Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MXR Classic Overdrive M-66

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by honeycreek, May 23, 2010.

1. bmnatoli

bmnatoli NEW MEMBER!

Jan 22, 2011
    lehigh acres fl
    I dont know if this will help.... but i use the Classic overdrive before the TS7 tube screamer and gives me nice overdrive tone for a classic sound. for a heavier sound i use the Classic in front of a MT2 Metal Zone for a more distorted sound. I like the sounds so much i use them for direct recording, band practice and live performance.... i bought my Classic for $10 and my TS7 for $30 and the MT2 for $40(used). I even gave up using my Digitech RP500(which is a fantastic piece of equipment!!!). ALL pedals were bought through GC or their online store.

2. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2009
    Middlebury,Indiana
    Its been my main box for dirt since starting up with a band. We've been practicing as of late, and the Classic is my main with the Option 5 Destination Overdrive II as my slightly less gain/level boosted for solos' setup after the Classic. My other dirt box is a TS-9 Tube Screamer,that is never on. After I get a Delay and a modulation pedal I'll pull the Screamer out.

3. inkwell101

inkwell101 TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Farmington Hills
    heres my Classic OD story.

I saw it in the store and I figured since I liked the classic distortion so much, I would check this one out. I brought it home and it sounded very close to my favorite setting on my fulltone full-drive 2. A $150 pedal. I was like "wah wah wee wah". So I tweaked the knobs on the classic OD to the point that when I A/B'ed the two pedals, I couldn't tell the difference. honest. but that's when compared to the setting of the fulltone that I always used. the classic od doesn't do everything the fulltone does BUT it does what I liked about the fulltone. I sold the fulltone. 8 months later I now have two classic od's and two classic distortions. and I could buy one more and be at the same price as the fulltone for 5 great MXR pedals!!

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I think these two pedals are a great pair to cover any OD/distortion I may need (classic rock/country/ blues- nothing requiring too much distortion for me...)

MXR Just got the names backwards!;)
    I use the Classic Distortion (with the "resistor yank, bright mod" as I call it) as my all purpose OD (into either a Fender DR or Blues JR.- it's ON most of the time, and I tweak as needed throughout my gigs), and I use the Classic Overdrive when I want a more powerful "power chord" crunch with distortion. I don't stack the two as I just seem to control better if used separately.

Honestly, I can cover most everything with the Classic D by itself (keep things simple), so the the C OD really only gets used for larger/harder rocking gigs.

5. Burnt Gerbil

Burnt Gerbil Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Hey! What the--

I thought I killed this thread fair-and-square back in August! You're taking away from my impressive record of trying to add something 2 minutes too late and having the topic disappear into oblivion.

Anyway, I'm actually thinking of replacing this pedal now. It has started to sound too mid-rangy for me here as of late. I will probably keep it for future use, however.

6. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    ^^ It is "mid-rangy" but for lack of a better way to describe, seems to have more life to its actual distortion sound (more gain/harmonics??) ,and more range in its Tone control IMO, than the stock TS-9 or SD-1 I used to own. Keep it for certain sounds...

7. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    I was just messing with mine on my board last night. Somedays it seems to sound fabulous, others, like last night, it sounds like a lifeless mid rangy POS! ugh. I'm thinking of replacing with a green rhino!

But I'll keep my modded MXR COD. The switch is a nice option.

BTW, I noticed at GC they have the Classic D back in stock. It was $29 during presidents day sale but is back up to $39 now. I sold mine a while back and was thinking of getting another but the ProCo RAT2 just does everything I ask it to so very well!

8. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    ^^ I know I sound like a broken record, but I don't think I could live w/o my "modded" MXR Classic Distortion-something about the mix of clean and the particular distortion tone that comes out of this thing is just a great fit with my old Deluxe Reverb- Depending on how I adjust the controls I can get a big and clean "boosted Blackface" (duh!) sound , or pretty close to a very distorted tweed tone, which was a pleasant surprise.

9. ccspir2

ccspir2 TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Picked one up at GC in Tampa this week. Just the right amount of dirt for my old Twin Reverb. Found it while looking for a low cost replacement for my trashed, 82 SD-1.

10. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Which one did you get, the Classic OD or the Distortion?- assuming it was the OD (as it's based on SD-1, but I think it sounds better ;))

11. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    I'm wondering if I need to go grab another Classic Distortion while they have them. Maybe this time I'll do the mods you talked about Chiogtr4x!

12. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    ^^ It's just pulling one component(C4 resistor, which I think I literally wiggled back and forth with needle-nose pliers 'till it just broke off!- either did that or clipped it- I know NOTHING about electronics- but it worked!)

Heads up NOTE!!:

I happen to think that the MXR Classic Distortion "Mod" is VERY similar ( but maybe not identical) to the sound of the MXR Classic Overdrive in the "non-stock" more open sounding switch position- and I think you modded your Classic OD so you could toggle between the two right? I just kind of discovered this as I bought the Classic Distortion first, did the mod right away (almost 2 years ago now) and then got the Classic OD last June (opened it up flicked the switch etc., and compared, I kept my OD in the stock TS setting)

just letting you know, you may already have that tonality, but they probably are not identical- but I LOVE my modded Classic D, so what the heck take the plunge!

** I think you and I are responsible for about 175 of the posts in this silly thread!:lol:;)

13. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    ** I think you and I are responsible for about 175 of the posts in this silly thread!**

Ha Ha funny!!

Thanks for the info on the mod again!

14. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Yup! I have a classic rock/blues/country gig tonight (mostly '60's stuff, but some '50's and early '70's too; our band just throws all this music together) and will use the Classic Distortion as my go to OD, and then also run a Dano Drive (CO-1) for a stronger distortion if needed...

15. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    You won't regret it!
    I thought I loved my MXR-CD before doing the "Freedom" mod.
    I couldn't part with it if I had to now after doing the mod.
    It just sounds too amazingly good and does everything I need it to, including a "Tool" type tone if I put my DIY-SHO pedal in front of it with the gain at 3:00 on the MXR-CD. *drool*

16. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2009
    Middlebury,Indiana
    Update. I did the toggle switch mod to the Classic OD this evening. I dig it even more. One way works good with the Strat and its bridge bucker,the other tames the Tele highs on its bridge pickup. The Ibanez Tube Screamer is now on the shelf. The Option 5 Destination overdrive II is taking up a little too much space on the pedal board so I might be going for one of the MI Audio boxes.

17. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    I just listed one of these for sale under the classifieds. If you want one, lets make a deal

18. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    Amen to that!
    I use my modded MXR C-D for bright overdrive sounds to High Gain distortion sounds now that the tone knob works so well with the mod.

I use my MHP BD-2 for warmer OD sounds when the music calls for it.

19. Sun Of Ra

Sun Of Ra TDPRI Member

Found the mxr OD still available at GC, thanks for the recommendation.
    Cream version (older version?)

20. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    The green pedal w/cream graphics is the older pedal (switch inside is in "GT-OD" position, if purchased 'new')

The cream pedal (with green graphics) is the newer pedal and the switch is in "Zak Wylde OD" if purchased new.

But they are still the same pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.