Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mustang V, loud enough to gig?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hobo, Dec 3, 2011.

1. hobo

hobo TDPRI Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Lafayette, CA
    I've been looking for an amp to acquire to use in an AB setup on stage. I'm looking for a clean amp at decent volume, with a nice TR or similar "Fender-y" sound. Based on reviews on this board, I checked out a Mustang V 150w head plugged into an Acoustic 4x12 cabinet. While it was nice, I didn't get the impression it was loud enough to gig with, at least plugged into the cheap-o cabinet it was plugged into. Also notable is that only one side of the head was plugged in (stereo head). I play in a 4 piece with fairly low stage volume, but even so, I wasn't sure it would be able to handle it, especially since I would only use it with a 1x12 or 2x12.

Mustang V owners, let's hear it: loud enough for shows?

2. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Click on the search button and look for "Mustang"....you'll see that a number of folks gig with them regularly. My guess is that you'd need to be sure to plug the head in properly....it sounds like the one you checked out wasn't. Heck...even my Mustang 3 is loud enough to gig.

Short Answer - Absolutely!

3. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    What was the impedance rating of the cab? If it was higher than the head, the sound is likely to be anemic.

I have a Mustang III, and like Lance suggested, that baby is LOUD. If you're playing at "fairly low stage volume", the V is probably two or three times what you need.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. hobo

hobo TDPRI Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Lafayette, CA
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had read they were loud, so that makes sense. I was playing a CVC Thinline, and it should have been screaming. As it was, I don't think it was even quite as loud as my 5W Kustom head through a 10".

6. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

Not sure what you were doing wrong..but I can assure you that the 3 and 4 models are more than loud enough..certainly the V head into a worthy cab should be pushin some serious air. Heres my IV in action and I am in no way even at the half way volume mark and it's kickn some serious air out of the way ;)

http://bobbyandthejammers.wordpress.com/

7. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    +1........waaaaay more than enough to gig with.:cool:

8. hobo

hobo TDPRI Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Lafayette, CA

Great clip btw!

9. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.