switch! I recommend using a desolder vacuum when taking out the old one tho, those solder posts are really close and if you get messy with it, you'll short it out.

I put it at an angle, it seems to give it the best room to move and to finger it. Right now in this pic it's in the "bass boost" mode (which I think is for single coils) The other way is thinner sounding which works great with my humbucker guitars.

So here is it!
    [​IMG]

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Pontmercy,

That's great.

Nice job.

11. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Way Cool! See what this good sounding pedal made you do?
    Still wonder if the placement of this switch by MXR, and not advertising it was specifically created for folks like us that just have to open stuff up...finding buried treasure

I think I already mentioned that my "modded" MXR Classic Distortion sounds similar to the "non stock" (less TS sounding) switch position of the MXR OD and since I have no other TS sounding OD, I'm using both together (right now together, but individually, not stacked)

Don't know if its just a honeymoon thing, but both of these MXR pedals have leapfrogged (for gigs) over some OD's I have used happily for years, specifically my Blues Driver( which has been my right arm for 10 years), and Barber Direct Drive (sorry!)- What can I say, I like what I'm hearing!

12. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    Yeah, I'm loving the pedal more and more.

The Classic OD with the switch in "Fat" position (non-stock) is a great blues driver sound for me thru my super-sonic. Then I will add my amps burn channel set to a low gain loud volume. What a combo!!

I also find I'm using the Classic Distortion a lot too. It's great for that Dave Gilmour solo with harmonics sound or more hard rock just shy of metal.

13. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA

I'm getting an almost Johnny Winter like tone (that kind of hollow bite, but with nice sustain, not very distorted) out of my Classic Distortion (at higher Gain settings) say with the neck pickup on my Tele (play a lot of swing blues shuffles or rockabilly stuff with this pickup and this pedal gives it a nice edge) Also with the middle p/u setting on the Tele this gives me a great "lift" for Steve Cropper style stuff. (using a clean Blues Jr.)

With the Classic OD, I am just digging the stock "TS toned" switch position; it has good mid-grind with sustain that I just don't have with any other of my OD's. The Danelectro Drive (not TOD) V.1 came close, but seemed to lack the warmth (in terms of the actual tone of the distortion), that I seem to have found in the MXR

So for me the two are just a great fit for a blues/roots guy that wants a few OD flavors w/o getting complicated!

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I went back to the stock position and used it at a gig last night (Marshall Class5 and SCXD through a 2x12) and it flat rocked the house!! I find I'm liking the stock position better.

15. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    I too clicked it to stock last night and really enjoyed it! Nice to have both options for sure. Nice little hidden secret MXR threw in there, They should have sprung for the switch! It cost me all of $3.69 and a few minutes of time!

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    pontmercy,

You should go into the swicthy installation business.

How much to install a switch??

Priority Mail from your hose to mine is 10 bucks.

How much to install a switch??

10 bucks for return shipping plus what????

You might get 25 little green pedals in the mail with cash for swicthy installation!

17. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    Hrm.... nice idea John!

I guess If someone wants it done, if you ship it to me,
    Price would include parts cost (3.99 switch with tax, .50 for wires/solder, time for disassembly, soldering and drilling, reassembly)
    EDIT PRICE: $20 mod cost, plus shipping back to you

??

I didn't take pics or document the process, I wish I had, then I'd just post the how to for free.

18. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I just did a little personal inventory of the OD pedals I have owned (some which I still have, and others which I sold/traded/gave away) that have taken a back seat to the MXR Classic OD, any I think I came up with 7 or 8 similar medium-Gain, "kind of TS" sounding pedals (Note:these are all relatively cheap, pretty good sounding popular pedals that are fine, but each one just seemed to fall short in some aspect to me, either in tone, control range, ease of use...). And yes I am splitting hairs here, but that's what happens when all these pedals come out, you buy 'em and try 'em! Also a huge factor (maybe the biggest) has to do with the type of music you play, and the guitar(s)>amp you use

Your OD tone (s) is really personal I suppose, and within minutes of getting the MXR it was like "Yeah, this is the one!" Of course that could change tomorrow....

19. Burnt Gerbil

Burnt Gerbil Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    So I'm a little late to the game on this one and I'm sure that somewhere within these 5 pages of responses this has all been said, but I'm gonna go ahead and throw my 2 cents in.

Someone posted a link to this thread in a topic that I had made and I decided I couldn't pass it up for the price. They were out in the Nashville GC but when I went to Chattanooga that weekend to see some family, I stopped in that GC and picked up the last one they had in stock. I love the natural distortion on my AC30, but I have to crank the top boost channel to get any distortion with my single coils. Then it's impossible to get any clean sounds with my Les Pauls. So I wanted something pretty transparent that could still beef up the single coils.

I tried it out on my dad's Fender Super Reverb with a Strat and wasn't too impressed. But, I didn't lose hope because it a much cleaner amp than my AC30. As such, it just kinda turned into a clean boost, even with the gain knob cranked.

However, I absolutely love it on the Vox. It's done exactly what I wanted so far as giving me a way to drop the gain on the amp and still be able to get a natural overdriven tone from my Strats.

Anyway, long story short: good find!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.