Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang iii v2

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by raf, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    More Mustang "Social" Distortion:

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

2. Scott57

Scott57 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Update: This past weekend I did a factory reset and the hiss associated with the Basic 65 Princeton setting is now gone. I'm not sure why the hiss existed in the first I place (the amp came straight from a sealed box) but I'm even happier with this amp.

3. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Hey that's great, Scott. These little technical problems can equate to big problems sound wise, so every bit of experience we come across that is posed adds to the knowledge-base. Glad you worked it out.

4. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Anybody get into the whole Amplitube or Stealthpedal thing, yet?

I just started looking at some of the stuff, though I haven't any immediate need to apply those tools.

5. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    POPA Preset on Shane's Mustang Monday - Series #9

Hey, just saw this today… a Mustang preset ala Popa Chubby??

I never heard of Popa until now, so I had a dig around and found this - pretty cool…

If you like that (I really do), here's Shane's take on the setting for the Mustang III. Bear in mind that it's been dialled-in for a Strat, so may not necessarily work the same for a Tele (I'll work on mine tho, hehe). The 'where to download' the preset are in the blurb below the video on that page.

One of the nicest sounding presets I've yet heard from our beloved Mustang III… nice one, Shane!! Thanks again!

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Nice post TW.

I imagine this preset will sound good with my strat. My Mexi-strat has lower gain pickups that tends to work well with higher gain patches when playing double stops and chords. I'm used to keeping the volume knob down on the guitar and cranking it up to accent a note with sustain, bend and vibrato. That's a skill I still wrestle with to keep it consistent.

Popa Chubby plays the stuff I really like and does it justice. I like his 2 Twin amp setup.
    Sweet and pure.
    With all the choices of cork sniffing amps out today, it's easy to forget how good Twins and a strat sound when cranked up.

For those out there who don't know; the Mustang IV does an incredible job of modeling a Twin. The Mustang III does too, but sounds best when running a line out to hook up more speakers.

7. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Holic

Jan 19, 2011
    This one thing I wish the III had the ability to do, even if it's plugging into a gig-provided cabinet or gig-mate's speakers (if they have a cabinet, of course). In hindsight I have a little buyer's remorse for not getting the IV and having that extra speaker moving a little more air.

8. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

That's pretty horrific. Shane's pulling his usual licks, so that sounds fine. But throw some chords in and it's plain awful, mud city fuzz. Nothing like the sound from the Popa vid.

9. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    If you don't like it, cool… just pass on that.

10. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    I think there's a way to do it with the effects loop. I can't remember the details, but I'm sure someone on here knows how.

11. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    As far as I know the only way to do it with the MIII would be if you had another amp or powered speaker. You couldn't do it with just a regular speaker cab

If you are on stage and run the DI through the PA, you could put a little in the monitors to fill fill out the stage mix. I am fine with just the MIII as my monitor on stage ut guys on the other side of the stage put my guitar in their monitors to hear me better. We can have up to 6 different monitor mixes on our board

12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    Thank you for the info. I'm sure I read something about using the effects loop to run an external cab, but they must have been using a powered unit.

I don't have any experience running external speakers myself- I'm perfectly happy micing the speaker into the PA when I play out, and using the monitors the same way you do. I'm simple and easy to please. ;)

13. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2014
    utah
    I run a second amp with my Mustang 3 to get true stereo from the delay and other stereo effects.

The way I do this is very easy. I use an XLR to 1/4 inch adapter that is plugged into the right side line out on the back of the Mustang. From the adapter is a 15 foot regular guitar cable that is plugged into the input of the second amp. It sounds huge this way as the amps are over ten feet apart.

You can also run a cable from the send of the mustang into another amp but it wont be stereo. Either way sounds good.

14. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    The cool thing with the MIII is that if you run the DI to the PA or a powered speaker and put some in the monitor, it sounds the same as your amp does because of the modeling and speaker emulation. I love the TRS direct outs on the amp. I go out front sometimes with my wireless and it sounds just like I want it to

15. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2014
    utah
    One more thing, with this setup you can control the volume of the second amp with the normal volume of the Mustang, then you can balance the two amps with the master volume of the Mustang.

16. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

To run more speakers with a Mustang 3, you need another combo that has a
    Power Amp IN jack. Run a cord from the Effects Send on the Mustang III to
    the Power Amp IN jack. This bypasses the preamp on the external combo amp.
    The two Volume knobs ( Master + Volume) on the Mustang will control the volumes on both amp. This way you can balance the volumes between the two.

I use a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 combo for my 2nd amp, which has 2 Scorpion 12's. The Mustang coming through both the 2/12 cabinet and the 12" Celestian Mustang speaker sounds really good.

When looking for the fullness and bottom from more speakers, this is the way to do it. A Fender Twin, for example sounds very authentic.

With the Mustang III, you can always add speakers, whereas with the Mustang IV, you can't subtract. This makes a difference when wanting
    the Fender Deluxe model, for example, to sound authentic.

With these high gain presets, when playing chords, I turn the volume back on my strat. It cleans up pretty well, but this has a lot to do with how hot your pickups are. The ones on my strat are fairly week. I think you have to adjust the GAIN on the amp to the output of your pickups. Some pickups will require very little gain from the amp.

I discovered this by using both humbuckers and single coils when arranging my presets. I have to adjust the GAIN accordingly, but this is probably true on most amps.

17. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Try putting a delay between the amp's DI and the PA and set it for about 30ms, repeats all the way down, and mix so that the signal thru the PA is the same volume as the amp. Play with the delay amount. Up at around 50 or 60ms it becomes like a cathedral. Too much isn't good for a couple reasons, but find the sweet spot and it's just a huge sound.

18. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA

Cool I'll have to try that... I think I can patch a delay into the channel of my mixer

19. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Note that the key to this is that the signal must NOT contain dry signal at all otherwise it won't work. So the delay has to have the ability to have wet mix only. So do at thier extreme mix setting, some do it by having a wet only output along with thier normal output. If u r unsure whether it's sending dry signal to the PA, turn the delay time to a long setting like 500ms or more, then play a note and see if you hear the initial note thru the PA. If you do it's not going to work. You want the signal out of the mustang to go directly into the delay, not to the mixer, then out of the delay into the mixer. You would been a XLR to 1/4" cable assuming the delay has only 1/4" inputs.

20. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA

I wonder if I can get the same effect just running the left and right outs to their own channels on the pa with a stereo delay with the stereo all the way up, set to 30 ms and pan each channel left and right on the mixer . It would be less gear to hook up and bring to a gig to a gig

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.