Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Musicians Friend

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by pdmartin, Dec 4, 2017.

1. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2012
    Anybody have any bad experiences buying “open box” items from Musicians Friend? Do they stand behind what they sell or just give you the runaround?

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I don't know about "open box" items, but I've returned quite a few things I got at MF.....never had a problem, dispute, or conflict. They always did right by me.

3. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    I bought a Celestion alnico G12 that supposedly was in new condition. The only issue supposedly was that the initial buyer had returned it because he did not like the sound. Otherwise, it was supposedly as good as new and had a full warranty.
    FALSE.

Whoever had it before me had over-tightened it when installing it. As a result, the speaker frame was warped/disfigured. When I called Musician's Friend to return it, they refused and insisted that the speaker had been inspected before being mailed to me. They claimed it was fine when it left their warehouse.

That was the first and last "Open box" item I ever purchased from them.

4. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Mixed experiences -
    The 2 chan wireless system was a Bust and took almost 6 mo to return "for good" w/ an interim return (at my expense) to mfg;
    The Epi 12 string - ordered as an open-box or return, was snatched up by somebody else, so they honored the price and sent a non-blem in sealed box.
    Thus far, I've been much more successful w/ conversational tone, developing any kind of rapport w/ phone gal/guy, by acknowledging any humanity I can sense in the call, and occasionally seeing things their way. I try to NEVER assume "this call" will be the "last call", so there's nothing to be gained w/ a snarky slam. When given a chance the MF/GC chat-bots and humans are probably programmed to get the call completed w/ a happy outcome for the customer.
    Peace - Deeve

Attached Files:

xafinity likes this.

5. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    Musician Friend customer service has always been good to me. Recently, I had to return 3 brand new guitars because each of them had finish flaws that I would classify as B-stock. However, some of the guitars I returned were classified as open box, while some where classified as blemished which makes me wonder about what they're putting under open box. It was a guitar that didn't have a lot of demand so I'm pretty sure the ones listed were mine.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Never had a problem with Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, or Sweetwater. I had a terrible experience with American Music Supply a few years back, and it was with an open box item.

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Bought a returned, open box, blemished, hwy 1 strat from MF probably fifteen years ago. Couldn't find a mark on it. It had obviously been opened, but everything was there, and if it had been played at all I couldn't tell.

8. ermac68

ermac68 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2012
    Huntington Beach
    Last month bought an open box, blemished p bass. Couldn’t find a mark on it. Plays great, everything included. Never had a problem returning anything either.

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Bought an open box Ludwig Accent kit at a great price. It was perfect and not open box at all. I think they designate some inventory as open box if they want to blow it out below legal MAP.

10. custodian7138

custodian7138 TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    I have had great luck with open box items from MF...

Affinity Tele, Epi 339, Mustang II amp all were without a mark on them... just no mfg box.

Fender parlor acoustic had a small gouge on the top near the bridge... but was $50 off.

EMG 81 active pickup was missing the pickup lead... they sent me a prepaid shipping label and a EMG 85 when the first one returned...

Over all... I have been very happy with their prices and condition.

11. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Maybe they just open the box first. :p

studio1087 likes this.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    This comment is less about MF than on line retailers versus stores where you can actually come in and play. My preference is a local store, whether near where I live or someplace I travel to. I'm addicted to guitars and can't pass a store without wanting to stop in to play. I also actively shop for gear. I don't like buying something I can't touch, hear, or play. Local stores needs out support. My last purchase was while visiting my son in California. I was able to play a Clapton Strat with vintage noiseless pickups and determine that they would perfectly meet my needs. I ordered the pickups from the GC store in Rancho Cucamonga where I go to play every time I visit. Prices can be negotiated so won't overpay and you'll be keeping the store you need in business. I accept that things are difference if you don't live anywhere near a music store, but I always try to buy something whenever I stop in to play, even if it's only strings.

13. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I have had good luck with MF Open Boxed items.

14. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Never had a problem with Musicians Friend, or Sweetwater for that matter. Well, once Sweetwater forgot to include candy in my order, and that's a pretty serious offense...but other than that all is good.

krowbot likes this.

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    No problem here either. MF sold me a "used" Baja that looked unplayed. Perfect condition as far as I could tell. Exchanged it for a different color and they gave me a screaming deal on the new one.

No complaints about GC either. Got some very nice guitars.

16. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I haven't got burned by MF and in fact everything has been top notch. The only thing ever was I ordered a couple of PA speakers and some of the metal trim looked like it got bent in shipping, but I was able to correct it myself real easy, so no problem.

I've got a MF story. I ordered a Lee Oskar C harmonica replacement comb. They sent me a Bd. I called them and told them and they told me to keep it and they would send me a correct replacement. Sure enough in a few days I got the replacement but it was another Bd. I called them again and they told me the same thing. This time was the C I originally wanted.
    So I've got two Bd replacement combs I'll never use probably. Tried to sell them on ebay but nobody wanted them. I guess I could install them and use them for practice? Platefire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.