Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Music Store Deception

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Mar 5, 2018.

1. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    it seems to be the norm around autographs.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    That is so funny, thanks.

william tele likes this.

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    It's hard for me to see any deception here. Autographs usually aren't worth very much, you're putting cheap pickguards on cheap guitars. The autographed guitars I've seen in shops generally sit for years, so it's not going to generate a fast buck.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but it's hard for me to get concerned about this.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    The guitars are being sold as autographed guitars, but these are just autographed pickguards that were later attached to the guitar. It's not like the shop is selling Chinese Les Pauls and claiming they're the real thing, but it's a level of dishonesty that makes me avoid that store.

Tele1966 likes this.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I've seen a Strat pickguard with a Chuck Berry signature. Boy they got that wrong but they thought it was valuable.

7. You-Tele-Me

You-Tele-Me Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2017
    Vancouver Island
    I've seen the occasional guitar with signature(s) on it in the local pawn shops. I haven't recognised the signatures and there was no indication of name or provenance at the store. I don't detect any 'price bump' due to the signature. They are just sad, cheap guitars in need of a good cleaning.

I find the Signe Toly Anderson one amusing since it appears that the seller has conflated her name with the word 'signed'. Toly was her original surname. I'd be more interested if she had signed an ES345 or a Rickenbacker 12 string. Especially the latter since she died on the same day as Paul Kantner.

I suppose a 1980s Hondo Strat may be rare, but would it be sought after with or without a dubious signature?

8. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    My relic'd Strat was not only signed by Chris Duarte, but he played it for his warmup at a gig in Phoenix. I bought it from the guy who relic'd it, but I only paid the selling price of a CV Strat($350). I have seen a bunch of crap guitars on Craig's with questionable artist's sigs trying to sell them like they are gold. I won't sell this one.

My New Strat With Chris D..JPG
    My New Strat 1.JPG

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I understand what's going on, but I don't see deception. Autographs don't sell guitars. If anything, autographs keep guitars from selling. If the objection you're having boils down to autographed guitars, versus guitars with autographed pickguards then I think you should go stand in front of Walgreens and yell at cars for a while.

I just don't see this as any kind of a big deal.

10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    In general, that's how the signature racket is run. Wayyy too hard to drag around a bunch of guitars to get signed at events. You carry a small pile of pickguards, and get them signed then remount then to guitars back at the shop.

No real deception in my eyes, and I imagine much of the market for these low end crap guitars with signatures is mostly non-players.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    smartsoul72 likes this.

11. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    pennsylvania
    Yea, I can't really imagine someone saying, "wait a minute! You mean this pickguard wasn't on this guitar when it was signed?!"
    I think it's just a cheesy way to give a musician's signature a rock'n'roll aura.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    When I was younger I had a VJ white Squier Strat and a Black lawsuit Ibanez Strat because Jeff Beck Wired & Blow by Blow were two of my favorite albums. I took the pickgaurd off the white Strat in hopes that Jeff could sign it when my wife and I saw him from backstage at Summerfest.

I don't think it's worth much (like if I put it on eBay) but to me it's an absolute treasure. It's priceless to me because I met my hero.

At $300 I don't think the business person is deceiving anyone or being sh*tty. There are big fans out there. People were paying $1000 for Brett Farve autographed footballs back in the day. Let the consumers consume. The guy had to go out and get the autograph and he had to buy the crappy guitar. I wonder if he's clearing $100 when all is said and done.

I paid $20 for an autographed 8 x 10 of Shelby Lynne. That's the only autograph that I've bought.

Here's my pride and joy pickgaurd.

[​IMG]

Jeff Beck was holding a Beck's beer and that cracked me up.

Terry Bozzio was also enjoying a Beck's beer (shirtless with big hoop rings in his pierced nipples and that really disturbed me). Too much info? Sorry. I digress.

$300 is ok. If it were an autographed jersey in a sports store it would be $3000.

13. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    I sold a Neil Zaza guitar to a guy. He came to my house, and so did Neil, I had Neil sign the back of the headstock in the guy's presence. He was happy!

14. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    Yup, I see these a lot!

15. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    Exactly, I thought about taking a pickguard to a show to get autographed once, I was certainly not going to bring my guitar and I'd never want to get rid of the pickguard if I ever sold the guitar.

16. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    Be sure to check out these two videos:

17. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Fascinating. Okay, well I've certainly been educated. I had no idea that this was a thing. I appreciate all the info and insight.

18. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    $300 for a Hondo Strat seems like a lot. A crap guitar is still crap even if it's rare.

Anyway, this is the same store that puts Fender stickers on crap guitars. The owner told me himself when I was looking at an old "Telecaster." "Well, that's what people want to see on the headstock." Despite the lack of concern about the signatures, it's not a store I'll go back to.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Any attempt at fraud really gets on my nerves. This is definitely sketchy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.