Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang PJ string question-need help

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by BGTele, Nov 8, 2017.

1. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2008
    West New Jersey
    I recently bought a Mustang short scale PJ bass and would like to put some flat wound strings on it. I wrote to Fender on their web site three times and got no answer. Has anyone put flat wounds on a new Mustang PJ and if so, what kind worked? Also, I asked Fender what kind of round wounds were on my bass when new. No answer on that one either. If I have to cut long scale strings to fit, how difficult is it? Any help would be appreciated. I wondered if Fender didn't answer because there are no strings that fit and they didn't know how to tell me.

2. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2008
    West New Jersey
    Thanks for the link. I've heard that not all short scale strings will fit the Mustang. Has anyone actually put flat wounds on a new Mustang PJ? The strings on basstringsonline are pricey and none specify that they fit a Mustang PJ.

3. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    I don't where you heard that there are problems finding strings for this bass. To be honest it sounds like a load if smoke. Secondly, if you think BSO's prices are high I suggest you return or sell the P/J. Their prices are better than most FWIW. Also, you should contact Jason directly as he is the resident expert there. Or, why not take your bass to a shop and find out which strings they have that will work? You could also call Sweetwater to see what they might suggest. They seem to have a knowledgeable staff.

4. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2008
    West New Jersey
    I did contact someone at bassstringsonline and after a week I got an answer. They said, D'Addario
    Chromes, short scale were what most people asked for. I read comments here on TDPRI about the
    difficulty of finding strings that fit the new Mustang bass. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

5. Fox rox

Fox rox TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Feb 19, 2011
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Any short scale strings will work with this bass, and howlin has given an excellent recommendation on where to buy them. I personally went with D'Addario ETB92S tape wounds on mine, and I absolutely love them.

6. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2008
    West New Jersey

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    What’s the scale length? Thirty inches, right? Short scale chromes will work fine. Labella makes a set of low tension flats that I like a lot

8. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2008
    Dortmund, Germany
    A "real" Mustang needs 32" strings (2" for body thru) as far as I know...

For Short Scales with "P57 bridges" you need 30" stings.

TELE_BLUES likes this.

9. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Standard short chromes worked fine on mine,no string thru to deal with.

10. berg1100

berg1100 TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2011
    USA
    Not all short scale strings will work with the Mustang, due to the length of string between the saddle and the mounting point at the rear of the bridge. For instance, Rotosound 77 short scale strings are too short. IE: the cloth wrap at the end of the string will land on the wrong side of the nut. I can't speculate on what *might* work, but I do know that regular scale, light flat D'Addario XL Chromes work perfectly on my Mustang.

11. Taildragger

Taildragger TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Cadfael is correct: any Mustangs with string-through bridges: vintage ones, the MIJ re-pops, the MIM ("Pawnshop"?) ones with the big humbucker, the string-through Squiers generally need medium-scale strings, despite the fact that they are short-scale basses.

The one in my avatar is an MIJ re-pop which I string with medium-scale D'Addario ECB81M XL Chromes (45•65•80•100) and am happy with them. I use the same strings on my MIK Newark Street Guild Starfire, another short-scale bass that has a bridge design which, though not string-through, has a greater distance between the bridge saddles and string ball-end attachment points than many Fender-style bass bridges.

I don't own one, but I'm pretty sure that short-scale Chromes will fit fine on the new PJ Mustangs.

12. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    it's probably a bit late to respond, but I have stainless steel flat wounds on my Mustang bass. They are marketed specifically for Mustangs.

La Bella 760F-MUS for 30' scale

13. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    This is a very popular bass all of a sudden. Mine's coming tomorrow unless UPS screws me again.

14. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    Mine is a MIJ 1993 model. I bought it on eBay from Japan about 4 years ago. There were a lot of them around then. The second bridge pickup is a recent innovation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.