Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang III - convince me this is the right choice

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by unixfish, Jan 18, 2015.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree.... most of the adjusting is really the last 5% stuff... attuning to your thing and the guitars you are using...

I absolutely am blown away with how good my tone king sounds, but it took me a year to really start to know it... it always sounded 'good enough' but now, I know its nuances....

but, nobody else really hears the difference (maybe my son)... I think I can develop that with the mustang AND have drive sounds that will work in a beer bar... the TK can absolutely roar to the degree that taming it is no fun.

2. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Come to think of it, my MIIIv2 has that exact same effect on me. It makes me want to switch it on and play. I'd be walking past my music room on my way out or somewhere, then I'd catch a glimpse of the Mustang - next minute I'm playing. :lol:

Then I have to tear myself away from it, otherwise I'd be late...

3. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    This is my main criterion when selecting an amp - any amp for that matter, modeller or non-modeller. I'm not really interested in nailing any particular amp sound. I want and need tools (amps or guitars) that help me nail 'my sound.' That sound is the sound that makes me want to play more, and the sound that helps me play better.

4. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    That's it right there, the amp that makes you want to play more.

5. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2013
    Sooke, BC

That being the case, my MIII has to play second fiddle to my Mini5 Rhythm ;)

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

6. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Well, I ended up with a Mustang (I) today, almost entirely by accident, and due in part to discussions on this thread. I really had no intention on getting another modeling amp. I have a THR10 (which is great) and an X2, which I always assumed would just "supersede" anything the Mustang does because it models, uses FUSE, and has tubes. But really, they are completely different animals. The Mustang has far more range and available amps/presets, especially if you want non-Fender stuff. The community-created stuff looks pretty interesting too.

What I originally WANTED was a compact, low wattage tube amp to play at bedroom levels. But at the end of the day, small tube combos are just so one-dimensional, and if you don't crank them, you aren't getting the desired tube saturation effect anyway. There's also a lot more that can go wrong, in exchange for paying that extra money.

The "60's Thrift" model, which is based on some of those 60's Silvertone amps I had drooled over on YouTube, was part of what put me over the edge. That and the ability to play these models through headphones, which the X2 cannot do.

And I went with the Mustang I because this 8" speaker sounded convincingly full at the volumes I tested it, such that the larger speaker in the Mustang II didn't make much of a difference. (It would at louder volumes, obviously). The final straw for me was that I'm a bit of a reverb addict, and most compact tube combos don't have it. Looking forward to getting to know this amp!

7. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Congrats StormJH1!

I'm also heavily into reverb, and I'm very picky about it too - I won't play without some amount of reverb actually. The built-in reverbs options in my MIIIv2 are fantastic if not comprehensive (there's 10 to choose from, not sure if they are all available in the MI). My favourite at the moment is the '65 Fender Spring Reverb sim… it's got all that old school non-digital feel to it - WITHOUT the loud rattle pop you'd get if you happen to bump the amp cabinet! :D

If these beautiful built-in Reverb effects were packaged in a separate external pedal, it would be worth what you paid for your Mustang I amp IMHO. A "well known" Digital Reverb pedal on its own for example retails for around USD $170 new on eBay. I think the Mustang reverb sims are better…

A pedal board (a minimalist one) used to be standard equipment for me for many years. Since the Mustang, I can't be bothered with them now (all those spaghetti cables and power supply leads, and plugs, etc, etc). These days I plug straight into the amp - everything else I need has already been stored and carefully fine-tuned within each of my go-to presets. I only have (need) four custom made presets - I ignore the 96 preset channels the MIII is capable of storing.

8. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    hey guys, I keep seeing MIII references to the Greenbox stomp, and also Blackbox (supposedly a Rat). Where are these? When I go into the Stomp menu, I only see Overdrive, Compressor, etc as choices.

9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    '
    Is yours a V1 or V2? V1 has fewer stomps. If yours is a V2 and u r not seeing the greenbox of blackbox along with those you mentioned i would try doing a factory reset and if that doesn't work a firmware update. If it's V1 those are probably the stomps V1 doesn't have.

10. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Think I just realized GC hosed me, selling me a Mustang III V1 when their ad said it was a V2. Only 7 stomps. No fizz at all, but feel a bit taken, despite paying $169 with 4 button pedal. Have loved it so far, but not sure if I should take it back and ask for a V2, since that was promised, for the XLR's and extra stomps..

11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    I get a pretty good drip effect out of the '63 reverb.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    A friend of mine bought a MIII used and I couldn't find any cleans I liked on the 100 dial. I could mess and fiddle and maybe we do a factory reset. That and reverb is a bit too heavy handed on many settings.

13. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Being used, you've no idea what they've done for settings. But even the factory ones mostly suck. AFAIK, there aren't actually any clean model presets from factory, apart from the bare preamp.

Many people turn off all the mods and Fx and that takes you back to clean, or wipe whole presets and just tweak and save models they do use.

14. patiodog

patiodog TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Milwaukee, WI
    Used the MI when getting into electric guitar (played keys -- a fender rhodes -- long ago, then messed around with piano and acoustic guitar for years). At $100 new, it seemed like a no brainer. But, yeah, Fender's choice for presets is mystifying -- they're really no way to judge the series at all.
    Ended up wiping out all of the loaded presets, and set up each bank color bassman, twin, and vox models, and then setting up variations in each of those -- different compressor and fx combinations (no use for their other stomps).
    Yes, there was definitely a rabbit hole of exploring options and frankly just learning how sounds come together -- but as has been noted it also kept me interested in playing once I had it set up because any time I had a spare moment I could just plug in, twist a few knobs, and play something that sounds all right to me at bedroom volume.
    Like OP mentioned for himself, I don't go much beyond edge of breakup -- which is good, because the high-gain sounds in the fender and every other cheap digital modeler I've played with are pretty much crap. But if you want that, there are plenty of affordable analog stomps out there to give you one or 2 flavors of dirt that should work for you.
    Haven't played with the MIII -- I've gotta figure it does dirty better but I can't imagine loving it.

15. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2015
    O'Fallon, Mo
    V1 has carbon fiber tolex, and a plain white logo font on the control panel. V2 has a plain black tolex, and logo is done with a white stripe across the control panel.

16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Hmmm.....i can't say i find that to be the case at all. I don't use the hi gain models because like high gain tube amps, those tones are not real dynamic when you try to clean up while rolling back the volume. But as for thier hi gain tone, i find the mustang does that quite well with several models. Between the american metal and metal 2000 and orange models there some really good high gain sounds. I'm not sure why you feel that way but I think it does high gain better then it does fender cleans. But like i said, i prefer vintage style distortion that cleans up with the volume knob and when i want hi gain i just kick on a tube screamer to boost the input with the level cranked and gain set low or off.

Maybe because you haven't owned a V2. But whatever the reason i've played the tube amps the metal 2000 and american metal are modeled after and to me the mustang easily does them justice.

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I certainly would!

18. patiodog

patiodog TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm with you in turns of what I want in break-up, and I'm actually pretty impressed with how volume responsive some of the older models in the mustang are.

I suppose it may be my expectations and inexperience with really high gain sounds. I don't buy it or look to listen to them, I don't play them except to mess around with gear. I just felt like in playing with those patches and those models that it sounded artificial, especially if you let notes ring out. I've definitely hear worse, but I feel like if that's the sound I wanted then the Mustang would not be how I'd be going after it, even on the cheap.

And I haven't played those amps really (except to see what clean I could get out of an Orange Crush that was sitting around). It may well be that I'd be pretty unhappy with the real deal, too.

19. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Not disagreeing with your take. Your perceptions are as valid as any... the most important thing here is 'your feel combined with what you're hearing.' So if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't. I on the otherhand love the high gain sounds I can get out of my MIIIv2 (but definitely not the factory made high gain presets). In fact, I only found one factory preset out of a hundred that I care to use - left as is, untouched.

However, without the 'feel' in the audio equation, I stumbled across an amusing game I made up while I was listening to some hard rock albums in my car during a recent road trip. I was listening to a lead guitar instrumental album from 1976 (a pre-modeller era) and then suddenly I thought "yuck, that sounds like a bad taste preset from a modelling amp!" So just for fun during the rest of the trip, I pictured in my mind that every guitar solo was being done through a cheap modelling amp by some random typical kid doing covers in YouTube. I was amazed how many guitars began to sound 'artificial' and plausible with this scenario, lol.

20. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Vancouver
    Haha that's funny, i'll have to try that!
    When I was a kid , I thought Boston had the ultimate guitar tone. When I hear it now, I still like it, but it sure is high in mids and I think very un - tube like. I imagine most modellers these days can get the Rock-man/ Boston sound?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.