Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - WOW!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Johnny Isaacs, Mar 10, 2008.

1. I'm a huge analog delay fan. I've used a Boss DM-2 and DM-3 for years and for the last couple of years I've been using an Ibanez AD-99 on my main board.

[​IMG]

Well like all guitar players, I'm always looking at new pedals to see what's out there. I've been very content with my delays and was not looking for another delay. I wanted to get the new Analogman delay but I haven't been able to find one anywhere or online. And Robbie Wallace (RGW Electronics) isn't makin' delays yet, so I haven't been looking!

So I found myself in Cowtown guitars after playing a show Saturday and one of the guys who works there puts this sparkle green pedal in my face. Now let me start by saying, the new MXR pedals are great! I picked up the 74 RI Phase 90 a couple weeks back. It is built and sounds just like the originals. Back to the sparkle... So I plug it in and I don't hear it until I hit the strings... good start! Well this thing sounds amazing. I haven't felt like replacing my old "vintage" pedals until I played this one. This one does the slapback that I love but it'll do 600ms as well! The mod feature gives it a great warble, kinda like a tape echo. This thing sounds amazing!

Here's some reviews from online:

[​IMG]

MXR M169 CARBON COPY ANALOG DELAY PEDAL

The MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay features an entirely analog audio path, delivering rich, warm delay using old-school bucket brigade technology. The Carbon Copy boasts 600ms of delay time, with optional modulation via a top-mounted switch, and its simple three-knob layout gives you complete control over Delay Time, Mix (dry/wet blend), and Regeneration (delay repeats) - all in one incredibly compact pedal! For even more tonal options, you can also adjust width and rate control of the modulation via two internal trim pots. Giving you everything from crisp "bathroom" slap echoes to epic delays, all with the simple twist of a knob, stage-worthy blue LEDs and 9-volt operation round out this MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay!

FEATURES:

Entirely analog audio path
    Uses bucket brigade technology
    600ms Delay Time
    Top-mounted modulation switch
    Three-knob layout with Delay time, Mix, and Regeneration
    Two internal trim pots for user-adjustable width and rate control
    Blue LEDs
    Compact design
    Uses a 9-volt battery or optional AC adapter

The MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay pedal is the ultimate in rich warm delay because of its completely analog signal path. The Carbon Copy features 600ms of delay time with optional modulation all in a pedal no larger than the Phase 90. The modulation is controlled by a top mounted switch and there are three knobs for ease of use. The knobs control delay time, mix (dry/wet blend) and regen (delay repeats). Plus two internal trim pots offer user-adjustable width and rate control of the modulation for even more tonal control. With these tone controls you can go from crisp bathroom slap echoes to epic, Glimour-esque delays! True hardwire bypass, single 9-volt operation and stage ready blue LEDs make this a performance pedal for today's player.

If you're looking for a GREAT analog delay pedal, this is what YOU need!

Johnny Isaacs

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm so excited you liked it! I am calling sweetwater in the morning... the minute i saw it in guitar player I knew I'd get one... cool!

3. Seriously

This is a really great pedal. I would be totally surprised to find someone who doesn't like it! I don't really get excited about pedals and such all that often, but this one is just great!

Johnny Isaacs

4. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

I'm gettin' one! I just sold my Rocktron Retro Delay today, so I'm ready for my first analog delay.

5. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2006
    San Francisco
    Thanks Johnny.

I've read a couple of other really good reviews about this delay and I think I'm going to have to step up and get one.

I currently have a Maxon AD999 and while it is expensive and highly touted, my delays on it are distorted. Apparently this is a pretty common side effect with this pedal. I played with the internal trim pots but no luck.

Time to sell the Maxon and pick up the MXR CC.

BTW, what is the price of this bad boy?

6. getbent

7. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2006
    San Francisco
    Well that is half the price of a new Maxon AD999...:eek:

So much for boo-tique gear....:rolleyes:

Thanks

8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Mine should be here today or tomorrow. I've been loving my Maxon AD-999. I wonder how the CC stacks up to that... I sure wouldn't mind the smaller footprint, and subtle modulation every now & then is kinda cool too.

A few people have complained the modulation is TOO subtle, so here's a little info:

you can increase the depth of the modulation by changing R7 - from a 470K to a 100K (this mod info came directly from Mr. Way Huge- who helped design the CC.)

9. Modulation

Well when you open it up, you'll see it has two internal trim pots so you can adjust the modulation as you see fit! There's some cool online demo's of it on the Dunlop website.

Congrats to all the future owners! (and there will be many!)

Johnny Isaacs

10. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I've got one on order - can hardly wait for it to arrive. I seldom get this fired up about a new pedal hitting the market - but I'm pretty excited and happy about it.

11. mkg

mkg Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Kentucky
    Mine is supposed to arrive today...I'll put it in the effects loop of my Goodsell Super 17 and try it out at rehearsal tonight.
    Should be fun!

12. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2003
    Maine
    I heard one being demo'd at Musictoyz two weeks ago. It sounded real nice.

Make me want one to go with my Keeley Modded AD-9

13. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Clarkdale, AZ
    Mine just arrived via Fedex. Can't wait to try it out.

Finally, a great analog AND affordable pedal!

14. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Clarkdale, AZ
    Played the CC last night. Even better than what I was expected, certainly better than my memory of my old Boss DM-2. Phenomenal range and versatility, and as Johnny Isaacs said - quiet.

15. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Got mine yesterday. It's built like a tank and has a weird dark emerald green color. I plugged my Tele into it and the CC into my vintage Twin and it has a very cool vintage echo. Not to bright and the tone gets mushy after a few repeats. In other words it's a analog delay. I haven't really played with the internal trim pots for the modulation effect yet but I pretty sure someone here will have some recommendations on that.

For the price you can't beat it. If your looking for something with a lot of bells and whistles than this is not the pedal for you. This is just a straight up delay pedal.

16. If you're looking for a pedal with lots of bells and whistles, you're not looking for a delay pedal! ;)

Johnny Isaacs

17. getbent

Hey, I just saw that two new boss delays have been released... maybe we are hitting another golden age of delay! woo hoo!

18. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

Can someone please explain what "modulation" means when it comes to analog delay pedals? I've never owned an analog delay, but am interested in the MXR CC.

19. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Modulation means a slight chorus-y or flange-y effect added to the repeats, I think it's supposed to simulate worn tape from the old tape echos or something. On the CC, from the youtube clips I've seen & the soundclips on Dunlop's site, the modulation seems to be chorus-y to me.

20. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

Cool, thanks for the info! I never knew that some delays had modulation controls. I've only had two digital delays, never analog.

So I guess the MXR CC could cop Andy Summers' delay sounds without a flange pedal, perhaps?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.