Mustang-ish Electric Baritone Ukulele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crisscrosscrash, Apr 28, 2019.

1. crisscrosscrash

crisscrosscrash Tele-Meister

Figured I would document this build in case there is ever another electric uke builder out there who is interested!

This will be a 19.5" scale electric baritone ukulele - Mustang styling (2 pickups) and probably a trem. We'll see where it goes.

First up: got some nicely streaked Black Limba, enough to make a 3 piece body:
    IMG_0988.JPG

Here is the blank glued up and wet down:
    IMG_1014.JPG

Ill fine tune and cut out the shape today -- I am freehanding it pretty much: aiming for a body that looks the same as a Mustang/Duosonic, scaled down to roughly 85% -- but it needs some adjustment to get the Mustang control plate to fit in the right way (no one makes an 85% scale plate unfortunately!)

Ekko, Itchyfeet1000, Dan R and 2 others like this.
  2. crisscrosscrash

The geometry is a bit of a pain, given the full size Mustang control plate, and still leaving enough room for the bridge! I enlarged the lower bout a bit from where an actual scaled down Mustang body would be, and moved the entire right side perimeter about half an inch further from center... Anyhow, looks close enough to a Mustang still I think?

IMG_1043.JPG

haven't decided for sure what pickups I will use -- I have this G&L ASAT neck pickup with no home, and a Dimarzio Cruiser single coil sized dual blade... Probably the direction this is headed:
    IMG_1042.JPG

Today's goal: sand to the line and roundover the edge.

Ekko, Itchyfeet1000, mo62987 and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr_Q

Mr_Q TDPRI Member

I saw the thread title and thought...them there words don't go together...

Will be watching this one...

Cheers,
    Q

mo62987 likes this.
  4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

You are a genius. That is brilliant.

I look forward to your future postings.

5. crisscrosscrash

Shaping the body, gave it a roundover with the router and now giving it some mild body contours — can’t go too far with the forearm relief because I think this might get a Bigsby (!) and the smaller body doesn’t leave much room to spare, at least until someone starts making uke-sized 4 string electric hardware. I guess the market just isn’t that deep...
    ADA5AA39-4CC8-42BE-9A23-38E6D9A9C45B.jpeg E0AD694D-AF81-430C-90F2-6ABA7E3B60FC.jpeg

This is the first time I have built anything with Limba, and I like it! Little to no router burn, sands and planes easily... 10/10 will use again.

Ekko likes this.
  6. crisscrosscrash

Started working on the neck, and needing to improvise around some issues...

I have a piece of decently figured maple that I roasted at home in the oven a while back -- the colouring came out amazing, but it was far from flat after roasting, so after squaring it up, what was originally a .75" thick blank is now this:
    IMG_1081.JPG

It's a uke neck, so I'd be aiming for the finished carved thickness to be around .85, and the fretboard (wenge) is .25 - so I need to pad out the blank a little bit...

Scrounged a strip of poplar from the scrap bin, and this is the plan - it almost looks intentional:
    IMG_1083.JPG

I will do a thin wenge backstrap on the headstock, and a wenge heel cap to pad out the blank to a regular full inch top to bottom. I'll glue it up today and update the thread with pics.

Ekko likes this.
  7. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

Following this.

Reminds me of my second build. It was a Thinline based baritone ukulele for a friend. My pickup choices were a lipstick for the neck position and a hotrail for the bridge.

IMG_20181010_025750.jpg IMG_20181026_204958.jpg

hemmings, Zepfan and crisscrosscrash like this.
  8. crisscrosscrash

Lipsticks are a cool choice for electric ukes -- I've done a couple with lipsticks (they're also nice because no pole pieces! You can space out the 4 strings as you wish...)

This baritone uke had a pair of lipsticks, and this concert sized uke below it had a single one...

wenge bari uke 2.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 11.08.13 PM.png

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Zepfan, Ekko and Itchyfeet1000 like this.
  9. crisscrosscrash

Ok, so some progress on the neck today... Spent a LOT of time fussing with the geometry. I have a 14" truss rod and a 12" truss rod, but what I really need is exactly 13.5" from nut to heel for it to fit with the body as planned... Decided to just go with the 12 rod, heel adjustment, 20 frets on the neck, and the truss ends under the 1st fret...

IMG_1088.JPG

To make scaling the neck easy, I am just using a 25.5" scale slotting template and starting the nut at the 5th fret... That gives 19 1/8" scale. Perfect for a Bari uke, since I can just use regular guitar strings (the middle four) to get D-G-B-E. No fuss.
    IMG_1086.JPG

Routed for the truss with my shopbuilt jig...
    IMG_1090.JPG

And done... enough for today.
    IMG_1091.JPG

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Ekko likes this.
  10. crisscrosscrash

Some progress, some mistakes... like every build.

Some things go easy, like slotting the board using the trusty LMII mitre box
    IMG_1095.JPG

Then went ahead with the plan to laminate a wenge headstock backstrap and heel cap to get a full inch of thickness on both ends:
    IMG_1094.JPG IMG_1116 2.JPG IMG_1115.JPG

So far, things are working out. Then we get to the fretboard glue up, which doesn't work out so well. I used 2 locating pins, but noticed only AFTER unclamping that the board had shifted very slightly and one pin was leaning... The question: IS IT FATAL?? Here is a pic with a rule lined up perpendicular to the center line of the neck. The frets are slanted by a little under 1 degree. Argh.
    IMG_1144.JPG

After 2 days of cursing and wondering whether or not to bail on this neck and start again, I decided to put the markers in (aluminum tube) and see whether the slant is obvious (it won't affect the intonation, it's just a visual problem...)

Put in the dots:
    IMG_1167.JPG

Decided it will look fine. Accept the flaw and move on! So I radiused the neck to 12" with a sanding block, and shaved down and marked the headstock for drilling...
    IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG

Today's job: rout the body for the neck -- I will try to remember to take lots of set-up pics.

Attached Files:

Zepfan and Ekko like this.
  11. crisscrosscrash

Did some work on this today: drilled for the bridge posts and routed the neck pocket.

Drilling went easy:
    IMG_1223.JPG

Then on to the neck pocket... the heel of the neck is 1", and I'm aiming for a pocket 3/4" deep at the heel, with a few degrees of tilt -- the strings will be about 5/16" from the top leaving the neck, and I need them around 7/8" at the bridge. So, uh, let's just set a shallow angle and see what happens...

IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG

I know this is isn't the most precise method, so I just went for it but not to full depth, to check the angle... Which was, close. You can see here the angle is a bit too shallow: with ruler sitting on the bridge and a stand-in nut, it's not quite parallel to the fingerboard.

IMG_1218.JPG

... but it isn't that far off either. So I decided to leave it: i think the bridge willbe able to go a bit lower if need be. Or I could recess the posts a tiny bit. Or just do this:

IMG_1221.JPG

A small paper shim, which was just right to get the angle just right:

IMG_1220.JPG

So, call that a good enough.

Neck fits nicely in the pocket, everything lines up, I'll take it.

IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1230.JPG IMG_1216.JPG

Done for today. I marked it up for the pickup and control routing, which I will do tomorrow, and probably freehand (!) Because why make templates for a build you probably won't ever recreate?

Ekko likes this.
  12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Lipstick Tubes are great for those type's of builds. I used a set of P Bass pickups with a 4-way switch on a 25" scale 4 string CBG. I separated the pickups and mounted one in the neck and one in the bridge positions, just used a 500k volume and those pickups were fantastic on that build. The 4 poles were just in the right spot.

Attached Files:

13. crisscrosscrash

Nice! I used a Pbass set for a bari uke a while ago too -- sounded pretty great, with the benefit of being hum canceling in the middle position!

Zepfan likes this.
  14. crisscrosscrash

OK, some updates to the Mustang-ish build!

Routed the top for controls and pickups -- mostly just freehanded this with the router -- again, being lazy and not making templates for a one-off build!

IMG_1238.JPG

Then drilled some holes for cables and ground wires. Put a guard on the top because I have made that mistake before and gouged the top!

IMG_1235.JPG

After that I started carving the neck. i use the method I learned on youtube from Fletcher guitars -- great instructive videos, highly recommended!

Marked lines roughly 7mm either side of center on the back, and lines about 6mm from the top edge of fretboard to use as guides to carve facets. Also drew in a rough line for the headstock transition:

IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1247.JPG

Proceeded to take the bulk of the facet off with the ROSS

IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1252.JPG

Then did the rest with files:
    IMG_1257.JPG

Finished (I think)!
    IMG_1263.JPG IMG_1264.JPG

Next up: finish sanding and Tru-oiling body and neck for a week at least...

guitarbuilder and Ekko like this.
  15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

That was awesome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.