Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - WOW!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Johnny Isaacs, Mar 10, 2008.

1. TY

TY Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    L.A.
    3 pages and no one has mentioned whether it will oscillate or not?

So, will it?

2. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Yes. It will oscillate wildly!

3. DblStop

DblStop Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Nashville Tenn.
    Carbon Copy Luv

I just got my CC at Guitar Center last week and I played 3 gigs with it this weekend and put it thru it's paces and it's a keeper on my board.I've gone thru 2 DL 4's just plain bad luck with Line 6.Just sold off my dd-6 it was a little too brittle sounding to my ear.Also canned the dd3 it was ok but yawn, you get the point.This little guy is here to stay on my board I love the warmth not brittle or harsh ,sounds like heaven thru my Twin Re-issue it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling lol!!!!I've had the T Rex dlay on my board for a while now and it gonna stay also,ilove the tap tempo feature on the T Rex,it's now being used for longer delays and the CC is great for the Brent Mason Chicken Pickin' stuff hope this little review helps.Mark Moree aka DblStop Soon 2 b Nashville Bound heee hawwww!!!!!!!

4. btlnckr

btlnckr TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2008
    trenton,nj
    "[I typically want delay to be more felt than heard, regardless of the amount of wet mix"/I]

Wow, I felt it was very subtle with the attack on a couple of settings but I wasn't recording with it either. And I wasn't using a lap-steel. Maybe the pup(s) in the lap-steel are a little pushy with the CC? No opinion just a chime:)

5. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    Sci-fi and flying saucer noises = self-oscillation.

Apologies for quoting myself, but since you asked:

Yes, it'll do it to the point of making bar patrons uneasy.

6. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    My Supro lap has a DiMarzio humbucker, which has hotter output than any instrument I own, so absolutely, this was a consideration. I was running a reissue '63 Vibroverb on '5', close-mic'ed with a lowly '57... I was looking for that elusive marriage of clean and dirt, articulation and sustain, and after matching delay tempo on both the Maxon AD-900 and the MXR Carbon Copy to the 6/8 tune, I opted to cut with the Maxon. I'm sure I'll record the MXR at some point, but for this particular track and for what I was going for, the Maxon merged better into the front end of the amp and subsequently sat better in the mix. As a hired gun on sessions, I try to make these sorts of calls as quickly as I can.

7. Rusty Rivers

Rusty Rivers Tele-Meister

Jan 28, 2008
    Northwest
    I tried one and while it's a very good bang for the buck and the size is desireable, it still doesn't have anything on my DMM.

8. Bugsville

Bugsville Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I got mine a few weeks ago and am loving it - I wanted to revise this thread with a discovery I just made - I took a pic of my pedal board, brought it back in and saw that the pointers on the carbon copy's knobs glow in the dark! maybe this is not a new observation, but it was new to me!

9. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

May 6, 2008
    Republic of Korea
    Ah, oscillate wildly, can't wait to get my hands on one. Speaking of which, it's coincidentally such a neato instrumental song by the Smiths too! Sorry for being so OT, I don't we'll ever have a chance to post anything with "oscillate wildly" in the title. :p

10. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Anyone know if the CC dimensions will allow it to fit into a slot in standard Boss pedalboard like this:
    [​IMG]

11. It's the same size as an MXR Phase 45/90 so it'll be a little smaller than your standard Boss/Ibanez pedal. So yes it'll fit, but it may be a little loose. Nothing some velcro couldn't solve though!

Johnny Isaacs

12. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Early H/C reviews reported that the CC had an electronic "pop" when the pedal switch was engaged/disengaged. Is this still an issue? Also, is the CC a true bypass pedal? If not, how transparent is it?

I used a Boss DD-3 with my old solid state Fender rig and it did a commendable job; however, I'm playing thru a DRRI, BJr and SCXD now. I'm thinking about adding a delay pedal to go along with an OD pedal.

13. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2004
    Middle Earth
    No pop here, and true bypass !

14. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA

15. The Saint

The Saint Tele-Meister

Dec 13, 2007
    Palmdale, CA
    Thanks for that Bro! Just ordered one

16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    5-Day Music123 15% Off Sale!

John, thanks for the tip! I just ordered my Carbon Copy, too.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008

17. Slidewinder

Slidewinder TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    Got mine about weeks ago while I stumbled across someone trying one out in a music store. I'd just bought a new DD-7 the day before and after trying the CC out for a half hour or so I brought back the DD-7 and went home with the CC. It's a much more natural sounding pedal.
    I've used it 2-3 times a week for 3 hours a night for about 3 weeks now, using strats and les pauls with no problems or issues.
    I just turn the delay knob to increase or decrease the delay time for different tunes.
    Stumbling across this pedal was a lucky accident but I'm glad I did. It's a great little pedal.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008

18. Kevinpenguin

Kevinpenguin TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Maxon AD-9 vs. the Carbon Copy?

Any chance can compare these two pedals?

I had an AD-9 - I liked it alot, but sold when my school loans didn't happen...

The Maxon was great but I don't know if it is $150 better than the Carbon Copy. Admittedly, I'm really only looking for slap back. I don't care about spacing sounds...

Some ambient Chris Isaak tone would be nice - but really - slap-back echo is what I want.

19. charleyrich

charleyrich NEW MEMBER!

Dec 21, 2008
    Northport
    How well does it work in an effects loop?

How well does it work in an effects loop? I have a Laney VC-210. The effects loop is line level Anyone try this in a similar connection?

Thanks,

Charley

20. fancychords

fancychords Tele-Holic

Oct 25, 2004
    staten island ny
    I received a carbon copy from musicians friend..Plugged it in and it worked fine..Shut it off for a few hours, tried it again and it died..Only the mod l.e.d. was working, the switch sounded microphonic, and no sound..Musicians friend is sending me another..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.