Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Musikraft neck - which finish?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by rydera81, Mar 19, 2018.

1. rydera81

rydera81 TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2018
    New York
    Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm currently designing my first custom musikraft neck for my BSB tele and I can't decide if I should go for the Tung oil finish or aged oil.

It's a maple neck/maple board. I want it to be non-glossy and non-slippery, which I think the oils will be good for. However, musikraft's site says that tung oil may require future recoatings. Is this also true for their aged oil?

I also want it to look slightly aged, like yellowish but not boarderline orange, if you catch my drift. Would the aged oil be too much for what I'm looking for? I hear that over time an oiled neck should age itself if it is played.

I ruled out the thin lacquer they offer because it requires more finishing to be done after the fact from what I've read. I want the neck to be ready to install and don't want to finish it myself or spend more money shipping it to a finisher.

This is my first time doing this so please excuse my noobness.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

2. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Welcome to the forum, I was a long time lurker, too.
    I love MusiKraft necks w/ Shellac (under coat) + Tung (top coat).
    If you would like to do this, order a raw (without the filler/base coat which MusiKraft regularly uses) neck since shellac won't be applied on properly with it.

3. rydera81

rydera81 TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2018
    New York
    Thanks for the welcome.

Some of the old forum posts about Musikraft necks indicate that they used to offer shellac as a finish but they don't seem to carry that anymore.

I hear that MJT is a good finisher but I looked at the prices and they charge around $200 for finishes. Is there a way that this can be done more affordably?

I have no experience with finishing guitars so I am wary about doing it myself. Thanks for the help.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I have one Musikraft neck and I finished it on my own with Tru-oil. That stuff is really durable, very easy to use, and will get you the feel you're after. I know you don't wanna to do it on your own but I still suggest reading up a bit on how people apply it and see if it's something you'd wanna try. For color beneath TO you can use any water/alcohol based dye.

Dry powders http://www.rockler.com/homestead-dry-dyes like this are cheap and come in many colors, TO costs about $9 including tax at walmart and my favorite way to apply it is with a folded coffee filter. A piece of scrap maple for practicing will be really cheap at any hardware store, that way you're in about $30 for more than enough finishing supplies, you'll have lots of control over the color, control over the feel of the topcoat, and a new skill!

Also, TO is easy to repair and doesn't need to be replenished like the regular oils you're asking about since it's actually a varnish (the name is confusing.) Sorry if I said too much and you're really against doing it on your own;)

5. OldMike

OldMike TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Cleveland Zoo
    I have used several Musicraft necks, they are first class. They say no guarantee if it leaves their shop without a finish but that is how I was planning my next build. Their finishes don't seem ever to be dark enough for me so I usually sprayed them with tinted lacquer from StewMac. I was thinking to stain first then lacquer. No matter what, I always had to sand the headstock edges to get them a little more rounded.
    It usually costs me $400 plus for a quarter sawn maple neck with a Clapton soft "V" shape which I highly recommend. If you want, you can install hardware and just bolt it on and finish it at a later time. I was new to building and did all finishing myself. I have a Fender American Standard body with Musicraft neck that I'd put up against any fender custom shop Strat. A good guitar build is the sum of good parts, but a bit of luck helps too for it to sound good.

rydera81 likes this.

6. rydera81

rydera81 TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2018
    New York
    I looked into applying Tru oil and it seems doable enough. Not as intimidating as I originally thought haha. I might just take this route.. How many coats are usually done?

Thanks for the tip!

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    That stuff is very user-friendly, I really enjoy working with it. For the non-glossy silky finish you're after, I would probably do around 10 coats and buff it with steel wool and some paste wax. Send me a pm if you want me to hash out my technique in greater detail and some pictures of what I got out of it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.