Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Musicmaster Bass amp with 15" speaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by happpychef, Dec 29, 2017.

1. happpychef

happpychef TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Australia
    I have a Musicmaster Bass amp (later version with 6v6s) which I almost love. Great breakup and I like the tone. But it's not quite full enough - I generally play in a band with it on 10 and I dig the sound but just wish it was a bit bigger. I'm planning on doing the couple of little mods I've read about here, but has anyone ever put a 15" speaker in one of these little amps? I'm pretty sure it would fit with a new baffle. Let me know what you reckon! Thanks!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Welcome, and.....the diameter of the speaker has nothing to do with the efficiency or tonality of a speaker, ime.
    A high efficiency speaker might well double your apparent volume compared to what the ampmis giving you now.
    What speaker is in the amp at the moment. If it is a 12” Oxford, it is likely to be one of the low efficiency Oxfords built from 1966 on. A speaker with an efficiency of 100db or higher will make that amp get up and give notice....as much as it can. An EV or any other high efficiency speaker is what you need, I am thinking. Eminence Gb128 or quite a few other Emi’s will be just as loud. A Weber 12f150 punches out.
    Has the amp been recapped? If not, start there....

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I've had three of those. First two sucked.

Last one had a green Tone Tubby, some circuit-tweaking, a bigger transformer, and a semi-enclosed back.

It was great but I was on the road to something else so I sold it to a harmonica player.

Don't know any specifics as I bought it used, but I think the speaker upgrade and enclosing the back made the most difference.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I once owned one of these...Gerald Weber had written a piece in Vintage Guitar about how to mod them for guitar, and I asked my tech to follow directions exactly. It sounded horrible. I tried different speakers, mostly Jensens that I knew to sound good. The best way to describe the sound was "constipated"....it was just not open or full. (not Fender-ish at all) I got rid of it after a few years, the guy who bought it just loved it.....to each his own!

5. happpychef

happpychef TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Australia
    Thanks Wally. It actually has a Vintage 30 in it. I have thought of trying an EV so maybe I'll do that. I think with a bit more bass it would sound much bigger. I'll recap it first before anything else and replace the coupling cap with one of a higher value as in this mod:
    http://hasserl.com/Amp_Mod_Docs/Fender/Hasse_MMBass_CC_mod.pdf

To Mike - I was also thinking of building a better cabinet for it and likewise semi-enclosing it.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    The Vintage 30 doesn't sound good in an open-back cab: poor bass response and too much icepick.

You might want an external cab, 2x12" or 4x10" closed back.

7. Gitfiddler

Gitfiddler TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    My '78 MM has the Hasserl mods, new JJ 6V6's and a Cannabis Rex speaker. Sounded pretty darned good with those upgrades.
    However, the amp really was hampered by its single Tone knob. This lack of EQ holds back the amp's potential. Solution? Use an EQ pedal!

I use my old Boss Bass 8 band bass EQ pedal to fine tune the tone, and its Volume slider to boost the overall amp volume. Now the amp has come alive! More headroom and better tone. Want Reverb? Connect your favorite Reverb pedal and you're ready to rock.

8. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    The Power transformer in that amp is puny, and the OT is the same size as a Princeton.

9. happpychef

happpychef TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Australia
    Still digging this amp - I love the way it sounds at full volume. Still yet to try any mods as I'm scared of changing it. When I put a new speaker in I'll let you all know how it goes. There's another one for sale near me - it's way overpriced, but I can't help thinking 2 at once would sound amazing!

10. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    I had one, and IMO the biggest culprit here is the cabinet size and construction!
    Really, go try it out: take any descent cabinet with a descent speaker and fire that baby up; you'll be blown away by how full it sounds all of the sudden!

schmee likes this.

11. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Rob D did that here years ago. To fit the 15" , he needed to trim away part of the vertical baffle mounting cleat. I'd probably just get an efficient 12" speaker for more volume.

12. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    +1 on the efficient speaker! But that does not fix the lack of bottom end though. A deeper cabinet does!

schmee likes this.

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    That's a Celestion V30 right? Those are pretty efficient already. So you won't notice the big increase in volume like you would with an Oxford like Wally mentioned.

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I had a Radio Shack/Utah 15 in my youth running that in the MMB + a Lpb-1 set for just a bit of boost made for a nice low volume bass rig with the Musicmaster bass guitar. No new baffle just new holes (these were $25 amps at the time).. didn't even need to take the mag cover off so yes it fits, and it did plump up the sound a bit. But it made the amp heavy and unstable, (mine tipped over backwards on a regular basis) I would go with a different 12 before I would put a 15 in esp. for guitar, and eventually I switched back to one.
    As others have pointed out this amp has a number of design compromises made in order for it to hit a price point. You can spend a lot of money trying to make it in to something it's not. When they were dirt cheap and one had to work w/ what was available locally that might have been your best option, now I would probably go thru it, up grade the speaker and enjoy it as a a low volume semi clean amp, perhaps with a few well chosen pedals in front, they also work well as a old school bass amp for writing parties, "acoustic" jams and recording. They are small enough you can stick it in a corner and take advantage of the "loaded" sound, makes for something different than the usual "10 inch 30 watt SS" bass amp, that most people keep for a knock around amp.

15. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    As mentioned, it has small transformers. Upgrade the output tranny will help a bit, (with some other things) but the amp also has a real shallow cabinet IIRC which takes away low end and fullness. There's a reason they dont sell for much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.