Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang iii v2

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by raf, Mar 24, 2014.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Well heres the think. The trick here, and what makes it unique and sound the way it does is having the signal into the PA arrive AFTER the amp's signal has already been heard. Even tho it's just double digit milliseconds the human ear detects the difference and it gives a huge sound. If the dry signal hits the PA then hearing that at the PA at the same time as you hear the note at the amp completely erases the effect. So i'm not sure what delay you are using, but you have to see if it's capable of that. Any delay thats stereo should be. See if the unit has a wet mix only or if the mix know when maxed out gives only wet signal. You can test it by plugging into it and out to a amp then setting it for wet only however you have to, set it to a very long delay, preferably a second or more. Then play a not and if you hear nothhing till a second later then it's set right. Then when you try this you want to set it somewhere between 30 and maybe 60 or 70 Ms at most. The more you use the more huge it will sound but the tradeoff is it will sound more and more overly processed as you make the time longer. Too much and it will get confusing. Also, the way you want to set the level is use a second delay again just to test it. With the PA set where it's going to be for the gig and a good second of selay, play one note and listen to the volume coming from the amp and the volume coming from the PA. Set the PA channel you are going into so the note that comes from the PA is the same as the amp, preferably just a bit less so the delayed note doesn't sound louder to people who are sitting closer to the PA speaker than your amp. Best thing to do is test this at home using a second amp as the PA, or anything for that matter,. Into a computer using it's speakers, into a stereo, etc. Whatever is available. Then you won't have to rush to get this right at the gig.

2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Holic

Jan 19, 2011
    This is a great strategy, I'm going to try this at a gig I'll be playing tomorrow night.

After racking my brain and trying to come up with why this works, it finally dawned on me. This is very similar to the "'orchestra effect", in which - let's say violin players - are all playing the same notes, bowing at NEARLY the same time, but not quite. Those little "imperfections" are perceived by your ear to make the sound "thicker", a natural chorus effect.

Double tracking does the same thing as well, as you never play the same riff the same way twice, even though you might swear you've picked and fretted at exactly the same time.

Can't wait to hear how this sounds in the mix tomorrow night. Thanks!

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Yes, it is like double tracking except what makes it different and sound huge is that the 2 signals are coming from different places physically. If they both came from the same speaker or even if different speakers but they were next to each other, you don't have the same effect. It would be no different than just using a slapback delay setting. I used this for a few years when i was gigging and when done right it can be breathtaking. Of course it loses some of that in the mix and over time you get used to hearing it. But it does really also help your notes achieve great presence in the mix.

4. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Holic

Jan 19, 2011
    Didn't get a chance to try it out this weekend - darn soundman wasn't really in the mood to "change his setup". C'est la vie...

5. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    I've heard some folks say the Mustang doesn't do gain all that well. I tried the Brit '80s model today and thought it sounded pretty good:

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

6. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    You should check out Shane's Johnny Lang preset. Really nice gain tones.

7. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

I'll check it out. Thanks!

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

8. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Mustang III USA Death Metal preset with a little compression:

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.