Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang owners, try this

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by fender4life, Aug 16, 2014.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Same here. So i clicked the youtube logo to see if it would play on youtube as often is the case, but no go there either.

2. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Preset Sound Check

Whoops, sorry guys. It should be going now. :oops: :rolleyes:

Again, not much musical structure here (on my part - not the preset).
    I was foraging for dynamic responses, so I did slow and repetitive phrases to make comparisons and observe tonal variances within the preset.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

3. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    There ya go. Tele w/whammy ! Thats gotta sound very stratty i assume. As to dynamics, that tone has a lot less than some others, but it's not really meant to. It's got the gain to less gain dynamics, but not so much the gain to clean thing. I will upload that bassman patch i mentioned. Sounds kinda 1/2 way between a marshall and the tweed drive. I really like it for an all around tone more than the tweed drive which is more of a one trick pony, albeit a very cool OTP. I'll post that one in this thread in a bit.

4. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    ^ I hope I didn't give you the impression that I didn't like it.

As a rule, I only nominate and play the first 4 channels on my Mustang… from clean to high-gain. I'm seriously thinking of placing this modded version your ZZ Tweed preset as my number 3. I've yet to try it out in a venue, but so far I'm really loving everything about it!

Keep 'em coming! :D

5. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I'm trying to upload that bassman patch but that friggin fuse software is about as intuitive as a owners manual is to a blind man. Cannot figure out how to get the patch to say i am the author, and those are the only ones that give me the upload option.

6. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    ^ Select the preset from the Fuse 'computer list' and that will open up the preset with the picture of the amp sim in front of you. On the upper lefthand corner, right next to the Advanced Amp setting button, click the Preset Info button. You can fill in the fields from in there.

By the way, your ZZ Tweed Drive preset has "dazco" listed as the author.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

7. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I got it, tho i can't enter the info like you said. It's greyed out. But i was able to do as i was told in a reply at the fuse forum, load the preset then save it. And yes, thats my username there.

So anyways heres that bassman preset. I like this one a lot. If you alter it you should save the original to compare. I find that if i alter the high end especially in this one it loses some of it's charm. Not saying you shouldn't, but i did at one point and thought it was better, but when i later compared i noticed the original just had much more of what I liked about it in the 1st place.

https://fuse.fender.com/mustangv2/presets/dazco-bassman-od/

8. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    I like the ZZ Tweed one on YouTube a lot. (You might just have listened to a bit of Jeff Beck!). I can't do that one as I still have a v1 MIII, but you have got the right degree of grit vs sweetness and great harmonic complexity going on there.

9. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Yeah, that tweed twin model has that. Not a beck fan tho, but it also reeks of ZZ. His demo isn't done with that type of playing so it's hard to tell, but start ripping a ZZ riff and there it is in all it's glory. Truly one of the sweetest distortion tones i've ever played. It has that what you've always heard in your head but never been able to find kinda thing going on. You really should get a V2. They are so cheap theres no reason not to. Just the fact you frequent guitar forums show how much you love guitar tone, so i say do what u have too and get one. Sell the V1 and scrape together another buck fifty or whatever. Don't miss out....life is short.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yes that tweed preset is very nice. I will be checking into setting that one up as soon as I have a little spare time, hopefully tomorrow. I expect I will not be able to get it exact on my Floor, as that is a slightly different set of options as my MIII, but I do look forward very much to having it be on my MIII.

Apart from it being a great sounding preset, that is some very nice, soulful phrasing. Haunting, in a pleasing way, in that context. It reminds me how it's good to slow down sometimes, and let things breathe some

11. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Be sure to try the bassman one i posted above too. I think it's my fav now. More versatile than the tweed drive preset, but still has a lot of that same tweed flavor. More chimey and articulate rhythm and clean up worlds better for much nicer cleans. I haven't been using my marshall or supersonic presets latey since i made the bassman one. As much as i love that tweed drive one, it's much more of a one trick pony.

12. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    fender4life, will do, thanks!

13. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Hmmmm... what is the upside? How much different is the v2? Just the new amp models & XLR outs? I've really not read much about it.

Was thinking about the v2 but was wondering if it would be worth the effort to make the switch?

14. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Well, It does have more models and that in itself is probably worth it. for example, the bassman model is to me a great model that i find myself gravitating to all the time. Whether the V1 has that one i dunno. But point is, there may well be models in there you would like immensely, maybe even more than anything you have. Plus with the fizz issue the V1 had, who knows how the overall tone may be compromised even if you don't hear that. But in the end it's all about you. Personally i find it a no brainer because i have spent more on tubes for most of the tube amps i've owned than i spent to buy the MIII !!! The thing is so cheap I see no reason not to have the best mustang possible. If you're a young guy in your teens or such with no job or one that doesn't pay well and it would be a major investment for you, then i can see why you might have to think about it. And truth be told i never had a V1 so i don't know whether it's a big upgrade. But just the models that were added for ME at least would make me move up.

15. nattaruk

nattaruk Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2011
    London
    There's not that much added new to the V.2 Mustang:

Amp Models, only a handful; yet another Fender and a couple of really good amps:
    Studio Preamp, '57 Twin, '60s Thrift, British Watts, & British Colour

Effects, mainly various drive / distortion stomp boxes
    Ranger Boost, Green Box, Orange Box, Black Box, Big Fuzz, & Intelligent Pitch Shifting

16. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    See, for me the stomps are very important because there are OD tones that come from certain models that are not available w/o a stomp. That tweed drive patch i uploaded for example. It's the 57 twin, which according to you is not available on the V1. But regardless, even if it were, w/o the greenbox it doesn't have any notible OD. It's just muddy very low gain uselessness. Add the greenbox and thats how i got the tweed drive patch. More than half my patches are like that. W/O the stomps, and the right ones, I'd probably be using the 70's marshall and supersonic all the time because they're the only real dynamic OD tones I found to be available w/o a stomp. You can get away with the overdrive stomp, but the green box is what separated my fav patches from being just another decent OD tone. I tried the overdrive stomp first on them all and it's what i always used till i discovered the green box does it all so much better to achieve a great driven amp tone that sounds like and amp, not a pedal driving an amp. Anyways, point is that to me and therefore probably many others, the V2 is worth it. Not to mention peace of mind that any global tone issues are likely rectified like the fizz issue. But it comes down to how satisfied you are and how important it is to you to have the max options. Like i said, at the price i don't see any reason to have to think about it.

17. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    The v1 is a very capable amp (I had it for about a week, due to a mix-up when I ordered my v2). So it's up to the individual to decide whether or not the v2 has the right necessities to make a difference to one's playing (or joy factor).

We all have different guitar set-ups, musical tastes and play different genres - so for some the upgrades on the v2 might very well be superfluous.

For my specific guitar and the kind of playing that I enjoy, the 57 Twin amp sim and the Greenbox each on their own alone, are exquisite. I actually find various combinations made between the two makes it very versatile, whereas the OP does not (which is a valid assessment too, as we all operate in different circumstance). The rest of the new stuff on the v2 I can take it or leave it. The way I look at it, in the pre-modeller days, I would've have bought some kind of Greenbox effects pedal to achieve the sound I hear in my head. The price of a good pedal alone is probably the same as the price difference between the v1 and the v2. With the v2 I also get the 57 Twin - so in my case, well worth the effort.

Problem is, you won't know its worth until you try the v2 in your own context. It would be good if you have a friend (or a music store) that can let you play one. Or like the OP said, if the extra outlay isn't a factor, just throw caution to the wind and get one.

18. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Thanks for the replies! I've wondered about that for the last little while. I would love to "borrow" one from GC to A/B test it in the ol' music room...?

19. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Exactly, and thats basically what I did ! I was a dyed in the wool tube snob till i happened to plug into a mustang to test a guitar at GC. However, i'd never have bought it if not for the 30 day return policy. Thank god for that policy ! I bought it figuring it was probably a fluke that it seemed to feel right when i played it and if i bought it i'd likely start noticing the shortcomings within a couple weeks at most. But i figured with the return policy why not? So in effect i DID borrow it from GC. Within a short time however i knew it wouldn't be going back.

20. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    fender4life, snagged both presets and liking them well, thanks!

I was pleasantly surprised to find I had very little problem approximating them actually very closely on my Floor, also

Thanks again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.