Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang owners, try this

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by fender4life, Aug 16, 2014.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I think you may like this setting i cane up with as much as i do if you like raunchy ZZ style gain. Use the 57 twin model and the green box stomp. I use some delay too but thats your call. Just a little to give it some air. This is great ZZ style tweed with gain and i was able to tweak out the sloppy low end. But it has that killer ZZ grind. Try the same settings but depending on the guitar you may wanna go up or down on the gain. Using a 52 tele these settings give me a healthy does of OD that cleans up really nice but retains that grinding edge even when cleaning up. I have a second identical patch in the slot right next to it with a bit more gain when i want that. Same exact settings but the greenbox gain knob. Lemmie know what u think. I think this one is a winner, and i'm digging it in a big way. Let me know what u think if u try it.

57 twin:
    gain: 10
    volume: 3.8
    treble: 7.4
    mid: 4.9
    bass: 4.2
    sag: all the way down
    bias:all the way up
    gate: off
    cab: 65 twin
    presence: 8.6

green box stomp:
    level: 10
    gain: 6.2
    tone: 8.1
    blend: 47%

2. unlawfulsoup

unlawfulsoup TDPRI Member

Feb 14, 2014
    NY
    Just a thought, but you could export the patch onto the Fender fuse site. That way we can just download it sync it on to our amps. :)

3. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I tried that and followed the instructions to a T on fender's site. But when i right click the preset i'm supposed to be "presented with the option to upload". There is none however. All it offers me are "load preset", "save preset to amp" and "delete preset". And yes, i'm logged in and in the media library where i see the file. I'll see if i can figure out whats going on and upload it if at all possible.

4. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2014
    Canton, MA
    I think we need an entire thread dedicated to Mustang presets. I'm digging into it now and realizing how easy it is to get good enough generic settings, but NAILING a sound is much harder. Downloading preset after preset seems annoying, too.

5. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois

And the differences in guitars plays a huge part in downloaded presets not sounding just right. There's usually anywhere from a little to a lot of tweaking required once you download a patch just because of variations in guitars. I've heard it said before and very much agree that there should be a place in the preset description where someone can put in what kind of guitar they used.

6. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    Count me in!

7. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Yep, me too good idea.

If Fender4life could modify the thread title, this thread could be THE 'go-to' Mustang Preset Thread for TDPRI members?

8. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I'll try it tonight...

9. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

10. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    I tried this a while back but no one seemed to latch on?

Wish we could have a thread where people posted presets daily!

11. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I think that's what the Mustang Fuse website is designed/intended for… but it's too generic.

But yes, it would be good to have a preset thread here because our preset discussions are likely to be Telecaster specific...

12. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    In case you didn't see it, i uploaded the preset...
    https://fuse.fender.com/mustangv2/presets/dazco-zz-tweed-drive/

I have changed a couple things but can't edit my original post to change them. One is bland on the stomp is all the way up instead of 47%. Thats reflected in the preset i uploaded. What ISN'T is i also changed the mids to 3.9 which just keeps it from being quite as nasally in the mids. I would definately play with that and the treble to find your best tone. It IS pretty dark overall but thats the nature of that model. But i've experimented with cabs and a lot of other things trying to get more brightness and if i do it tends to ruin the vibe. But cranking the amp treble may be worth a shot for you if you feel the need. I found it changed the tone in a way that wasn't what i wanted.

13. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    ^ Thanks for that F4L.

I find that with most downloaded presets, I do end up tweaking a bit here and there anyway - to compensate for my tonal preferences and my guitar characteristics.

What I love about all this, is that we can all learn from each other's presets (a different approach, and way of thinking). For example, I haven't used the Green Box stomp as of yet… and I'm not familiar with the ZZ grind either.

I might like it, but if not… I'm sure it would give me a new perspective that might pave the way to a new preset that I may not have otherwise explored.

All good! Win win! :D

14. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    If you like that really rich grindy ZZ top tone you'll love this one. It's very middy, but thats the nature of tweed amps. Turning the guitar down doesn't clean up as much as some of the other models, but it's a great range of slight dirt to a pretty high drive level at 10. It's one of those sounds that is just so fun to play because it feels and responds so good. If all i could have is this preset and my main one, a super sonic tweaked to my preference, I'd still be overjoyed with the mustang. Such an amazing amp.

15. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have a Mustang and I'm in. Working on my patented Barry Manilow settings now...:oops:

Seriously, Ima bout to try this ZZ setting as soon as I finish a little work. Great idea for an ongoing thread. :cool:

EDIT: Ah, it's a Mustang 2 preset. :cry:

16. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    I have a Mustang III v1 and learned a neat trick for an acoustic guitar preset from another member of this forum.

Start with a clean '65 Twin, then a little compression (low setting). Add reverb to taste.

I don't know how well this compares to using the Studio Preamp on the v2's but my acoustic guitars sound good through the Mustang v1 with those settings!

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

17. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I like it!

From my experience, high-gain overdriven presets usually either marginalises or obliterates the tonal nuances. A well constructed high-gain preset should still have good tonal characteristics… this is one of them.

My modified Tele Nashville De Luxe has a bright voice, so I was aware that with my set-up the preset may not be as dark as you described. After downloading, I tried the preset untouched and resisted the tendency to mess with it.

It "chimes" (for lack of a better term) in a good way, on the higher resister - lovely! Untouched, the mids and the bass are a tad dry for my guitar. I only tested it on vol 2 (late at night), so I've yet to crank it up to see if the dynamic fattens up a bit when the walls are shaking. ;)

I'll get acquainted with it a little bit longer, before I start twiddling with the EQ - when I do, I'll make sure I don't lose the chimey trebles. I didn't dig deep to have a look at the GreenBox settings yet. I also like the Delay and the Reverb… not how I normally set those up, so I'll be looking into those settings. I also tried them both on at the same time, I kinda like that too.

It's not far, from getting it 'just right' for my ears. Nice! Thanks for sharing this F4L! :)

18. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Cool, glad u like it. You may find some tweaking necassary when you do get around to cranking the volume. I tweaked it fairly low, about 2 or 2.5 on the global master. So it may require some high attenuation as you turn up. But same with all patches. In fact, thats my one complaint about the mustang. I wish along with the global master they would have included a global single knob tone control so you could darken the tone up a bit when louder so your patches could sound good at whatever volume you are at without having to tweak them. I am slowly working my way to setting it up with a bank of my fav patches EQ'd for lower volumes and a second bank with the same patches but EQ'd for higher volume. But it would have been nice to be able to have a single knob to match the tone to your volume level. Would have been such a easy thing to add. I tried a EQ in the loop, but one of the things i love about this amp is the ability to have it all with nothing more than a guitar and a cable !

19. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Try this:

After you're finished configuring and saved all your presets, turn all the amp knobs to 7 and leave them in that position for good (it won't affect the actual pot values that you pre-programmed for each preset selection). The Master Volume is the only knob that's variable - you adjust to the volume level you're playing.

I've heard back from others that this makes no difference, but it does for me. My preset EQ remains consistent regardless of volume level. YMMV

20. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Yeah, i tried that but not at 7. I'll give it a shot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.