Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MXR Classic Overdrive M-66

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by honeycreek, May 23, 2010.

1. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2009
    OH
    I was in Guitar Center and was looking at used pedals. The sales person was helping someone look for Tubescreamers and was showing him an Ibanez TS-7(?) that I had regreted not buying when I saw it a few weeks ago ($9.99). After showing him that one, he starting showing him a MXR Classic Overdrive which he said was a Tubescreamer clone. The price was $29.99. I thought it was used (and was hoping he wouldn't buy it).

After he left, I looked a little closer and it was a NEW pedal for that price. I had thought about buying Ibanez pedal and putting it into a metal case with a new switch. I probably wouldn't be able to buy the parts to rehouse the Ibanez pedal for the price of the MXR.

Anyone seen these or know anything about them? I can't find anything about them on the web. Sounds good to me...but then I don't have another Tubescreamer to compare it to. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2009
    Bethesda, MD.
    Can't help you with a review, but I know it's about $100 new. So at $30 you should buy it and if you don't like it sell it. MXR makes good pedals.

M

3. honeycreek

Jun 16, 2009
    OH
    Oh, I bought it...and like it. The $30 price tag was for a NEW pedal. He reached under the counter and grabbed a box.

4. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Classic O/D is a GC "special run" (you can only get them at GC). Electronically, it the same as the Distortion III. The older runs were black, not green. It's a great pedal.

I have a black one from a year or so ago, and it's my favorite O/D.

5. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Actually the black GC run was called the Classic Distortion M-86. This may be different.

6. honeycreek

Jun 16, 2009
    OH
    It sounds different (to me) than my "Blood Drive" which is supposed to be a Distortion III. It may just be me hoping it sounds different though. :)

7. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    The Distrotion III has only be around for about 2 years and it is not reallt a Tubescreamer clone. However, it is not an agressive distortion either. It is more like a an agressive overdrive with no fizz on the top end.

8. dido__15

dido__15 TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Frome, UK
    Is this an in-store only deal? Can't find any reference to this pedal on the web other than this thread.

9. honeycreek

Jun 16, 2009
    OH
    That is why I started the thread. I couldn't find anything about it anywhere. I bought mine in-store.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I wonder if that MXR Classic Overdrive might be a "for GC only" model of the MXR GT-Overdrive, the way the Classic Distortion(which I own) is the GC model of the Distortion III- Think I'll check out my GC to see if they have this pedal; I could use a cheap Tube Screamer type...

11. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

The Classic Distortion was the Distortion III in new housing, priced at $30 and limited to GC.

This looks like the same type deal with the GT-OD this time.

Edited to add: Usually, it's an in-store only deal and they go fast.

12. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

May 9, 2010
    Spokane Washington
    Demo?? I have the classic distortion & actually LOVE it for my tele. I'm personally very interested in this too

13. emanym

emanym TDPRI Member

May 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Well,it's definitely not the same as the classic distortion.I have both,can't comment on the sound because I need to return mine (nothing but hiss-no signal),but it's a completely different PCB board.

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA

My MXR Classic Distortion just did the same thing(thankfully at home , not at a gig)- I plugged it in, the pedal actually got warm, then an electrical smell-now it only works in bypass mode. Never used a power supply with it, just battery... I bought it January so I have to call GC Customer Service as I have had the pedal too long to just return it to GC, but I will get a refund....starting to wonder if you get what you pay for; glad I have other very good OD pedals!

15. honeycreek

Jun 16, 2009
    OH
    Demo

Ok, so I made every video mistake possible including the camera distorting and a huge noise floor (thanks to the computer sitting right beside the guitar). I also made plenty of other mistakes but you'll get the idea of the sound. Rest assured...it sounds way better in person.

I don't have a white coily cable but did use 2 clearance Walmart cables for good measure and in case there was any "tone" left I also had tons of other pedals in line including buffered pedals and a volume pedal at the end of the chain. :rolleyes:

Any distortion you hear before the pedal is on is definitely not the amp. My ears distort before that amp on the clean channel (Peavey Classic 50). I'm using my Squier Black and Chrome tele with Keystones. I use mostly the neck pickup but do switch to the bridge a few times. Towards the end I also use the parallel and series...hmm...I forgot to do the out of phase. I also mess with the volume and tone a few times.

16. honeycreek

Jun 16, 2009
    OH
    Attempt #2

Here is it with same amp but mic'ed and recorded through a POD straight to the computer. No video with this one. I used a Fender MIM tele with Keystones on this one. It is shielded so a little less noise.

Only two different settings this time:

My playing didn't get better but the sound quality did. :oops:

17. honeycreek

Jun 16, 2009
    OH
    Oh...and it is just guitar-pedal-amp then mic'ed through the POD X3L instead of the long chain of pedals. :lol:

18. emanym

emanym TDPRI Member

May 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanx for posting that.I still haven't returned mine yet,I'm waiting till payday.I got an amp on layaway & figured may as well pick both up the same time.Anyway the PC board is labeled PCB CL100 so I'm not so sure it's a rehoused GT-OD because from what I understand those use the Zakk Wylde ZW-44 board.I read somewhere the GT-OD & ZW-44 are actually the same pedal with an internal switch that changes between the two.So of course out of curiosity I checked & this does indeed have an internal switch as well.You have to lift the board out to see it because it's on the top side (where the switch on the EVH Phase 90 is).Again I have no way of telling what the switch does yet.Also if it's of any help to anyone,I also read that the phase 90 block,script & EVH are the same pedal as well but the switch is only exposed on the EVH.

19. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I got one today. Not bad at all. Nice tone (pretty big mid hump), and loud as hell. TP switch. Meatier than the II or (GC "Classic Dist). Trial by gig tomorrow. Def. worth the $30. Sounds as good or better that my TS-9. Will keep around for awhile.

emanym, let us know about the switch. Can we swap chips like a TS-9?

20. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

May 9, 2010
    Spokane Washington
    Thanks for the second video! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.