Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang GT40 Headphone Out

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by JasonKingsX, Jul 2, 2017.

1. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I don't know what others experiences are but I found the headphone out on the GT40 to be rather disappointing. It is too bright and sounds harsh to me. I know the amp is capable of sounding great through full range speakers so I expected something similar through headphones. Granted, headphones can clear 20khz easily and the 6.5 inch speakers likely top out at 8-10khz or so but the harshness I hear is not above 10khz I think.

What do others hear?

Fender can you tune up the headphone out a bit to make it sound closer to the amp through the speakers please? That would make a great low-volume practice amp that much better.

2. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Something else to add to the huge list of things Fender needs to fix on these amps. At least they didn't have to hire any beta testers since they dump that chore onto the customers.

Georox likes this.

3. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    I've often wondered how the M3v2's bal outs matched the Celestion speaker and cab. Makes you wonder if they modeled the speaker/cab and applied it to bal outs (and headphones). Maybe the GTs need some tweaking.
    Can you listen on BT headphones to see if it sounds harsh on them also? Does GTs have that capability? Can't remember. I would check that if it does.

4. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I don't believe you can listen to the GT over Bluetooth headphones but I appreciate the creative thinking and suggestion.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

5. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Fender's headphone out on the GT and V2 series sounds just as you describe. Vox does a much better job on their modeling amps IMO.

JasonKingsX likes this.

6. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I've got a VT20X on the way... I really hope you're right.

7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    I had a Vox VT40+. I would describe the headphone out as not…umm…good.

8. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I recently tried my GT40 with a different set of phones, and it sounded much better. I have noticed that all the amps I've had (and POD and Zoom type multi-effects I've owned) really vary in sound quality depending on the headphones used. I don't know about earbuds, 'cause I don't like them, so never use them.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've never heard anyone say anything terribly positive about the Vox VTX amps headphone outs. I have a VT20X and love the amp overall but when I tried it with headphones once I didn't think much of it. It was workable but I sure wouldn't buy it for that. I have a little $40 Vox Amplug that sounds much better, even through really cheap little iPhone earbuds... when I briefly had a GT40, I never thought to try it with headphones.

-Ray

10. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Another reason to pass on the new Fender GT amps.

11. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I'd like to see the manufacturers nail down the headphones out. It just makes sense. It's just a shame that it's either overlooked or given a low priority.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

12. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Sorry to ask here, but rather than start another thread or trawl through them again, I have a quick question about the GT40 and I have a feeling the OP might be able to help - I'm wondering if it's noticeably any louder than a Yamaha THR10C? I have a THR already and would like the GT40 for various reasons, but in the volume stakes I'd like to think it can outdo the THR so I can use it with a Digitech Trio+ for drums and bass output, utilising its full range speakers. Then I'll put my guitar through my Bassbreaker 15. Currently doing this with the THR but fancy the GT40 as a louder option, and also for its connectivity features. Home use only so volume not a major issue, but the THR is a tiny bit off the pace. I would consider headphone out to my home audio system which has a decent amp and speakers too, but if you say the GT40 headphone out isn't great, the THR may well win in that race. Thanks for any help

13. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    The GT40 is definitely louder than the THR IMO. I do prefer the headphone out on the THR though. I think the GT40 will handle the bass and drums fine at home levels.

14. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2013
    Bristol UK
    Thanks, I appreciate the info..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.