Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang GT v2

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Achysklic, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    Anyone thing they improved the GT with Version 2?

2. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    The outer banks of Chicagoland
    There is no version 2, yet. Only a rumor at this point.

3. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    Rumor I just watched a video yesterday of it at namm

4. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Tele-Meister

May 29, 2010
    Honolulu, HI
    Oh wow. They are upgrading the Mustang GT.

Quote from Rick Hines, the product development manager from Fender amplifiers, starting around 0:40 in the video:

"We listened to players... their needs and desires. As far as what they want to hear, what they wanted to do. And so the Mustang 2.0 is our response to that."

So, maybe release 2.0 will be focused on guitar players?

I bought a GT40 from Guitar Center all excited when they first came out. Returned it 2 days later disappointed in the bugs and lack of quality sound.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    emisilly and brobar like this.

5. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    Well, sorry - I was not aware.

6. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    Danced around what the actual improvements are, other than adding a couple of amp models and a Klon. Sounds like they are disguising a firmware upgrade by using the “2.0” designation.

emisilly likes this.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Makes me want a Kemper that much more.

8. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Yeah, wouldn’t an upgrade be just a firmware update? I mean, if they’re not adding hardware, a change in speakers, what else is there in a digital modeling amp? Not knocking it: I have a Fender Mustang III v2 that I absolutely LOVE!

privatesalt and gtrplr like this.

9. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    Well, I personally had a feeling that maybe they would make some sort of hardware change (i.e. speakers, which seem to be to GT’s Achilles) when I heard about the possibility of a version 2.0. They have already made some upgrades to the firmware, which have been improvements, but still not enough to get these off the ground.

And yes, the MIII is a great amp :)

Cog513 and Bill like this.

10. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Pedant alert; you can't have '.0'. It's either zero or a fraction. Why do (mostly those involved with hi-tech), insist on stuff like '2.0'? You can't have a zero fraction. Anyway, I hated my Mustang as probably the least user-friendly amp I owned. The accompanying 'user manual' was next to useless. It told you what things did, but not how to go about achieving them, which sort of defeats the object of a user manual.

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I don't think anything they do it the modeling itself is going to improve the base sound quality. Who need more models and all that? What they needed to do is make a new heavier more solid and maybe bit bigger cab, a much better speaker and re voice the overall curve to work with it, and a better power section. But it looks like all they did was screw with the modeling which is where it was already good. Like someone mentioned above....HARDWARE IMPROVEMENTS ! Thats what it needs. I'm afraid their V2 is doomed. Shame because the modeling itself has a lot of potential, but they saddled it with substandard box/speaker/power.

12. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    You would not be disappointed! Such a fantastic piece of gear! Love mine! Really excited to get my hands on the forthcoming update with those reverbs that sound absolutely delicious! I was saving up for a Big Sky, but with the sound of these new reverbs it sounds like getting a Big Sky to go with the Kemper would be a complete waste.

While the Kemper gets 99% of my playing time... I still couldn't bring myself to get rid of my MIII v2. It's a fantastic amp and worth more than they are selling for... so I keep it in another room and plug in every now and then.

But that Kemper though! KILLER!

privatesalt and RodeoTex like this.

13. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    They should call this new version 1.0 since it's been developed as a public Beta project since they released it.

14. atticus899

atticus899 TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Ringgold, Ga
    I love be my GT100, I guess I’m just a weirdo

15. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Tele-Meister

May 10, 2003
    Hendersonville, NC
    I love my GT100 too, especially with the Warehouse ET90 I put in it. Would I rather have a Kemper? Sure! For $420 (including speaker), though, I think it's a hell of an amp. I'm looking forward to the update.

16. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    "I'm looking forward to the update". :D

17. pacemaker1000

pacemaker1000 TDPRI Member

May 4, 2018
    Uk
    Sold mine. Couldn’t wait any longer!
    Controversial I know, but got a Spider V 60 and love it? So much better in every way than the GT 40 at least

18. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    I will keep using my great sounding M3v2 and skip this line altogether. I was really excited when the GT line was first announced, then started reading all of the issues.
    Just give me a great sounding amp with the 'normal' basics (good speaker/cab, good pedal switching for live use, effects loop, balance outs). What's the point of bells and whistles, new algorithms, if the basics are not there, or at least good as the older M3v2. Hardware first...it 'is' what brings the new algorithms to your ears after all. (That is unless you're just buying it for the algorithms and running the line out into a DAW for recording).

Bill likes this.

19. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Yep. With you on this. I’m quite content for now with my Mustang III version 2. I got it with the 2- and 4-button pedals. The whole shebang on eBay cost me the price of a couple of cheap Boss pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.