Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang preset-my take on Dumble tone

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by blowtorch, Feb 5, 2015.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

2. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    This one seems to be taking off on Fuse pretty well. I suppose a lot of folks are curious.

3. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've turned the gain 1 level down all the way for a real nice cleaner version of this, which sounds great for things like "Angel of Montgomery"

4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Would it be possible to have a short recording? I don't have a Mustang, but am very curious about what you have done. On the other hand, a recording could attract the most virulent of the D-Haters.

5. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Larry I'll try to do a soundclip, both of the preset I've posted and the cleaner one. I'll see if I can't get to it tonight. It had been occurring to me previously that clips of these might be helpful to some.

Really I have no idea whether it is in the ballpark at all, it's just my idea of what a certain Dumble sound would be, within the limitations of this modeling amp.

6. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Dang Larry sorry, I've never recorded directly from this amp into the computer, and I can't readily figure it out. Looks like I've gotta download AmpliTube Fender LE/SE software, whatever that is.

I will keep at it...

7. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    PA
    You shouldn’t need Amplitube.

If you are on a Mac, you can go straight into Garage Band via USB or if you are on Windows, you can use Audacity which is free or tons of other freeware but Audacity is pretty straight forward. I tried to use the Ableton softeware but that was way too complicated for me… I was “UN-Ableton” to figure it out (ba dum tsssshhhh) I guess I was just used to Protools and couldn’t wrap my mind around it so gave up.

I have found that I sometimes get latency issues with the USB port especially if I use Protools 9 on my Macbook so I tried the headphone out and I’ve had better luck to be honest, no driver to worry about and no latency. Do I lose sound quality, maybe so but it’s a lot less hair pulling sometimes so I’ll take that over bald patches and cursing. I don’t do a whole lot of recording nowadays because I switched jobs and no longer have the free and unlimited access to audio rooms which is a major bummer because when I did work there, I had a Boss GT6 and this blows that out of the water.

8. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    captainc I run Audacity on Windows but my interface hardware is a Line6 thing (Toneport UX1) which I have only ever run through Line6 software (Gearbox). I can't figure out how to get my signal in to Audacity without running through the L6 Toneport/Gearbox.

I tried going through the Mustang and into the L6 stuff using "no amp" settings in L6, or just a preamp, but it still colored and distorted things way too much.

Yes, I am dumb.

9. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    PA
    Don’t sell yourself short… I doubt that. Have you tried the Line ins on the Line 6 with using the Headphone out on the mustang?

Or… you have a Mustang III so that has Line outs No?

I’d go that route. I love digital audio just as much as the next guy but I also love plugging things in and having them be less fussy. If you already have an interface you like using, I’d certainly go the line out of mustang to line in of interface route.

10. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    PA
    Hmm… just sounds to me like a gainstage thing. Maybe try the headphone out to see where the issue is being introduced. I’m not familiar with the III so I apologize I really can’t advise on that end.

11. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yeah I'm sure it's something very simple. I always overlook the dumbest things.

MIII has XLR out and I tried that but it squealed and screamed , probably the internal setting for the outs is too high

12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Scott Lerner hit the sound pretty well with AxeFX. The tube clones of the D* still sound better IMO, although this is a really nice tone. (http://scottlernermusic.com/axe/AxeFxHADWillis.mp3)
    I dont own a mustang, but I'm curious what this 'Dumble preset' sounds like.

13. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    JD0x0- I downloaded that last night and gave it a listen. Took awhile as it didn't want to open in iTunes for some reason. The tune is a little jazzier/fusionier than I generally care for, but yeah as far as tone that's pretty much what I went for.

14. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    OK here's a real short clip, as requested. Normally I run it with a little "large hall" reverb and it really adds depth to it, but I figured that's cheating, so here it's straight up dry, no verb, no delay, nothing
    Also this is the lower gain version of the preset I'd originally made and posted.
    Recorded straight into my laptop's internal mic onto Audacity; as you can hear there is room "noise" and ambience, so it's not the best, as in, it's not direct, but this should give a basic idea anyway

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

15. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Vespa_One likes this.

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Wow! Yes, yes. For me, the selling point on a Dumble-type amp is how touch sensitive it. Listening to the recording, I could easily imagine what I would do as a guitarist playing what you just did. Basically, I would goose some notes a little more. A number of ways to go about doing that would include bends, fretting with a great deal of pressure a couple of beats behind the onset. Thanks so much for this.

17. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Larry you're welcome, and yeah I wasn't showing off my playing at all, I know that clip is very bland. Now here's a clip of the original preset, (more drive, reverb intact)

https://soundcloud.com/rottentommy/dmbldrv

18. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Way to go, blowtorch! Sounds cool, I've never played a dumble but really like that sound of the preset you posted. Will have to try soon...thx!

19. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    pondcaster, thanks! I've never played one either :D

20. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Since others have been recently posting their takes on Dumble-like tones created on non-Dumble amps, I thought I'd repost this. I'm sure there are many who will say my clips here sound nothing at all like a dumble

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.