Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang II and looper pedal?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ecoli, May 9, 2014.

1. ecoli

ecoli Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi all,

I'm looking at picking up a Mustang II amp for home practice. Was tempted by the III, but for the level I'll be playing at, it would be a waste for me.

My question though is using looper pedals with this amp. Am I going to run into any issues at all? Looking at the Ditto looper, which seems to be a pretty straightforward pedal. It looks like most other effects I need are available through the amp and the Fuse software.

Thanks!

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I can't see why the looper wouldn't work any differently on the Mustang than any other amp. You'll have lots of effects at your disposal, just on the amp by itself.

I was originally going to get a Mustang I or II for my home use, but then got a Mustang III v1, brand new, for the same price as the Mustang II. I couldn't pass that up.

If you plan on keeping your Mustang II in the same room with a computer, you won't have any problems doing the editing that makes this amp even more fun to use.

The Mustang I and II relies more on the computer monitor screen
    to use your simulated amp and effects controls to their fullest capabilities. I like using the FUSE software, so I keep my Mustang III plugged in, via USB, even though it's not necessary. I happen to like using the desktop monitor screen more than the LCD screen on the amp.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Actually, you want your effects before the looper, otherwise any effects in the amp are on all of your overdubs. I think this misunderstanding is where loopers get a bad rap. You want the ability to change effects between overdubs and then into the looper and then into a clean amp (there are some exceptions with an amp F/X loop). IOWs, this setup of using the amp internal effects would give you unsatisfactory results with a looper.

4. sulaco

sulaco Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Fender thought of this exact problem.

Looper works exactly the same as any other normal amp.

BUT

If you're using any effects in the amp, they'll be applied to your looped signal as well.

If you're using the amp as just an amp or amp+reverb like most amps, but you have a pedal board to make all your sounds, then you're fine. Just put the looper at the end of the chain just before the amp.

Most Mustang users use the on-board effects in the amp.

This is where Fender "thought of it" but it only applies to models with the effects loop: the 3, 4, and 5. You place your looper there, go into the advanced settings onboard the amp, and the effects loop has 2 modes: normal and "looper mode." Guess what that means?? Whatever's in the effects loop will not be inserted into the signal path until AFTER all the on-board effects. Mustang 2 does not have this option. Honestly, you can get a 3 aftermarket so cheap, you'd be silly to get a 2. My local GC has a mint, hardly played 3 for $214 right now.

5. ecoli

ecoli Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks guys. You're making the III sound very tempting :)! As to my original question, sounds like the looper will work no problem, just need to be careful where I put it. I've already downloaded Fuse to my laptop, so will have it close at hand, whichever amp I go with. Too bad they didn't make an iOS version.

6. Hallski

Hallski Tele-Meister

Sep 1, 2011
    Clarkston, MI
    THIS! I know this is an old thread, but I've been trying to figure out how to get my Digitech looper to work well with my Mustang 3 VII for a few days now, because I was using the effects loop but every time I changed patches, it changed the amp sim it was using on the loop. Still kept the distorted loop I recorded to the looper, but the basic tone of the amp was changing the recorded loop. So, this just saved the day. I had NO idea there was an option to change the FX loop mode. This amp gets cooler every time I play it! Haha. Thanks again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.