Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Musicians and bands you're embarrassed to admit you like...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by soulgeezer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I suppose that sells. But that doesn't compel you to listen to them for 20+ years. Musicianship and good compositions do. I just like the energy, the atmosphere and the sonic traits of the genere, as much as I did two decades ago. I completely ignore the lyrics.

2. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    I'm a big fan of the Raspberries, Oasis and the Monkees. The Smithereens"Green Thoughts" is one of my favorite albums ever, but the rest of their body of work doesn't do much for me.

How about Little River Band? They don't seem to get much love here, so I'm glad to see them getting props. Not my favorites, but they put out some good tunes: "Cool Change", "Lady", "The Other Guy", etc.

Whew...I was afraid someone was going to say they liked the Partridge Family or the Bay City Rollers.

DougM likes this.

3. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

LRB was the first concert i ever attended.. some of their album tracks were better than their hits. Love David Briggs' playing, he inspired me to get a Firebird years ago..

Lots of great YouTube footage of their live shows, particularly with their later lineups, Farnham, Housden et al but the classic lineup with Shorrock and Briggs etc still bring back great memories of seeing them at The Hordern Pavilion in about 1980, Charlie Daniels opening for them.

Smithereens? Blow Up is an almost faultless album in my book , Indigo Blues is a massive song..

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida

5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    1. The Carpenters - I grew up when they were at their peak and aside from having the most beautiful voice, Karen could also play the drums.....
    2. Slade - these days mostly known for an irritating Christmas anthem played to death every year but a great pop/rock band back in the say
    3. Lorde - definitely not my type of music but she has something in her delivery that makes it listenable
    4. Happy by Pharrell Williams. I even both the album (mistake - as this is the only track on it that I can listen to)

Sounds Good likes this.

6. twr1

twr1 TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2016
    sonoma county, California
    That's hilarious, but I know what you mean!

7. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I used to be such a snob that it had to be hard rock, or virtuosos like Jeff Beck or Eric Johnson. Now there are tons of great pop songs from all eras that I love, but a few that others haven't mentioned- Bryan Adams, England Dan and John Ford Coley, Devo, and Lady Gaga. I also never really liked Don Dokken, but always thought George Lynch was an awesome guitar player. And to repeat what many other have said, Karen Carpenter had the voice of an angel. She gives me chills every time I hear her. And Justin Timberlake's live concert video at Madison Square Garden was amazing, as was Pink's live concert video, and of course, Gaga with Tony.

8barlouie likes this.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    AHA "Take on Me"
    Go Gos, Belinda Carlisle
    "What is Love" whoever did it
    Tommy James

How are Billy Squire or Elton John embarrassing ? Donovan ? He did sometimes get a little too Hippy Dippy, but Sunshine and Yellow are masterpieces that I ve listened to constantly over the years... Still hate the Carpenters songs. I always wished that fantastic voice had better material.

VictOr358 likes this.

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    MILEY LICKERS, ooops make that MILEY LIKERS. I used a audio stripper to record " Miley and Her Dead Pets", the project she did w Flaming Lips thats a free listen , but not download, on her website. I eliminated the more modern sounding less Pschedelic songs and made "Mileys Culled Pets" . Anyone who wants it I'll send you the Files for the full session and my Culled which I took care in deciding opening track , what follows what etc.
    I loved the comment on the "Wrecking Ball" video..." "Sure,she gets naked and licks a hammer, its sexy. I get naked and lick a hammer its "Get the hell out of Home Depot""

10. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    Def Leppard. Loved 'em since 1980 when I first heard Wasted. Just don't admit it much...

Evil Funk likes this.

11. Vitadog

Vitadog TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL
    Nothing to be ashamed of but I do have to defend myself on occasion - Neil Diamond. My mom had all the early albums and I grew up listening to him, just uploaded full catalog to my streaming service and spent a good three ours revisiting some old friends...

DougM and drlucky like this.

12. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    well lets put it this way. sangs/bands that people laugh at me when I say I like them.

KC and the sunshine band
    ring my bell, anita ward
    its raining men, the weather girls
    Don Johnson, Heart beat
    Eddie Murphy, My girl likes to Party all the time
    and many others like that

VictOr358 likes this.

13. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    Man I just went and listened to some KC. good stuff

14. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    Bee Gees 4Ever!

DougM likes this.

15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    First two albums are Great, then not so much, then the Dark Evil overtook them and their records were put next to Donna Summers.

16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    A ray of light in the Disco Darkness.

17. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee

18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I'm not

Ex-riverman likes this.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I like Elton John. I admit it freely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.