Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang III - convince me this is the right choice

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by unixfish, Jan 18, 2015.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    That is crazy. I was looking for a used Bear Family Ernest Tubb box set, and saw one up on Craigslist. But the guy wanted 25% above what it would cost new from Bear Family. I pointed that out to him and he said, "But this is original!"

Then you got somebody just the other day here who got a Mustang III v2 for like $125! I think warranty is transferable on these, too.

2. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2015
    O'Fallon, Mo
    The St Louis area craigslist, at least in my experience, offers very little in the way of deals. I just saw a stock Affinity Telecaster for $170, a Mustang II for $180, several Mustang I's for $100, etc. General rule of thumb is to expect people to ask retail less $20 on anything over a hundred.

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I downloaded probably 10 of them but none came close to what i wanted. But maybe for you they will. Maybe i'm pickier than most, but I just find that for me at least it takes my own tweaking to get something special enough that it's better than just any old amp. And yes, you can load the preset into the amp so it will be there without fuse.

4. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2015
    O'Fallon, Mo
    I am not too picky. I like Rockabilly, psychbilly, surf, and swamp rock. Something in those neighborhoods is good for me.

How many can you have saved on the amp?

5. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Not sure about the M1 or 2, but i think they have 25 slots so 25. On my MIII you can have 100. I can't imagine anyone needing even 25.

6. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2015
    O'Fallon, Mo
    Hell, that's more than enough. I was hoping they'd just have like 5. I can really only think of needing like 3, something fairly clean, something a little twangy and smothered in reverb, and a progression of the last with some distortion added in. With my current amps, if I want to do much changing of sound, I'll grab a different guitar.

Actually, without the LCD, I'd imagine toggling through even 25 could be a bear without fuse. I am looking at the interface now, and I only see indicators for the factory presets. Need to see about getting some hands on time with one to see how easy it is to switch. I really want the 3 for the LCD, but kinda defeats the point of much of why I want a new amp. I have a 40 watt Crate with twin 8", and a 10 watt tube amp with a single 8". For them to sound good, you have to really have them set for higher volumes than I really want to play with. I know a 100 watts pushing a 12" would be way too loud.

7. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    It sounds great low volume. But of course it's impossible to know what you consider low enough volume. But I have the III and it's mostly used at home. I rarely play out anymore so mine is mostly an at home amp and volume is not an issue. But if you ever do use it to gig it sounds fabulous for that too. The III does it all and the LCD is IMO a absolute necessity. A day with a III and you'll be wondering how you could even live w/o it. i'd recommend it for anyone over a I or II in pretty much every case barring the inability to afford one. But they're so cheap unless you live off of panhandling money it should be doable. I paid $280 out the door brand new with some discounts. Used you should be able to find one for under 200.

8. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    PA
    The mustang I/II has 24 in 3 banks of 8. The Amber bank can only be edited saved over with Fuse. I really don’t need 24 presets and since I’m finding myself only using the 57 Deluxe and 59 Bassman, I’m seriously contemplating setting up 2 amber slots for a Clean(ish) Bassman and Deluxe and have the remaining 6 be the with various stomps added for lead tones. I have my MOD and DLY/REV knobs programmed to contain the FX I commonly use tweaked to my liking (Save Effects feature… VERY Useful), so doing it this way would essentially give me the ability to select a preset with one of these two amps coupled with a stomp on the fly and add whatever FX I wish and save to Green or Red. This seems to be the most practical way to set up the mustang II I can think of to allow for the much welcomed ditching of the Fuse app. Wish I got the III but really only for the LCD screen and footswitch options. I have no need for that many presets.

9. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2015
    O'Fallon, Mo
    Typically, when I play, I have the volume set so a person in the next room wouldn't be able to hear.

The ultimate decider of what I get, is really what I can get for my one amp. I need to refret my Gretsch Pro Jet, and still plan on building a Telecaster this summer, and need to get tools to do that as well. That leaves little spare funds for an amp.

I have a Silvertone 1421 (Sears XL10). Good little amp, just I won't be needing it after I get a Mustang.

10. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Ok, well if a person in the next room can't hear it then i have to think the tone you get like that from any amp can't be very good and the mustang may just do it as well. You can play it that low no problem. However, even with tiny practice amps i have never found one who's speaker can begin to put out anything but mush at that kind of volume regardless of the wattage pushing it. Clean would be more acceptable but still wouldn't sound right at those volumes. I even had little 1 watt jobs with tiny speakers i couldn't get anything good out of at whisper levels. So I'm not sure you'll do any better with a I than a III. But you seem to think so and you know better than me what works for you so i can't guarantee the III won't be too much. But note that at those volumes it's not the amp and wattage (except with tube amps) that limits how good at tone you get at low volume as much as the fact that speakers lose a major part of what is important to guitar tone under a certain volume. Not to mention human hearing is part of it too. So you can't control that aspect at all.

11. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    I was going to pull the plug and get a Mustang III v2, but did a few comparisons at a friend's studio and although the modeller was surprisingly good stand-alone, once I then played through an actual TRRI and BMRI, there was something that just lacking on the Mustang, no matter how much tweaking on-board and with fuse sofwtware, just something in the tone was not there in the room. If anything the rackmount POD Pro HD we tried seemed to get closer to the tube amp tone, yet still not quite there. So for now I'll stick to simple tube amps:cool:

12. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2015
    O'Fallon, Mo
    My office is right below my bedroom, and if I am up later playing, I don't want to wake my wife. That's my bigger concern, situations like that.

When it comes to amp stuff, I have to admit I am not super knowledgeable. I've not really messed too much with many. My limited experience is that higher wattage, and larger speakers tend to mean louder. For the most part, I've just used the same amp my entire playing life. More often than not I play unplugged, or use modeling software on a computer with headphones. Problem is, running it through a computer adds a delay that can be annoying at times. For both amps I currently have, if I play clean, I can keep volume levels to where it is acceptable for me. It is when I start to set things for some distortion that it gets louder. I've never really played with pedals, since I can technically get the sound I want from the gear I have (albeit at louder levels). I was hoping a switching to a modeling amp could help give that sound with just a bit quieter.

13. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    A modeling amp will make it easier to get a good low vol tone than with a tube amp. But with solid state and modeling amps it's a different thing. When it comes to super low volume a small one vs a larger like the III really doesn't matter much. Like i said, it's more about your hearing and the way speakers work. Theres a point in the volume where a speaker sort of comes alive and below that it's mushy and has no cut and punch. That will happen at the same point with a given speaker regardless of the size of the amp pushing it. And small speakers aren't necassarily going to make it sound better lower. What you need is a super inefficient speaker. A speaker with a low sound pressure level (called "SPL" in the specs) Is about the only way you are going to get a better tone at the whisper levels you are talking about. It's hard to find speakers with a low enough SPL to make a lot of difference but it's possible. And otherwise a I or II isn't likely to have any real tone vs volume advantage over a III. From your description, that kind of volume is nearly impossible to play at with any kind of dynamic tone. And it's the dynamics that makes good tone good.

14. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Vancouver
    Did I read this correctly?

You are considering selling your Imperial and just using the Mustang 3 from now on? Maybe I should revisit Mustang if they are perceived as that good sounding, I feel I could trust your judgement.
    I have gone back to tubes, but maybe should reconsider...

15. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I have a amp i designed and built from the ground up looking for the perfect master volume tube amp tone after years of every marshall out there. I spent 10 years tweaking and perfecting it endlessly till i got the mustang. I felt i had it sounding better then any master volume marshall i ever owned and friends who played it agreed. It now collects dust. Is the mustang better sounding? Well, put it this way....i was able to find one model that with my own tweaks sounds and feels as good and in some ways better and i do NOT sacrifice anything. I would tend to say it doesn't sound better, it works better. That is, the dynamics are better so touch sensitivity is better, and the tone is as good if not better. But heres the thing...YOU may feel different unless 1-your sound is in it, and 2- you are able to find it.

Basically i replaced the best tube amp sounds i ever had in my life with a modeler that overall is better and with no compromises at all. But for you to find nirvana in the mustang like I, getbent and many others, it really depends on those 2 things i outlined above. Your tone has to be in there to begin with, and you gotta put in the time to find it. Took me days to find what i thought MIGHT get me there, and a couple weeks to know i found the real gold. Others took 5 minutes. It's all about how picky you are about tone. I found some killer ones in minutes but they weren't perfect in other ways. My final presets are to me perfection or at least much closer than any amp i've owned. But has that model not been in there or the stomp i use with it, i may still be playing that amp i built. So theres no guarantees with the mustang. Thats why you have lovers and haters.

16. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    Just find a setting in the amp which you don't like and save to that. Overwrite it.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I have spent some time really learning fuse and I am getting sounds that make me want to play (at home which usually I don't even plug in at home) and record (which I have only done when I have a project).... so, yeah, I'm moving the whole band to mustangs (even the keyboard player) and we are selling off the twins and acoustasonics etc... and likely the imperial...

good enough is good enough...

18. fender4life

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Now THATS an endorsement !!!

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yeah it is, dumping a TK for a Mustang.

I've really got to get into Fuse more. The thing is, I've found I've been able to create presets that I'm very happy with, without even going into Fuse

20. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    ...you think getbent will take $100 for that Imperial?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.