Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang GT preset ordering and switching questions

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by 9fingers, Aug 11, 2017.

1. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    I got my Mustang GT100 and have been through the manual enough to know basically how to work it. I have done the firmware update. I have the 4 button footswitch and Exp pedal from my years of Mustang IIIv2 use, and have them connected and working. I can tell from some tweaking that this is going be a very good sounding amp! (it will be a good measure better sounding still than the MIII but the switching functions have me concerned)

Questions I have now are mostly related to how to use this thing live.
    Where are you all moving your tweaked presets for easiest access?

How are you configuring the 4 button to get to them? I am trying the "preset" mode, which could be a nightmare live. To have to press two buttons at the same time to change banks and only having 3 presets per bank is terrible compared to how how the MIII works in preset mode (one button to change banks & 10 per bank). Is there a better way on the GT that I'm not getting? I have not seen a relationship between the footswitch and "Set Lists". Am I missing something there?

I have the EXP working per preset. In Mode 1 I always use it as a volume pedal. With the volume set all the way down on heel, there is still a little sound coming through, making is hard to do nice "violin/flute" swells convincingly. Is there a way to calibrate the pedal for the GT like there is with the MIII? I may have to get with tech support on that one. (The volume function on the MIII is the best, smoothest, no-tone-suck volume pedal ever).

Anyway, any hints on the most effective ways you all have to switch this thing for live use will be much appreciated and tried.

Edit to add one more: I thought I read that one of the firmware updates would have the amp stay on the preset it was on when turned off & back on. That would be great! Anyone know more about that?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Cliffyg62 likes this.

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    You're not missing anything....the switching sucks. What we have a is a sleeper of a modeling amp tone wise, especially with a "right' speaker as i keep harping about, but lousy switching system. For me it's not a big problem live because i tend to use one patch most of the time. But i use the preset mode and put my 3 main patches there and thats as much as i need. My problem is i also need effects switching and i have to scroll thru the 3 modes (looper mode i have set to disabled) to go back and fourth between being able to access the 3 presets and effects switching. forget about the 2 buttons at once to advance by 3 presets. It's a nightmare and you can't count on it to be reliable. One of the dubest features of the GT.

Theres also a quick access mode where you can choose any 3 presets in any slots and access them with the 3 buttons. So you could have button 1 selecting the preset in slot 12, the second button selecting the preset in slot 176, and button 3 select the preset in slot 53. If you wanted to use preset mode for 1,2 and 3 and set quick access for say 7, 56 ans 173, it would be good that you could have two modes that each select 3 different patches right? But in their infinite wisdom fender made it so if you choose say 5, 75 and 136 as your quick access slots, when you go to preset mode and lets say you were using that for 1, 2 and 3, after using QA mode the preset mode will no longer choose 1,2 and 3 but instead take the middle slot in QA mode as it's new group of 3. In other words, if you have QA mode set to 7, 37, and 127, next time you go to preset mode it will now choose 37 38 and 39. Hard to explain, but see what i'm getting at? point is you have your choice of preset mode to choose 3 presets next to each other, or QA mode to choose any 3 anywhere. But you cant scroll between them and have 2 different sets of 3 presets.

In short, you're right....its a crap system and if you count on the ability to do a lot of switching you're screwed. However, i think fender will change things somewhat. Not sure what it;s capable of tho w/o the MIII's ability to use a 2 button along with the 4.

As to the EXP1, i don't use mine like that so i can't say what the issue is. But look at the EXP 1 seeings and go to preset mode and turn off the exp mode and leave the volume mod on. Then go to the global mode and make sure the heel knob is all the way down. The preset mode needs to be saved, so after any changes hit the save button. Any changes you make to the global mode automatically stay, so no saving needed as you will see by the fact the save button will not light up after making global changes.

I told you about the switching and that it's the amp's achilles heel and that the tone was it's strength, so i think you knew that before u ordered it. But the tone is friggin awesome. Once you've had it a while you'll probably realize the speaker is all high mids and very strident. You can compensate for it with settings and it sound much better, but it's a bandaid. getting a real speaker is everything.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

3. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    New update...

Lambieka likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.