Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - WOW!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Johnny Isaacs, Mar 10, 2008.

1. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    thanks electricbody, I was starting to feel like I was talking to myself. I don't need the internet to do that!

I know that this has not been THE cool pedal for about two years now but come on people.

I am loving this pedal more and more each minute I play with it. I am having a real hard time getting the modulation dialed in though. It kind of just sounds like a cheesy chorus effect to me. I tried both pots all the way down and that is the best setting that I have found so far, kind of subtle enough to sound like a tape warble.

Anybody know where they are set out of the box? Because if I remember right it sounded pretty good before I went and screwed it up.

This is a great pedal even without the modulation, it is a nice bonus though, if I could just get it set right.

2. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2009
    Russia, St.-Petersburg
    I had both, and do not notice volume boost on CC maybe just feel, that buffer is on, when pedal turn on. And notice volume boost on MT. When you turn your mix down, you can use it as lead boost. :)
    And anyway, I think, that CC is really better, then MT in all aspects.

3. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    I haven't touched the trim pots on mine so when I get a chance I'll take a look and let you know.

4. mkg

mkg Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Kentucky
    You can hear it on this amp/pedal demo I did recently, although I don't know if it's all that cool :lol:

5. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2009
    London, England
    For me I found slightly lowering the speed and slightly increasing the sweep made it very sweet sounding.

Of course, this is from stock and you're not likely to find the stock settings again on those trim pots. :(

6. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Superhand, as promised but a bit delayed, I took a look at the stock settings in my CC last night.

The WIDTH trim pot was set like this: imagine a line running from 7o'clock to 1 o'clock, ie just off vertical. The SPEED pot was set like a line from 9 to 3 o'clock, ie horizontal.

I don't know if it's possible to have the lines looking like that but in effect with a 180 degree difference, but I guess you can set them and see how they sound and move through 180 degrees if something sounds off. The factory setting is very subtle of course, so any major differences will be easy to hear.

7. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    Well, I turned them both down all the way and then up just a bit and that sounds OK to me. Its subtle, but I did not buy this for a chorus effect so it works for me. It really does add something to the sound, the modulation that is.

I just wish it was easier to get them dialed in. I would pay a few more bucks for this pedal if it had external knobs for the modulation control.

It is a great pedal though!! I am still loving it.

8. laketahoe96

laketahoe96 TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Sandy OR
    Heard that there are some issues with the footswitch and/or chip with this MXR CC (Harmony Central reviews) I have an old Boss DM2 that I bought too many years ago. The Boss pedals are known for being bullet proof. Will my Boss Tuner pedal power this? I think this has more delay time than the DM2 anyone know? Was and still am a big Echoplex fan but they were always crashing. When the capstan bushing wore out you got the modulation sound and a whole lot more. Anyone used this pedal for any period of time? Is it reliable?? Thanks!

9. J o h n n y

J o h n n y TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2013
    QC
    i have a mxr cc and is very good.

10. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, but I was really dissapointed with the CC. Took it back the next day because every time I tried to adjust it it caused an awful feedback loop. I am much happier with my Wampler Faux Tape Echo.

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    That seems to be a singular experience... no one else has ever reported a feedback loop. I'm guessing yours was broke.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

12. Wow, didn't expect to see this old thread resurrected. Anyway, the CC is a great little analogue delay pedal. I use it for warm subtle repeats with the Mix knob never set past 12 o'clock. If you're used to the pristine repeats of a digital delay you may not like the Carbon Copy and therein lies the issue. The CC is not intended to be used like a digital delay for long clear repeats and those who try to use it as such are often disappointed.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

13. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2009
    Nabootique
    sounds like it was powered with too many volts. you weren't running it at 12v or 18v by any chance?

14. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I honestly think it was a defective pedal. It was the only one they had & they never tested it in front of me. They gave me my refund , no questions. That was 2 years ago & I didn't try another delay until I bought my Faux Tape Echo in Feb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.