Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang III

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ce24, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

Hey Willie, what do you have your Mustang Floor running through?

2. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Blount-Vegas, TN
    In case Willie, doesn't chime in I run my Mustang Floor directly into the PA head. I've got a Floor and an MIII both programmed the same way. Which one I use is based on the gig.

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

Cool, so by going direct into PA, with no amp on stage, your sound man would have total control over the guitar's stage volume (minus the volume and tone knobs on your guitar) ? And you are comfortable hearing yourself through your monitor? Back in my live playing days, I never had myself plugged in 100% into the PA, it was always a mix between stage amps and monitors for what I heard on stage. A smaller room meant less through the PA, which is what you're doing with the MIII. Makes sense.

I'm hearing more and more about guitarists going 100% into the PA. I wish I could stand about 100 feet out and give it a listen .

4. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Blount-Vegas, TN
    Actually I do it just the opposite. I use my MIII for my larger gigs, at 100 watts it's plenty loud and I can mic it if necessary. But sometimes I'll do a guitar / bass duet at smaller venues, restaurants, etc and going from the Floor directly into the head allows me to control the volume better for lower levels. The bassist also runs directly into the head for those sessions too. I also use my Floor unit for recording because the sound is much more controllable than trying to mic the MIII. Besides I'm my own sound man so I just set everything neutral and control the tone with the Floor unit like I would a normal amp.

5. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    I thought you could record from the Mustang 3 without having to mic it ??

6. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Blount-Vegas, TN
    You can go out of the headphone jack, but it is pretty flimsy. Mine crapped out after about 2 sessions. I don't have the Mark 2 version.

7. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    what do you mean go out of the headphone jack. I got a mustang III and I also couldn't find out how to record with out micing it up and I would like to know how. But I don't know what you mean by go out of the headphone jack. How do I do it and what kind of cord would I need

8. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Blount-Vegas, TN
    All you need to do is run a cord from the headphone jack into your mixing board. The signal quality will be fine however the headphone jack is pretty darn flimsy. Also Fender says you can use he Effects Send on the back of the amp to send a signal to the board for live sound or recording, however when I tried this on my MIII it didn't sound very good.

9. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    so you need a mixing board to

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I generally have good results recording my MIII by connecting it to my computer via USB and assigning it as my interface input. Using the headphone jack or XLR outs works, but in those situations your signal is converted from digital to analog coming out of the Mustang, then analog back to digital in your audio interface before finally hitting your DAW. By assigning the Mustang as the interface, you're running a digital signal straight into your DAW.

11. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2010
    Alameda California
    USB to the computer recording could not be easier!

The Mustang III is seen as a computer sound card by the computer and you chose it, and set it up the way you like and voila there you are.

I do all my recording through the USB. I have yet to use the headphones for anything.

Guy
    :)

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

That's sounds pretty neat! I haven' done any USB recording yet outside of my Roland keyboard, so I'm really looking forward to running the Mustang this way.

So far I've used a Shure SM58 to mic the amp to get the full speaker effect and I've been really happy with that. Still, I'm curious to hear the difference and enjoy the convenience of going straight in.

13. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

Ditto.

ForumRunner_20131012_050230.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.