Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang III

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ce24, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    I sold my Maz 8 a few weeks ago, I found I always opted to play through the Mustang.

I'm not saying the Mustang sounds better than a Dr Z.. But at nightime (everyone else in the house is sleeping) volumes, I think it is.
    The brake lite was such a kill-joy for me, Since I quit gigging, most of my playing was happening when the rest of the house was asleep.

2. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

Nov 19, 2004
    So. Illinois
    We should start a Mustang club here on TDPRI where we share links to our presets.

3. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    Great idea!

(I just need to learn how to do that. :p)

4. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada

5. TeleShredder

TeleShredder Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    canada
    thats weird where the footswitch say "overdub" it should say "delay"

and im like 90% sure mine never displays POO either. I might be wrong but i dont think i am. When i turn my switch on it displays "U-3" or somthing along those lines and then just goes to display 00 indacating that it is on the 1st preset

6. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    I can't seem to come up with a compressor setting that I like, with either the stomp box or rack compressors. I'm trying to emulate that awesome squishy country tone I get with my Boss CS-2.

Anyone care to share their fave MIII compressor settings?

7. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    Been messing around with the Post Gain Compressor and I've come up with something I like!

Level - 3:00 (82%)
    Threshold - just above 7:00 (1.3%)
    Ratio - 4:30 (976)
    Attack - 9:00 (18.5%)
    Release - 3:00 (83.2%)

Squishy! :D

8. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I find that compression is the one thing I can't get right on the Mustang....so I'm starting to think it's the amp...not me. I can get some decent sounds, but nothing even close to my Boss pedal or my old Dynacomp. I like the amp a lot but find this is one limitation.

9. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    I agree, I'm a big MIII fan, but I find the compressors a bit lacking.

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Dec 22, 2011
    GA
    Must be the brown sound.

:lol:

11. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    Ya know, after playing around with my 'new' compression settings for a while, I'm back to my Boss CS-2.

I guess I'm with you guys, jtees4 and nadzab. :)

12. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

Here are the Settings I would suggest for the Mustang with regards to Compression and Bias/sag settings.

57 Deluxe

sag=match Bias=30%

Compression

Level=6.0 thrsh=2.0 Ratio=514 Atk=8.0 Rel=5.4

65 Deluxe

Sag=less Bias=30%

Compression

Level=6.0 Thrsh=1.2 Ratio=510 Atk=7.6 Rel=6.5

65 Twin

Sag=less Bias=30%

Compression

Level=7.0 Thrsh=2.7 Ratio=612 Atk=8.0 Rel=5.5

59 Bassman

Sag=match Bias=30 Presence=7.6 Blend=20%

Compression

Level=6.0 Thrsh=1.5 Ratio=514 Atk=8.0 Rel=5.4

65 Princeton

Sag=less Bias=30%

Compression

Level=6.0 thrsh=1.5 Ratio=514 Atk=8.0 Rel=5.4

13. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I will give them a shot. Thanks.

14. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    Going to try these this afternoon when I get home. Thanks!

15. hotpepper

hotpepper Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    no. il.
    Musicmatty, I'm gonna try those settings too but I was wondering what master volume do you run at? I push mine around 5 or 6. Yea I know it's pretty loud but I controll it with the guitar volume. The thing I notice is when you set these up at low levels they sound totally diferent when you crank it up some so I make all adjustments at giging levels. just curios.

16. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

I fully agree with what you say about master volume settings. I set all my presets with the master volume at 4.

I have had excellent responses when gigging out with my presets. I took some pictures of my preset settings for one of my 65 Deluxe presets. Please keep in mind, that I crafted these presets using a Telecaster with 2 single coil pickups and no humbuckers. Also, I crafted these presets on a Mustang 4 model, not the 1 & 2 small models.

ForumRunner_20130403_134545.jpg

ForumRunner_20130403_134600.jpg

ForumRunner_20130403_134611.jpg

ForumRunner_20130403_134621.jpg

17. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I bought a Mustang III v2 last night. I am ecstatic. The Fender cleans are all in there and I am pretty happy with the Marshall-esque settings as well. In fact, Aussie Rock is a great Acca Dacca preset with lots of clarity and power!

I never played the early version, but I don't notice any of the "fizz" that people mentioned. My understanding is that only some amps had this problem due to a third party supplier that was used. As a result, only some of the v1 amps were had fizz (and none of the floor units).

18. hotpepper

hotpepper Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    no. il.
    musicmatty, those are cool settings. Alittle bright for me but fixed that. Takeing piks like that is by far the best way to share settings. cracked me up but cool. thanx

19. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    Please share your settings with me, I am very interested in trying what you have ! thanks a lot ..I appreciate it !

20. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Blount-Vegas, TN
    Hey Mustang III V2 owners. When you use the XLR output, does it mute the amp or does the amp volume stay when using XLR through the head?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.