Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Musicians and bands you're embarrassed to admit you like...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by soulgeezer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    OK, we've had threads about our favorite bands, about bands we should like but don't, and just about every other variation of what we like and don't like for whatever reason or for no reason at all...

But, one variation I don't think I've seen is, what musicians or bands do you like that you're embarrassed to tell people you enjoy listening to?

I know I have one or two. For reasons I can't even begin to explain, I enjoy listening to Debbie Gibson. This isn't something I generally admit in a room full of musicians, as they are likely to wonder what the Hell is wrong with me. But, I like her music - especially the first two albums - and I find the songwriting, production, and execution excellent. (Oh, wait, maybe I can explain it!) So, there are actually a number of different levels to my attraction to her music.

Who are the bands and musicians you like, that you hesitate to mention in discussions with other musicians? I can't be the only one who has music they like that they don't generally talk about or admit to, especially to other musicians...

Really, it's not just me, is it? ;) :p

TeleAndSG and RetroTeleRod like this.

2. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2003
    NY
    Sometimes a song is just a song. It has a nice melody or maybe the lyrics are catchy. My brother in law is a snob. He feels like a song has to cure cancer or something. If you like it, enjoy it.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Come on Eileen!

There, I said it.

4. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    I like some Robbie Williams.

5. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    Even my wife makes fun of me for having this on my iPod. She does kind of sound like a whiny spoiled teenaged girl but I love the baseline, guitar, steel & yes even the vocals.

If the song popped up when the guys are around I would probably fumble over myself trying to skip it.:lol:

twr1, stratoman1, teletimetx and 2 others like this.

6. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I like Britney Spears. I like late 70s fusion. I like Nelly. I guess I should be embarrassed about those, but w/e. I can appreciate lots of different kinds of music for lots of different reasons.

Lone Picker and RetroTeleRod like this.

7. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Norway
    Kylie Minogue. There, I said it.

RyCo1983, Mr. Syd and RetroTeleRod like this.

8. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Norway

9. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I must admit I'm slightly embarrassed when I admit to loving Belle and Sebastian.

ndeli55 likes this.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nope, this:

IMG_3247.JPG

fendertx, Dismalhead and RetroTeleRod like this.

11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I have that one. I thought I'd like it, since I like Debbie Gibson. It doesn't appeal in the same way. Don't know why. It's just the way I hear it.

12. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I like a lot of the stuff that songwriter Max Martin has done- even some of the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears stuff! (ducking for cover)
    When I was in High School I learned their song "I want it that way". I said it was to impress the girls...

RetroTeleRod likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

This thread should be renamed that!

14. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee

15. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Miley Cyrus. There, I said it. :D I'd never go to one of her pop shows,but despite all the antics she takes flak for, when she just sings in a simple setting,she's got a hell of a voice. I like it!

Teleterr, Rasmuth, twr1 and 8 others like this.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't know why I liked Tiffany better back then either. Seemed more edgy

17. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Starland Vocal Band or perhaps The Monkees...
    as Jim Carrey's character in the movie Dumb and Dumber pointed out, The Monkees were a huge influence on The Beatles.

18. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    Rihanna. Her voice really turns me on for some reason.

fendertx and steve v like this.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I like some sappy shizz.
    Nilsson, Badfinger, Bread, Carol King and....my first musical love...Karen Carpenter. She just gets better. The more I came to understand phrasing, the more I dug Karen.

Sounds Good, twr1, nadnitram and 7 others like this.

20. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I want it that way is just a well constructed and written song. People might not like the image or production style behind it (or rather in front of it) but it's hard to deny what a great core song it is. It's one where I use it to judge how objective people can be about actual songwriting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.