Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mustang GT and the iOS Tone App

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by JasonKingsX, Jun 30, 2017.

1. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I just got my GT40 today and am getting to know it. I took a break from tweaking and exploring the amp and decided to see how well the iPhone app worked. I know some folks aren't really in to that sort of thing but I was curious. Within an hour of downloading it I had browsed the on-line catalogue and downloaded about 70 presets to some empty slots. It was ridiculously easy. I was able to browse by genre, read a quick description and see what amps and effects were used (and in what order). If I thought it was promising I just hit "add" and it immediately uploaded to the amp. Zero wires and effortless.

Many of the presets were quite good and the catalogue even had MIII, MII presets too. I was able to land a wide variety. Thought I throw it out there for those interested. I had no issues whatsoever with the app or connectivity. I tried the cloud presets from the amp itself as well but the app is miles beyond that approach. I haven't gotten around to using the app to tweak parameters but it looks easy enough... swipe to the amp or effects and tweak the knobs with a finger on screen. I think it would be nice to be sitting in a chair a bit away from the amp and able to tweak things without having to get up and go physically touch the amp. That's kind of perfect for how I see myself using the GT40 at times.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I've been a fan of the App from day one even with the early glitches and feature omissions.
    It's also much easier to find a patch or preset since you can search for it on the App rather than twirl the encoder control.
    It's also much easier to use the App to adjust the settings on the Amp when you're creating a new tone
    The App will only get better as they develop it.
    Plus, it's absolutely awesome not to have another cable running from the amp and tethered to a laptop or desktop when you want to download or do deep editing.
    The desktop market is dying and the laptop market isn't far behind. It's a mobile world. I frequently say that if Apple ever builds an iPad Pro with enough power for to run Logic (sans tons of plug-ins) I would be there in a heart beat.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    JasonKingsX likes this.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2012
    WV
    Any word on how the app for Android works now?
    (Fender, not everyone has an iPhone!)

4. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I think Android may be more problematic because not every user has the same version. Some folks may still be running kitkat or lollipop which are 3 and 4 generations old. Its probaby been easier with iOS because most users are current. I think someone posted that Fender has increased their efforts with Android so something should be comng soon. Have you checked to see if their is a new release for Android?

5. The dman

The dman TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Android works much better there's some new functions and features added but it's not perfect the bluetooth can still be a little flaky.

The funny thing is I still can't get my ipad 2 to work with it. It just won't connect

6. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    It's not so much the iPad 2 as the old version of iOS you are stuck with. I have five iPads of different ages plus two iPhones. Can't use Tone on my iPad 2 or iPhone 4 because they are not upgradable. The others work fine. My Android Tablet is 'stuck' on Android 4.4 forever, but I got it free with a phone!

7. The dman

The dman TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Bummer I assumed since I have Ios 9.3.5 it would work because the app store says it needs Ios 9 and up

8. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    For streaming music you cannot be paired on another device. I turned off the bluetooth connection to MacBook and my iPad connected fine.

dobrojoe likes this.

9. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.