Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang iii v2

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by raf, Mar 24, 2014.

1. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    +1! Sweet tones you got there... impressive.

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    Would've helped huh? Sorry about that, thank you Shane!

3. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Cheers for that Shane. Love the harmonics you're popping out of that L/H Tele! Are those mini-rail humbucker pick-ups?

Looks like your mates were loving your Mustang III judging by the smiles on their faces while they're playing - looks like a real fun jam night. :)

4. intheblues

intheblues TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks mate.

Joe Barden Danny Gatton Pickups :)

They are basically humbuckers but they aren't voiced in that type of way, they sound really single coil to me, even in an A/B with single coils but a lot of single coil fans won't tell you that unless they've used them. :lol:

5. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    loving that classic vibe tele?

sorry, off topic. I have a white one and I've been accused on three different instances of creating some kind of a fake using real fender parts. I've offered to sell it to them for $500 and one of them was so certain it was a real, re-labeled Fender 52 reissue, he nearly brought cash!!!

6. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2014
    utah
    Really, he didn't notice the trussrod adjust hole at the peghead? Or did you change the neck? Or did this guy just not know guitars?

7. Scott57

Scott57 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Well, after swearing off modeling amps, I made a liar of myself today and broke down and bought the Mustang III v2. Just ran through all the presets and actually found the majority of them better than expected (and doing a quick tweak made my favorite ones even better). I did find the Basic 65 Princeton setting surprisingly hissing (but controllable). So far, I'm very happy with this amp. Thanks guys for making me see the light.

8. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois

Welcome to the club! Lots of good tones to be found in there.

9. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    The latter. Typical guitar player. "it can't be that good if it's not a 'real' fender!"

10. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Ok, mustang aficionados, I got a good one for you.
    I recently picked up a MIM strat and its sounds really bad through my MIII. It's really harsh and digitally and quite unpleasant. I thought maybe something had gone wrong with the amp, but my Tele sounds fine through it.
    The strat sounds fine through my princeton but I'm thinking the digital amp is picking up high frequencies and accentuating them to the point of creating this digital harshness.
    Here's my theory
    The strats wiring is crappy, whoever had it before put in some really cheap Asian stuff. It has the stock pot metal bridge/saddles and zinc/alloy trem block. I believe all of this leads to a less "solid" signal leaving the guitar.

Could it be that the mustang plays better with hardtails, or better trem parts? Could it be the wiring not giving as pure of a signal?

11. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2008
    Chico Ca
    Adjust your Strat pick up height. Maybe get better pots and switch? I think a good set up might help too.

12. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    ^ +1

Do it one pup at a time with the guitar plugged in. Play, adjust, play, adjust… at a guess I'd say lower it a little bit at a time and listen if the harshness is going away. All three pups won't necessarily end up at the same height. You'll know when you've gone too far, so just back up to where it last sounded best.

If it makes no difference on the first pup you adjust, it's likely that pup-height is not the issue.

13. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Thanks for pup height suggestion. It helped a little. There's still a little harshness there that I don't hear with my Tele, but it's definitely better. I'm hoping the upgrades I already had planned make it play nicer with the MIII.

14. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Can't offer much here, but have a Strat and just got a Tele. Both sound great on my M1. Tele sounds like a Tele and Strat a Strat.

15. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    I got around to upgrading the wiring in my new strat. Still getting harsh sounds from the M3. Most all of my presets have the volume at ~8+. Could the harshness I hear be because of that? Like the equivalent of a tube amp getting muddy when too much gain or bass is applied from a pedal? I really need to sit down and play with it for awhile.

16. TeleTex82

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    Are you using downloaded presets or your own?

17. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Mostly my own. I've downloaded a few, the usually tweak them.

18. TeleTex82

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    I would try downloading a couple of good ones, maybe Shane's and seeing what it sounds like through those just to eliminate anything you might be overlooking with your own.

19. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    I've downloaded most of his patches, his 68 CDR is my 00 patch. Even that sounded bad with my new strat.
    Did some tweaking tonight and figured it out.
    I had my volumes set too high. Also played around with the noise gate. Found out it doesn't act like a normal gate. It's more of an adjustable noise filter. Very cool.
    Thanks for the help guys, the mustang has come off the possible "to sell" list.

20. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Here's a video with my M3 and Strat. The M3 is on a clean Twin setting (with compressor and OD pedals):

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.