Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang III Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by TDPRI, Mar 4, 2011.

1. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    No flaming intended, I promise! Just genuinely thought your post was funny.

2. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Vancouver
    Don't take it as flaming, there's no meanness intended... but... this is the M3 Club! Kind of like going to hear a band and telling them their gear sucks! :lol:
    Anyhow, with the 5 year warranty, I'm sure most guys who purchase a Fender amp, specifically a Mustang, can sleep at night...
    All the best.

3. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    I've been running a Digitech RP355 into the Mustang's effects loop (Send) with great results.

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015

4. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio

Plus 1 on the rp355 I've got one that I use in the fx loop of one of my amps. It's worth buying for the reverbs alone. It does most fx quite well. About the only bad effect is the pitch shifter. The whammy sucks. And thats an original digitech pedal. Go figure?

5. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Wiggy, I've got a RP255, and since getting the Mustang, Whammy is pretty much its only job now, I like it because it does work more like their stand alone pedal (IMO). The pitch shifter on the V2 Mustang's is more like a real one than the V1, but using the exp1 with it is one of the MIII's few drawbacks, the 255 again responds more like a standalone pedal (and better/faster than my previous RP 400).

Maybe because I'm using only these one at a time (whammy/pitch shift is processor intensive to DSP) with no amp/cab or other effects in the Digitech gives better results? YMMV.

6. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I finally got a Mustang III so I'm joining the club. I found out that getting Fuse to work was a lot harder than I expected. I went to the help forum and found out that deleting the original Mustang drivers and rebuilding them worked. Nothing else, and I spent 3 hrs on it.

I was looking for a good preset for Cliffs of Dover and after downloading a few bad ones I came up with one halfway good one. Anyone have any good Cliffs presets that theywould like to share?

7. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2015
    South Wales, UK
    :DIt's funny how people perceive the same things differently, I have had my mustang 3 v2 for 4 months now. I found the Fuse software really easy to use, I was using fuse before I learned the actual amp!:D
    I am loving the amp.

8. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Just nailed one on GC website..Mustang III V2 with 4-button footswitch for $169.99. Brought it home today, looking forward to dialing it in.

9. LesCanard

LesCanard TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Buffalo
    I am a very happy new club member. I'm a home player - have a few nice amps ('65 PRRI, Vox AC15C1, Blues Jr., Vox Pathfinder) - I know I really didn't need this but as is the case - I wanted it. I have been having a blast with it - I'm scared for the other amps as they are getting no love right now. I don't think I'll move any out - but can see I'll be spending more than a fair share of my time with the MIII so I'll deal with the gluttony guilt I'll inevitably have by having so many amps when I really don't need them all. Although IMO nothing quite sounds as sweet as my PRRI (or even the AC15 for that matter) - for 1/3 of the price the MIII is off the charts.

Plus I'm a little bit of a tech geek - here is where I am right now and I think it's pretty cool. I bought the 4-button switch and use it with the 2-button. Basically - after hooking the Fuse software and Macbook Air to it I was loving it but wanted a "little" more. I essentially took my current Apple TV - Airplayed the Fuse to my flatscreen TV through it and simply bought the Apple Bluetooth track pad which allows me to sit away from the TV and computer and control everything with the trackpad and foot switches. It looks awesome and I love the whole interface I now have - Tremendous. This says nothing of the great tone - to date the Princeton, '57 Deluxe and Bassman are my favorites but they are all great! Lastly - my only other piece of gear is the Boss RC-3 Looper which sits in the Effects Loop and performs beautifully. Just a great amp!

Attached Files:

10. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2013
    Sooke, BC
    Final piece of my Mustang puzzle ;) I've had my MIII v2 for over a year now and bought the 4 button switch as soon as I got it. I use the 4b mostly for the tuner and turning effects/stomps on and off. The 2b scrolls through presets. I had been wanting the EXP-1 for it as well but it kept sinking to the bottom of the priorities and budget lists. Finally pulled the trigger and ordered one from Long&McQuade. Took a week and a half but it arrived on the weekend. Now I plan to build a couple of presets to make the most of this new tool :) I'd also like to get a pedal board now to mount the MIII stuff and my JamMan Stereo /3b switch.

11. jgat

jgat TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2010
    colorado

NOPE. You can do everything you need to with the M3 as a freestanding amp, including creating, adjusting, and saving your settings.

12. jgat

jgat TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2010
    colorado
    M3 works well for "small gigs," sure ~ and "medium" gigs as well... but wait'll you play a BIG gig with it! Line out to the PA, ( IN STEREO ! ), and you're in for a real treat.

13. jgat

jgat TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2010
    colorado
    OR, you can do the same process withOUT the Fuse software, by using the 'volume' and/or 'gain knobs on the amp itself, then saving. Keep it simple.

14. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

May 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    ALMOST everything ... for a few things you do really need FUSE (hooked up to a PC or Mac). There's apparently a Bright switch on a couple of amp models that you can only access in FUSE, and if I recall correctly, you can't move the stompboxes from "in front of the amp" to "behind the amp" unless you're in FUSE. Correct me if I'm wrong. But really it's like 99% of everything, you can do straight from the front panel, no computer.

15. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Do a sound check first! I did this, and the tone we had dialed in was totally wrong on the PA speakers. It went from a spanky country sound to almost hard rock... (we couldn't sound check, it was a carnival with lots of acts lined up in a row - plug in, play, move along).

I asked around and everyone tells me you can still get the sounds with a little tweak, but the house speaker will definitely flavor the tone differently than the mustang speaker.

Regarding the MIII without a computer... that is how I use it 99% of the time. I did plug it in and get familiar with it. It is a lot easier to dial in sounds on the computer instead of using the panel, but I prefer to just keep it stand alone. You cannot rename the patches without the PC, which is OK, but the patch names become meaningless rather quickly. I just mentally group the patches... 80 - 100 are mine, 0 - 20 are my son's. I read the amp name on the patch and look at the mods to know which it is...

I also picked up the 4 button foot switch after not having it for a year. I'll say, it did not give me a lot of additional power (for the way I use it). I don't use a lot of patches at a time, and I don't use a lot of effects per patch. So really, all it did was save me from using the utilities menu every time I play (resetting how the 2 button switch works). That said, I think you have to have it in order to use the expression pedal... which I really do want.

16. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Actually, you can rename them on the amp, but it's slow and klunky. Using the jog-dial for upper/lower case, spaces and numbers for one preset justifies connecting a PC and using Fuse to do it.

If I make a preset for an amp, I make the next few for the appropriate settings for my other guitars with an extension ID (S for Strat, T for Tele, ES for 339, '51, etc), just like a real amp, they have to be tweaked to the guitar. For presets designed for a song, I name the preset the song title (with extension ID if needed). I think of naming like a set list.

17. roosme

roosme TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Good advice, ux4484. Thanks for sharing.

18. jwsandersjr

jwsandersjr TDPRI Member Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 14, 2015
    Germantown, TN
    Well, I guess we need to count me a member of the MIII (v2) club, although I don't actually have the amp yet. I pulled the trigger this weekend and placed an order on Sweetwater. Went ahead and ordered the four button footswitch as well. Looking forward to the arrival and checking it out.

My buzzy Frontman 15 will move to the attic now.

19. jwsandersjr

jwsandersjr TDPRI Member Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 14, 2015
    Germantown, TN
    Footswitch button assignment

OK, the Mustang III (v2) came in yesterday and I started playing with it last night. The 4 button footswitch is supposed to arrive today.

Question: (and sorry if this has been asked and answered ... I did search, honest) - is there a way to do the button assignment via the FUSE software or only via the amp? When I look at the utility menu on the FUSE software, there only appear to be options for the Expression pedal.

Thanks,
    Jim

20. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Sep 29, 2010
    Tallahassee FL
    Thinking about joining the club myself. Last gig I played through a lunchbox with extension cab and a Boss ME-50 in front. I could unload all that and just use one amp and a footswitch and do more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.