Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang III - convince me this is the right choice

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by unixfish, Jan 18, 2015.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Have had the chance to play my Mustang I with headphones a few times - it's quite good at that! But I'm not a fan of how the presets were conceived - both in the default choices made by Fender, and by the overlap in how the presets are controlled by the "amp selector" knob and the 3-color system. Was this really the best way to do things?

The majority of the v2 amps aren't even available to listen to on the factory settings, which means the would-be user will never hear the Silvertone, HiWatt, etc. if they test it out in Guitar Center. And even once you map those to a preset, do I have to remember that my Silvertone is saved as a '65 Twin with the light being red instead of orange?

The Vox Valvetronix series has its own share of problems, but at least it had "Manual" mode, which let you just play the amps and turn off all the other crap without setting that up through a PC. Now, will this be a big deal after I get the amps set up properly in FUSE? Maybe not. But you have to imagine there's a good percentage of users that will never bother with FUSE, and even more that will never buy a Mustang because they didn't like how the presets sounded in the store. And that's too bad.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

my bet is that about 70% of all musical instruments that have been bought get almost no use. Most of the stuff I buy from people is in perfect condition...

3. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA

I'd say this number probably goes down with high end gear, but then again richer guys can buy better gear to never play haha. Hard to tell.

4. getbent

in my experience, rich guys are more careful with their money, which is why they have more.

thought question: would you guess that rich guys are dumber than broke guys?

Take a look on Craigslist and ebay and see what kind of gear is on there... is it high end gear or lots of squiers with some nice stuff?

for band instruments, I bought several pieces that my kids tried out and then passed on... nearly unplayed... and at garage sales, same thing.. lots of beginner stuff that never really got used...

your profile says you are 17... I'll bet there are 5 kids in your class who have brand new amps and guitars that they have barely touched.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I would bet it's more like he's the only one in his class that plays guitar.
    It's not nearly the rage it used to be.

Which I guess was kind of the point, here

6. getbent

I have a son who is a senior in high school. they have a battle of the bands at his high school and 15 or 20 bands participate...

you may be right for the wilds of wisconsin... but, everytime I go in Guitar Center it is full of kids... and some scowling old dudes in hawaiian shirts.... I have had probably 20 or more requests from little league parents I know about what to get their kid who wants to rock (or join the band)...

most never go very far.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    That is still very cool though, that you see at least an interest in it (passing though it may be) among the youth.

At my kids' high school the "battle of the bands" is boyband and hiphop stuff

The "kids" I see in Guitar Center around here are mostly the thirty-something, sleeved out, livin in mom's basement type

8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Maybe on the left coast. Even here it the shadow of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it is nowhere as prevalent as it was when I grew up.

But, you are right about the young-uns buying equipment, playing it for a month, giving it up, and selling off the beginner gear.

9. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2015
    O'Fallon, Mo
    There is a Mustang Floor model, and that goes for $200.

10. unixfish

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    So, if the factory presets are not good, how do you see if you like the amp at a store?

I played one at my favorite Mom and Pop today, and I was rolling through the settings, not really knowing what they were, but not hearing much difference when I changed them. Yeah, it was not up front, and I did not have it up very loud, and I got lost in the stop box settings, and got quickly overwhelmed with all kinds of settings.

Maybe I need to look up a "how to" primer to figure some baseline stuff out first. Coming in cold and trying to figure out how to set up a sound went nowhere quickly.

I don't think I can spend three weeks in the store working this out for a $330 purchase.

11. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA

Just go yo the end of the presets to the basic amp models like the Basic Deluxe and then treat the amp like it is a regular amp. Adjust the EQ, gain and reverb to your liking and play. I think this is how this amp sounds best, You can play around with adding fx later. The fx are ok but not great. A Stomp Box overdrive is usefull for kicking up the gain more within a preset and can sound better adding some OD than cranking the gain all the way up for the amp model

12. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

You don't have to. Select a model you like or know like a Twin, turn of the mod and Fx knobs, then use amp as you would any other. That will give you an idea of the sounds available.

13. unixfish

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    That helps a lot. Thanks.

14. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Finally got a chance to hook my Mustang up to a PC and work with the FUSE software. I have to say that it is a much better experience than using Fuse with the Super Champ X2. Same basic interface, but the Mustang has significantly more content available, and it's a lot easier to figure out what you are programming with the display lights, etc.

So I got access to some of the additional amps, and thought the Silvertone was decent - not great with my Les Paul-style guitar, but I'd like to try it with a Strat. Actually, the Orange model was better than I thought it'd be, and Hiwatt was not bad either.

The number one mistake people make in setting up modeling amps (in my opinion) is balancing the levels. How do people generally work the levels on the Mustang? Is it like the THR10, where you want the "Volume" basically opened up all the way to get the most dynamic sound from that model (and then adjust the Master Volume to control the output level)?

15. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I guess everyone will have their own way of setting the levels on the Mustang. Here's what I do when making a preset from scratch.
    1) Obviously first select the type of amp sim
    2) Set the Bass Mid Treble all to 5 or halfway
    3) Make sure the Master Vol is at the usual level that I intend to play (about 3) and leave it alone. The master volume only gets used to adjust output during performances.
    4) Set the Gain to where I want the 'dirt to start' - depending on how hard I pick the guitar strings. So when I play soft, the preset is clear and clean, but when I play harder the amp sim begins to break up (grit).
    5) Adjust the preset Volume to suit… in other words, to attain the same loudness as all the other previous presets I already have.
    6) Adjust the Bass Mid Treble to bring out the desired EQ
    7) May have to readjust the preset Volume (and/or Gian) as this can sometimes be affected when altering the EQ
    8) Fine tune the preset by going to 'advanced amp settings' - mess around with Sag, Bias, Presence, Speaker Cab sim options
    9) Add Reverb and/or other Effects
    10) Save preset

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.