Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - WOW!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Johnny Isaacs, Mar 10, 2008.

1. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2007
    Abington
    I read one post about someone mistaking it for reverb, this is what I need, a pedal that will do great reverb, plate, spring etc. I miss amps having the spring reverb as part of the package, the amp i have now has some type of effect is all it says, actually not bad, sounds like digital delay. Do any pedals give you great reverb, i would be happy to add that to my compression.
    Jim

2. fancychords

fancychords Tele-Holic

Oct 25, 2004
    staten island ny
    I'm sending back the second MXR carbon copy to Musician's friend..Both of them worked for about an hour then died...I'm going to try the Tech21 Boost delay now..

3. I recently bought three mxr pedals.
    Dyna comp
    Carbon Copy
    GT-OD

ALL the knobs Glow!!!

These are my only pedals I run into a PRRI-for me everything I need.

I love the small footprint, they are all the same size and the sound *****in!!!

4. Slidewinder

Slidewinder TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    Since last Oct. I've been using my carbon copy now an average of 3 nights per week for 3-4 hours per night with no problems.
    I actually did use it to supply some reverb for awhile until I picked up a Dr. Scientist Reverbertor. Now that's a pedal and a half, in a league of it's own when it comes to reverb and the rotary effect is great.

5. dorse72

dorse72 TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2009
    dallas, tx
    issues w/MXR Carbon Copy

Hi all, love the help on this forum, so thanks to all who help out.

My CC is awesome, love the warmth it has when I'm practicing at 'bedroom' level at night at home. When I get to the practice place, it seems to get overloaded w/the signal or something. the delay is a huge punch in the face, even w/the mix turned down low to like 7 ??? seems its barely on-down just a little further and the mix knob is off. I'm stumped. I am running it through my effects loop right now as I didn't want to hit it w/a distorted signal through my chain. am I correct on this?? might be a headroom thing ya'll were talking about.

I'm not a country player, nor do I rarely need a huge Floydish delay. Our cover band does mainly rock from classic to a couple of metal tunes. My sweet spot is a big Van Halen echo like I can get w/my p.o.s Line 6 'tape echo' setting. I want a few subtle repeats w/some a nice echo. do I have the wrong pedal?? my Rivera Knucklehead doesn't have reverb.

my live gear is a Kramer w/JB humbucker through a Rivera Knucklehead (high gain, but very clear sounding). effects chain is: megah-wah - Boss tuner - Boss DS2-MXR OD - MXR EVH Phase 90 - MXR EVH Flanger - Digitech Chorus (dont like btw) - to amp. effects loop is: Boss RV5 reverb - MXR CC

any help would be huge, thanks alot!

6. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2007
    Camas, WA
    Dorse 72;
    I'm no expert on effects pedals, but here's my experience.
    I bought a CC to play with my pedal steel guitar ( very high gain output)
    I go straight into the amp, and not the effects loop.
    I like the way my pedal steel sounds.
    I haven't experienced any change in tone.
    YMMV

7. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

I'm bringing this thread back to life. Just got a Carbon Copy. Sounds very murky to me. Not as clear as my Boss DD3. Am I missing something? Did I get a bad pedal?

8. Tonealicious

Tonealicious Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2009
    Way Down There
    It's meant to sound darker and les hifi. Thats analog vs digital. Mess round with the settings, and you may have to adjust your expectations! I find this "murkiness" mixes better with the original tone.

9. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Yes, but there's something about a nice crisp digital delay with a soaring solo.

10. ekimp

ekimp TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Just bought one of these, HIGHLY impressed. Replaced my DD-6, I'll never go back again......haha

11. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

I just need to mess around with it I guess. I'm old school and love analog/tube warmth. Need to give it some time...

12. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    I just got one today after shopping around for a reverb pedal and eventually deciding that I would get more use out of a delay.

I have not spent enough time with it, but so far it seems great. Was wondering what kind of settings you guys like on it.

Anybody have sound clips of cool stuff you have recorded with it?

13. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    I generally have Mix at 12 o'clock and Regen and Delay at 8 or 9 o'clock for a lovely mild slapback. I used it at a gig for the first time a week ago and started out with the Regen and Delay at 9 o'clock and it seemed too much so dialled down slightly and it was much nicer.

I do find that mine boosts the overall signal/volume when switched on, but that's fine as if it's on all the way through a song no-one notices, and if I use it for solos I want a little boost anyway.

I have a second delay (Marshall Echohead) that I use if I want more of an effect for the odd song or two. However the lower slapback settings on that are excellent too - most people wouldn't notice the difference between that and the CC.

14. electricbody

electricbody Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Does the CC boost the signal at all? I have a EH Memory Toy and it boosts the signal, which I'm starting to find annoying. So does the CC do this as well?

15. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    electricbody, like l said in my post just before yours, to my ears there is a slight boost.

16. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    Been fiddlin around a bit more with it and I don't know what you guys mean about the trim pots being subtle, I dimed both of them and it made it sound like a freakin vibrato pedal! Kind of cool, but not what I was looking for. I wish I would have left them alone because out of the box it sounded like a real nice old school tape warble effect.

Now I gotta try to tweak them a little more...

17. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    look at all those components

mind boggling:

DSC02476.jpg

18. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    Regarding the boost thing, to my ears it just an illusion of more volume because its sounds louder because its doubled.

I would be curious about the actual difference in SPL but I don't have the proper tools to measure that.

19. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    I was able to dial in a GREAT slapback sound. I felt like I was sitting in the Sun Records Studio or something! Sounds amazing.

I'm not sure about the modulation yet though, it sounds good with short delay time, but with longer delay time sounds kind of funny to me. I'm just gonna have to spend some time dialing it in.

I'm gonna go for six posts in a row if no one wants to chime in...

20. electricbody

electricbody Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Well, the Memory Toy is a bit bright (to my ears) so that might be it. I haven't heard too many people say the CC adds a boost, but I've heard many people mention the Memory Toy's boost so I'm wondering if the CC's "boost" is an aural illusion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.