Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang IV solo/overdrive sound lacking balls

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Kevboss, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Kevboss

Kevboss NEW MEMBER!

Aug 4, 2014
    Norfolk
    Hi folks, I'm set my solo sound out at home and sometimes I'm happy with it, then I go out and play live and it looses its balls and guts. Plenty of bottom end but when for example I play the high E string on the 12th fret and bend there's no sustain and looses it guts. It's the mids?
    BTW I'm very happy with my amp.
    Thanks

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    What i found was the V2 series mustangs when turned up really push the hi mids in a big way and also low end disappears. I felt the same as you....at home, great, but with the band it was really thin and harsh and sustain and body just went out the window and it was hard to dial it in to fix all that. What i did that really turned things around was first to use the SS 1x12 cab. It's really dark and muddy at home, but at stage volume it absolutely tames the high mids which are whats killing the smoothness and sustain. But now you have a rather dark dull tone. Step 2 fixes that. A graphic EQ in the effects loop. I used a dano fish and chips They're about $30 online i believe and they work well with the mustang. I took the 200hz slider up a couple notches to get the lows back and slid the 6.4k slider almost all the way up ad the 3.2k about 1/2 as much up. Thats because at stage volume while the mustang sounds really bright, it actually has very little top end, thats all high mids causing that. Now that you took those out with the SS cab theres no top end left to speak of. So in short, the SS cab removes the excessive high mids, and the EQ gets back the lost low end and missing high end in just the right frequencies. Of course your results may vary so you might use this as a base and tweak from there, but that took mine from being very hard to dial in at stage volume to being easy and overall sounding a lot better. Brought back the fullness and sustain and chimey sweet top end that it has at low volume.

3. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    It's kind of pointless to make a bunch of detailed recommendations without knowing what your setup is. What amp model and pedals are you using and how do you have them set?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.